|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Monkey call to help him defeat the Dragon King Son?
2. Where does Che'n have to leave his ill mother?
3. What can the hat and coat do to Monkey if Tripitaka repeats a chant?
4. What does the Patriarch do to Monkey when Monkey shows off his powers?
5. What does the Stone Monkey force the Dragon King's brothers to give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jade Emperor try to control Monkey?
2. How does Monkey kill the Demon?
3. What does the Patriach Subodhi teach the Stone Monkey?
4. How does Monkey trick Pigsy?
5. How does Jade Emperor try to make Monkey mortal?
6. What does the Stone Monkey see on the other side of the waterfall?
7. Why does the Stone Monky leave his brethren?
8. Why do the farmers want Monkey and Tripitaka to help them?
9. How does Ts'ui add twenty years to the Emperor's life?
10. How is Jade Emperor a wise leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Monkey is translated from Chinese into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Ch'Eng-En Wu gives some of his characters names relating to the Buddhist religion. Pick one of the following names and examine what meaning their name gives to their character and the story in general:
Essay Topic 3
Compare Monkey's character to the character he was at the beginning of the book to the character he is at the end.
1. What did Monkey hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Monkey's ideas about life?
3. How has Monkey's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)