|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monkey do when Tripitaka reprimands him for killing the thieves?
2. What can the hat and coat do to Monkey if Tripitaka repeats a chant?
3. Who attacks both Monkey and Tripitaka?
4. What do the Gods put monkey in charge of the second time?
5. Where does the Stone Monkey live with the other monkeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the farmers want Monkey and Tripitaka to help them?
2. How does Ts'ui add twenty years to the Emperor's life?
3. How does Monkey escape death?
4. How is Jade Emperor a wise leader?
5. How does Pigsy join the group?
6. How does Jade Emperor try to control Monkey?
7. How does Wen-ch'iao save her child?
8. What is the magic coat and hat that Kuan-yin gives to Tripitaka for?
9. Why does the Stone Monkey return to his brethren?
10. How does the Stone Monkey become King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the animals in the book and examine the myths that surround that animal in popular culture. How did these myths develop? What is the truth behind the myth?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)