|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the King of Death?
2. Who do Monkey and Tripitake see come out of the river?
3. What does the patriarch teach the Stone Monkey?
4. What is the Stone Monkey put into for 49 days?
5. What does the Stone Monkey say Buddha should make him king of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the challenge Buddha lays down for Monkey?
2. In what way is Tripitaka not well suited to adventure?
3. Why do the farmers want Monkey and Tripitaka to help them?
4. Why does Kuan-yin think Hsuan Tsang will make a good script seeker?
5. How does Pigsy join the group?
6. Why does Monkey go off to find religion?
7. How does Ts'ui add twenty years to the Emperor's life?
8. Why does the Patriarach banish the Stone Monkey?
9. How does Tripiakata get to Monkey?
10. What does the Stone Monkey see on the other side of the waterfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Monkey is translated from Chinese into English. How much meaning can a book loses through a translation? What aspects of the book do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)