|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Julia to become a cynic?
2. What caused people to refer to Julia as a saint?
3. Who once touched Virginia in a sexual manner?
4. How did Virginia Woolf make herself improve her skills?
5. How does Virginia describe Julia's second husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Leslie do when the boys would all leave for the day to their different endeavors?
2. Why did Virginia choose to write A Sketch of the Past?
3. How was Julia raised?
4. What did Leslie do when Virginia and Vanessa would host their luncheons?
5. How did Vanessa respond to her stepfather's changing moods?
6. What did George once do to Virginia, and how did this affect her in adulthood?
7. Why did some people object to publishing this book?
8. What does Virginia say is the fundamental purpose of existence?
9. Why does Woolf say her recollections about her mother might be inaccurate?
10. How were the members of Old Bloomsbury thought of by most of the higher society members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Virginia's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)