|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Julia to become a cynic?
2. How did Virginia think her idea of existence fit in with other artists like her?
3. What was the name of Virginia's oldest nephew?
4. What literary device is used for most of the dialogue in Reminiscences?
5. How many wives had Leslie had before he married Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virginia say is the fundamental purpose of existence?
2. What would Leslie do when the boys would all leave for the day to their different endeavors?
3. Why did some people object to publishing this book?
4. What did Leslie do when Virginia and Vanessa would host their luncheons?
5. How did Jack comfort himself after losing Stella so soon after their marriage?
6. How did her discussions with Strachey change Virginia's mindset about certain things?
7. How did Stella compare physically with her brothers?
8. How is this story (The Memoir Club Contributions) not necessarily appropriate for a submission in the Memoir Club?
9. What happened between George and Virginia after one party?
10. What did the Memoir Club tell Virginia to write about, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Virginia's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Virginia's life?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
What did the title of this book mean? Why was it significant to Virginia's life and writings?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)