|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused people to refer to Julia as a saint?
2. What was the last name of Virginia's real father?
3. What was the name of Julia's first husband?
4. Who once touched Virginia in a sexual manner?
5. What attracted Julia to her second husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Virginia went to Paddington Station after her mother's death?
2. Why was Virginia friends with Sybil Colfax?
3. Who was Lady Ottoline Morrell?
4. Why does Virginia say it was hard to fully understand and write about her mother?
5. What did the Memoir Club tell Virginia to write about, and why?
6. How did Stella compare physically with her brothers?
7. What was Reminiscences about, and what did it display about her skill?
8. What gave Virginia a sense of self-importance?
9. Why does Virginia say her memories of the past remained so clear and concise?
10. Why did some people object to publishing this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
What did the title of this book mean? Why was it significant to Virginia's life and writings?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)