|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virginia say Julia never had with any of her children?
2. Which part of her mind does Virginia say made the first memory of the vacation home?
3. What is "A Sketch From the Past" about?
4. What was the name of the most important sister to Virginia?
5. How did the first family vacation turn out, after Stella's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Virginia friends with Sybil Colfax?
2. What did the Memoir Club tell Virginia to write about, and why?
3. What did Virginia do early in her career to make herself a better writer?
4. How is this story (The Memoir Club Contributions) not necessarily appropriate for a submission in the Memoir Club?
5. What was Virginia's first vivid memory?
6. What did George try to do after Stella's death, and how did Virginia respond to this?
7. What was Reminiscences about, and what did it display about her skill?
8. How did Virginia define a snob?
9. What was the normal breakfast routine in the house in Hyde Park?
10. Why does Virginia say her memories of Julia were so idealized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were two main schools of thought during the time of this book, Edwardian and Victorian. Please use examples from the book to compare and contrast these two important schools of thought.
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how did these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)