|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attracted Julia to her second husband?
2. What was the last name of Virginia's real father?
3. What does Virginia say saved Stella from physical grieving?
4. What is "A Sketch From the Past" about?
5. What did Stella die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Leslie do when the boys would all leave for the day to their different endeavors?
2. Why did Julia marry her two husbands?
3. What did George make Virginia do, and why?
4. What did Virginia see as a symbol of her life after Stella's death?
5. What happened to Julia after her first husband's death?
6. What happened when Virginia went to Paddington Station after her mother's death?
7. How did her discussions with Strachey change Virginia's mindset about certain things?
8. What did Virginia notice about her own memory?
9. How did Stella compare physically with her brothers?
10. Why did Virginia choose to write A Sketch of the Past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were two main schools of thought during the time of this book, Edwardian and Victorian. Please use examples from the book to compare and contrast these two important schools of thought.
Essay Topic 2
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Virginia's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Virginia's life?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how did the people touched by it react? How did certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what caused these changes?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)