|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Henry mistake for leprosy in Chapter 15?
2. What does Hokea have of Rachel's?
3. What happens after a customer notices Rachel's crippled hand?
4. What happens in December, 1980?
5. What year is it in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year does the Endnote take place? Why have Ruth and her daughter travelled to Kalaupapa?
2. What does Ruth want to know when Rachel first contacts her? How does Ruth react to Rachel's explanation?
3. Where does Rachel find a job in Chapter 22? Why is she fired?
4. At the end of the novel, what are the residents of Kalaupapa worried about?
5. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel fear about being released from the settlement?
6. What causes Francine's death?
7. What is Lani excited to show Rachel in Chapter 15?
8. What does Rachel think when she sees Honolulu for the first time in more than fifty years?
9. What causes Rachel to feel ashamed when visiting Jake at the lighthouse in Chapter 14?
10. In Chapter 21, what does Rachel discover about the stories her father told her about her family for many years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of religion in the novel. Is religion an important element of the story? Why or why not? Is Rachel a religious person? How does religion influence her choices in life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brennert's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Brennert use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of escape. Why does Rachel yearn to escape her life? How does she go about doing so? How is she finally able to escape Moloka'i? How does she feel once she has left?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)