|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel decide to leave the facility in Chapter 14?
2. What did Rachel do a lot of in her last twenty years?
3. What is found floating in the sea at the end of Chapter 20?
4. How many years is Crossen sentenced to prison?
5. What is Kenji's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event seems to aggravate Crossen's anger in Chapter 19? On the night that Kenji dies, why did he go over to Crossen's home?
2. Why did Kenji send money to his family for many years? What made him stop?
3. In Chapter 21, what does Rachel discover about the stories her father told her about her family for many years?
4. How does Rachel react to the news of her pregnancy?
5. Why did Crossen choose to be sent to the leprosarium at Kalaupapa instead of Carville?
6. What difficulty does Rachel have once she arrives in Honolulu?
7. In what year does the Endnote take place? Why have Ruth and her daughter travelled to Kalaupapa?
8. What did Rachel do in the last twenty years of her life?
9. What punishment does Crossen receive for killing Kenji?
10. What does Ruth want to know when Rachel first contacts her? How does Ruth react to Rachel's explanation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the characters Sister Catherine and Haleola . What does the reader learn of their pasts and family lives? What are their defining characteristics? Describe their relationships with Rachel. What comparisons can be made between these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Brennert's use of symbolism in the novel "Moloka'i. " What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and isolation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Rachel's time at Kalihi and Bishop Home. Why is she sent to these two places? What does she encounter when she first arrives in Kalihi? Describe her emotions in Kalihi. How does she feel about living at Bishop Home when she first arrives? What other characters live there? How do they impact Rachel's life?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)