|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Rachel about during their first meeting?
2. What year is it in Chapter 15?
3. What year is it in the Endnote?
4. What does Rachel see in the sky in Chapter 14?
5. What year is it in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lani excited to show Rachel in Chapter 15?
2. How does Rachel react to the news of her pregnancy?
3. What brings some new residents to Kalaupapa in Chapter 13? What do Rachel and Jake find they have a shared interest in?
4. What event seems to aggravate Crossen's anger in Chapter 19? On the night that Kenji dies, why did he go over to Crossen's home?
5. Who meets Ruth and Peggy when they arrive at Kalaupapa?
6. After gaining access to Ruth's adoption papers, what does Rachel find out about Ruth's adoptive family?
7. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel hope to do if she and Kenji become eligible for temporary release from the settlement?
8. What punishment does Crossen receive for killing Kenji?
9. What difficulty does Rachel have once she arrives in Honolulu?
10. Why is Henry delighted when he becomes ill in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Rachel throughout the novel. What struggles does Rachel face? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of escape. Why does Rachel yearn to escape her life? How does she go about doing so? How is she finally able to escape Moloka'i? How does she feel once she has left?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Moloka'i." Who are the members of Rachel's family? Is family important to Rachel? How does Rachel's family affect her decisions and actions? Describe Rachel's relationship with her father and daughter.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)