|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel convince Kenji not to do in Chapter 15?
2. What is Kenji's job?
3. Rachel submits an application to get a copy of __________________ in Chapter 21.
4. What did Gabriel Crossen once do?
5. Who spoke Hawaiian at Pono's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry delighted when he becomes ill in Chapter 15?
2. At the end of the novel, what are the residents of Kalaupapa worried about?
3. What brings some new residents to Kalaupapa in Chapter 13? What do Rachel and Jake find they have a shared interest in?
4. Why did Kenji send money to his family for many years? What made him stop?
5. What punishment does Crossen receive for killing Kenji?
6. Why do the patients at the Leprosy Investigation Station leave one by one?
7. Where does Rachel volunteer to go after her leprosy test comes back positive in Chapter 14?
8. Where does Rachel go after returning to Hawaii in Chapter 22?
9. Where does Rachel find a job in Chapter 22? Why is she fired?
10. How does Crossen think he got leprosy? Who is he full of hate for as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Brennert's use of symbolism in the novel "Moloka'i. " What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and isolation?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the end of the novel "Moloka'i "? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Rachel's growth as a character throughout the novel. How has she grown, and why? Compare Rachel when the reader is first introduced to her to how she is by the end of the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)