|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the superintendent of the leper settlement?
2. How long is the journey from Honolulu to Moloka'i?
3. What charges at Rachel when she runs away?
4. What does Sister Catherine learn about her mother in Chapter 12?
5. Whom does Rachel kiss in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rachel and her friends decide to sneak away to do in Chapter 10?
2. At church, what does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
3. What does Rachel wonder about the ship called the Mokoli'i in Chapter 1?
4. Why are lepers quarantined on Moloka'i?
5. Why does Sister Catherine slap Rachel in Chapter 7?
6. Why did Haleola come to Moloka'i? What does she do there?
7. What does Dorothy find as she is cleaning Rachel after a fight with Sarah?
8. How is Rachel's family affected after she is discovered to have leprosy?
9. What is Rachel's father's job? What does he bring her when he returns home in Chapter 1?
10. What happens to Harry Woo at school in Chapter 3? What rumor circulates the following day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the historical events mentioned in the novel "Moloka'i"? Why might Brennert have chosen to include real historical events in his fictitious story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Moloka'i." Who are the members of Rachel's family? Is family important to Rachel? How does Rachel's family affect her decisions and actions? Describe Rachel's relationship with her father and daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Brennert's use of symbolism in the novel "Moloka'i. " What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and isolation?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)