|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks the people on board when the boat nears Kalaupapa Peninsula?
2. What question does Rachel ask about Jesus in Chapter 1?
3. What does the letter that Haleola reads in Chapter 7 say?
4. What are the names of Rachel's brothers?
5. Why does Sister Catherine take Henry to Kalawao?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rachel's family affected after she is discovered to have leprosy?
2. Why does Rachel decide to run away in Chapter 8?
3. Where does Wyckoff take Rachel in Chapter 3? What does he collect there?
4. Why does Catherine take Henry to Kalawao during his visit to Moloka'i? What family news does Henry share with Rachel during his visit?
5. Why does Rachel want to return to Moloka'i after sneaking away?
6. What happens to Harry Woo at school in Chapter 3? What rumor circulates the following day?
7. What is Rachel interested in during her Sunday school lessons?
8. Why are lepers quarantined on Moloka'i?
9. In Chapter 6, why is Emily happy to have leprosy?
10. Why did Haleola come to Moloka'i? What does she do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Rachel's growth as a character throughout the novel. How has she grown, and why? Compare Rachel when the reader is first introduced to her to how she is by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the novel " Moloka'i." How does Brennert illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Rachel, react to the deaths?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of hope. What does Rachel maintain hope for? How does she remain hopeful despite the dire circumstances she finds herself in? What does Rachel's undying hope tell the reader about her character?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)