|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Haleola?
2. Who is Miss Johnson?
3. What does Rachel's father do for a living?
4. Who is the superintendent of the leper settlement?
5. What is Rachel fascinated by while attending a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel decide to do for Haleola's funeral?
2. Why is Rachel allowed to leave Bishop Home though she is not yet eighteen years old?
3. Where does Wyckoff take Rachel in Chapter 3? What does he collect there?
4. How does Rachel react to being at Kalihi?
5. What is Rachel's father's job? What does he bring her when he returns home in Chapter 1?
6. How is Rachel's family affected after she is discovered to have leprosy?
7. What does Rachel become popular for at the dormitory in Chapter 9?
8. What causes Rachel worry in Chapter 9?
9. How does Mother Marianne react when she sees the girls returning from the party in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Rachel want to return to Moloka'i after sneaking away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Brennert's use of symbolism in the novel "Moloka'i. " What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the theme of death and isolation?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the historical events mentioned in the novel "Moloka'i"? Why might Brennert have chosen to include real historical events in his fictitious story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "Moloka'i." Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations cause these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)