|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rachel when the novel begins?
2. What does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
3. Where is Rachel sent to live in Moloka'i?
4. Why does Rachel run away in Chapter 8?
5. Where is Rachel living at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rachel's family affected after she is discovered to have leprosy?
2. What happens when Rachel follows Moko to his house?
3. What law does Rachel learn the Board of Health is trying to get passed in Chapter 13?
4. What does Rachel hear about a patient who left Moloka'i in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Catherine take Henry to Kalawao during his visit to Moloka'i? What family news does Henry share with Rachel during his visit?
6. In Chapter 6, why is Emily happy to have leprosy?
7. Why is Rachel allowed to leave Bishop Home though she is not yet eighteen years old?
8. How does Rachel react to being at Kalihi?
9. What happens to Harry Woo at school in Chapter 3? What rumor circulates the following day?
10. What is Rachel's father's job? What does he bring her when he returns home in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the novel " Moloka'i." How does Brennert illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters, particularly Rachel, react to the deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of discrimination. How is Rachel discriminated? Why is she discriminated against? How does the social stigma attached to leprosy affect Rachel's life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the characters Sister Catherine and Haleola . What does the reader learn of their pasts and family lives? What are their defining characteristics? Describe their relationships with Rachel. What comparisons can be made between these two characters?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)