|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry wish for in Chapter 12?
2. Whom does Henry visit in Kalawao?
3. What does Haleola tell Rachel during a trip to the beach in Chapter 6?
4. Who sends Rachel letters frequently?
5. Why does Rachel see Dr. Goodhue frequently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rachel and her friends decide to sneak away to do in Chapter 10?
2. Where is Rachel told she will live on Moloka'i? Why doesn't Mother Marianne think Rachel should live with her uncle?
3. Why are lepers quarantined on Moloka'i?
4. Where does Wyckoff take Rachel in Chapter 3? What does he collect there?
5. What does Rachel become popular for at the dormitory in Chapter 9?
6. How does Mother Marianne react when she sees the girls returning from the party in Chapter 10?
7. Why does Catherine take Henry to Kalawao during his visit to Moloka'i? What family news does Henry share with Rachel during his visit?
8. Why does Sister Catherine slap Rachel in Chapter 7?
9. What is Rachel interested in during her Sunday school lessons?
10. How does Sister Catherine ensure that Rachel and Haleola are able to see each other after Pono's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Rachel Kalama. What are Rachel's defining character traits? Whom is she close to in the novel? What happens to Rachel throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brennert's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Brennert use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the historical events mentioned in the novel "Moloka'i"? Why might Brennert have chosen to include real historical events in his fictitious story?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)