|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that Rachel takes to visit Ruth?
(a) S.S. Louisa.
(b) S.S. Lindsey.
(c) S.S. Lurline.
(d) S.S. Louellen.
2. Who spoke Hawaiian at Pono's funeral?
(a) Sister Catherine.
(b) No one.
3. What illness does Henry mistake for leprosy in Chapter 15?
4. What do the patients soon discover about the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) No Hawaiians work there.
(b) It is not well funded.
(c) The facility rules are too strict.
(d) The patients are treated like animals.
5. How many years is Crossen sentenced to prison?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Thirty-five years.
(c) Forty-two years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel convince Kenji not to do in Chapter 15?
2. How many months rent does Rachel have to pay in advance for her apartment?
3. Why does Aunt Florence ask Rachel to go away?
4. What takes place on September 9th, 1909, in the novel?
5. What does Rachel see in the sky in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry delighted when he becomes ill in Chapter 15?
2. What brings some new residents to Kalaupapa in Chapter 13? What do Rachel and Jake find they have a shared interest in?
3. What documents does Rachel set about obtaining in Chapter 21?
4. What did Rachel do in the last twenty years of her life?
5. Why did Kenji send money to his family for many years? What made him stop?
6. Where does Rachel find a job in Chapter 22? Why is she fired?
7. What causes Francine's death?
8. What does Ruth want to know when Rachel first contacts her? How does Ruth react to Rachel's explanation?
9. What difficulty does Rachel have once she arrives in Honolulu?
10. How does Crossen think he got leprosy? Who is he full of hate for as a result?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)