|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen if Rachel tests negative for leprosy one more time in Chapter 14?
(a) She will have to start taking aggressive medicines.
(b) She will be accepted into a medical study.
(c) She will be able to leave Moloka'i.
(d) She will be allowed to live on her own.
2. How long does Ruth wait before calling Rachel again in Chapter 22?
(a) A month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What year is it in Chapter 19?
4. How does Ruth react when she finds out that Rachel had leprosy?
(a) She worries that she might have it, too.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is delighted.
(d) She says she already knew.
5. What did Gabriel Crossen once do?
(a) He wrote a controvercial book.
(b) He was in the American navy.
(c) He was a famous musician.
(d) He worked with Rachel's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel say she will do if eligible for temporary release in Chapter 18?
2. How many years is Crossen sentenced to prison?
3. What happens in December, 1980?
4. How many months rent does Rachel have to pay in advance for her apartment?
5. What are the homes at the settlement provided with in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings some new residents to Kalaupapa in Chapter 13? What do Rachel and Jake find they have a shared interest in?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel fear about being released from the settlement?
3. In what year does the Endnote take place? Why have Ruth and her daughter travelled to Kalaupapa?
4. What does Rachel think when she sees Honolulu for the first time in more than fifty years?
5. What causes Rachel to feel ashamed when visiting Jake at the lighthouse in Chapter 14?
6. In Chapter 21, what does Rachel discover about the stories her father told her about her family for many years?
7. Where does Rachel go after returning to Hawaii in Chapter 22?
8. What does Rachel do every year in memory of her daughter?
9. Why do the patients at the Leprosy Investigation Station leave one by one?
10. What does Ruth want to know when Rachel first contacts her? How does Ruth react to Rachel's explanation?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)