|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rachel's daughter live?
2. How long does Rachel stay in Maui in Chapter 22?
(a) One week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Four days.
3. What do the patients soon discover about the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) The patients are treated like animals.
(b) It is not well funded.
(c) No Hawaiians work there.
(d) The facility rules are too strict.
4. What will happen if Rachel tests negative for leprosy one more time in Chapter 14?
(a) She will be allowed to live on her own.
(b) She will be accepted into a medical study.
(c) She will have to start taking aggressive medicines.
(d) She will be able to leave Moloka'i.
5. How does the Japanese man look everytime Rachel sees him in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel name her baby?
2. Who is Hokea?
3. How does Ruth react when she finds out that Rachel had leprosy?
4. Why do Rachel and others go to the highest point on the Kalaupapa Peninsula?
5. How does Lani feel about her breasts in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel think when she sees Honolulu for the first time in more than fifty years?
2. What event seems to aggravate Crossen's anger in Chapter 19? On the night that Kenji dies, why did he go over to Crossen's home?
3. Why did Crossen choose to be sent to the leprosarium at Kalaupapa instead of Carville?
4. What punishment does Crossen receive for killing Kenji?
5. How does Rachel react to the news of her pregnancy?
6. In Chapter 21, what does Rachel discover about the stories her father told her about her family for many years?
7. What is Lani excited to show Rachel in Chapter 15?
8. What brings some new residents to Kalaupapa in Chapter 13? What do Rachel and Jake find they have a shared interest in?
9. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel fear about being released from the settlement?
10. What does Ruth want to know when Rachel first contacts her? How does Ruth react to Rachel's explanation?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)