|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lawrence McCully Judd's position in 1931?
(a) Mayor of Kalaupapa.
(b) Commissioner for the Island of Moloka'i.
(c) Governor of the Territory of Hawaii.
(d) County sheriff.
2. What takes place on September 9th, 1909, in the novel?
(a) Settlement residents are allowed leave the island on day trips.
(b) A fishing boat sinks off Moloka'i's shore.
(c) The new lighthouse goes into operation.
(d) Rachel is admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.
3. What does Rachel say she will do if eligible for temporary release in Chapter 18?
(a) She will try to find her siblings and her daughter.
(b) She will throw herself a party.
(c) She will move to mainland America.
(d) She will stay in Kalaupapa anyway.
4. What is found floating in the sea at the end of Chapter 20?
(a) A message in a bottle.
(b) Crossen's body.
(c) An abandoned fishing vessel.
(d) An airplane.
5. Why does Aunt Florence ask Rachel to go away?
(a) She is frightened that the neighbors will see her talking to a leper.
(b) She never liked Rachel.
(c) She doesn't believe Rachel is who she claims to be.
(d) She doesn't want her son to meet Rachel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ruth and Peggy travel to in the Endnote?
2. Where is Crossen sent after he is sentenced for his crime?
3. How many months rent does Rachel have to pay in advance for her apartment?
4. What year is it in Chapter 15?
5. What does Rachel remember while in Maui?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry delighted when he becomes ill in Chapter 15?
2. Where does Rachel find a job in Chapter 22? Why is she fired?
3. What causes Francine's death?
4. How does Rachel react to the news of her pregnancy?
5. What punishment does Crossen receive for killing Kenji?
6. What event seems to aggravate Crossen's anger in Chapter 19? On the night that Kenji dies, why did he go over to Crossen's home?
7. After gaining access to Ruth's adoption papers, what does Rachel find out about Ruth's adoptive family?
8. Where does Rachel volunteer to go after her leprosy test comes back positive in Chapter 14?
9. What is Lani excited to show Rachel in Chapter 15?
10. What does Rachel think when she sees Honolulu for the first time in more than fifty years?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)