|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are 'pali'?
(a) The cold gusts of air.
(b) The people.
(c) The cliffs.
(d) The fish.
2. Why does Rachel see Dr. Goodhue frequently?
(a) To inform him about problems at the settlement.
(b) To be tutored by him.
(c) To try every treatment that might cure her leprosy.
(d) To play cards together.
3. Where are the people with leprosy kept on the boat?
(a) They have the same type of quarters as the other passengers.
(b) They are not given a space but are told to sleep on the floor in the hallways.
(c) They are confined to a pen on the deck of the ship.
(d) They are kept in a small room under the ship.
4. What does Sarah tell Rachel about the people boarding the ship in Chapter 1?
(a) They are criminals.
(b) They are missionaries.
(c) They are lepers.
(d) They are rich.
5. What year is it in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it in Chapter 12?
2. Why do Lani, Emily, and Francine go to Haleola's house?
3. How long is the journey from Honolulu to Moloka'i?
4. Whom do Rachel and her mother and siblings wait for at Honolulu Harbor in Chapter 1?
5. What does Rachel's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother Marianne react when she sees the girls returning from the party in Chapter 10?
2. What does Rachel decide to do for Haleola's funeral?
3. What do Rachel and her friends decide to sneak away to do in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Catherine take Henry to Kalawao during his visit to Moloka'i? What family news does Henry share with Rachel during his visit?
5. Why does Rachel want to return to Moloka'i after sneaking away?
6. Why are lepers quarantined on Moloka'i?
7. What causes Rachel worry in Chapter 9?
8. What political event takes place on the day after Pono departs for Moloka'i?
9. Why did Haleola come to Moloka'i? What does she do there?
10. What does Dorothy find as she is cleaning Rachel after a fight with Sarah?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)