|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rachel's destination when she runs away?
2. What question does Rachel ask about Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) Rachel wants to know what sea Jesus was supposed to have walked on.
(b) Rachel wants to know how many animals were allowed on Noah's ark.
(c) Rachel wants to know how to spell 'crucifiction.'
(d) Rachel wants to know when Jesus was alive.
3. What are 'pali'?
(a) The fish.
(b) The people.
(c) The cold gusts of air.
(d) The cliffs.
4. What does Sarah tell Rachel about the people boarding the ship in Chapter 1?
(a) They are criminals.
(b) They are rich.
(c) They are lepers.
(d) They are missionaries.
5. Why does Catherine walk away from Haleola's funeral?
(a) She can't bear to say good-bye to Haleola.
(b) She feels unwelcome.
(c) She is reminded of her recently deceased mother.
(d) She has an appointment to keep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haleola notice when she walks to the beach to meet Rachel in Chapter 10?
2. What does Rachel's father do for a living?
3. What does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
4. What do the children call Mr. Wyckoff?
5. What year is it when the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rachel's family affected after she is discovered to have leprosy?
2. What does Rachel hear about a patient who left Moloka'i in Chapter 12?
3. What does Rachel become popular for at the dormitory in Chapter 9?
4. What does Rachel wonder about the ship called the Mokoli'i in Chapter 1?
5. What does Dorothy find as she is cleaning Rachel after a fight with Sarah?
6. Why is Rachel allowed to leave Bishop Home though she is not yet eighteen years old?
7. Why did Haleola come to Moloka'i? What does she do there?
8. What is Rachel's father's job? What does he bring her when he returns home in Chapter 1?
9. What do Rachel and her friends decide to sneak away to do in Chapter 10?
10. At church, what does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)