|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What charges at Rachel when she runs away?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A wild horse.
(d) A wild pig.
2. Dr. Goodhue comes from ______________.
(a) South Africa.
3. What does Rachel think of the moving pictures?
(a) She is startled by them.
(b) She is bored by them.
(c) She is confused by them.
(d) She is amazed by them.
4. How long is the journey from Honolulu to Moloka'i?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Five hours.
5. How does Rachel feel when her father comes for a visit in Chapter 9?
(a) She feels indifferent.
(b) She is ashamed.
(c) She is nervous.
(d) She is overjoyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel warn Catherine about in Chapter 13?
2. What is Rachel's destination when she runs away?
3. Who is Haleola?
4. What shocks the people on board when the boat nears Kalaupapa Peninsula?
5. Who is the superintendent of the leper settlement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Haleola come to Moloka'i? What does she do there?
2. What is Rachel interested in during her Sunday school lessons?
3. At church, what does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
4. How does Mother Marianne react when she sees the girls returning from the party in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Sister Catherine slap Rachel in Chapter 7?
6. What political event takes place on the day after Pono departs for Moloka'i?
7. Why does Catherine take Henry to Kalawao during his visit to Moloka'i? What family news does Henry share with Rachel during his visit?
8. What causes Rachel worry in Chapter 9?
9. How does Rachel react to being at Kalihi?
10. Why does Rachel decide to run away in Chapter 8?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)