|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been declared illegal on Kalaupapa?
(b) Forcibly confining people.
2. Who does Rachel discover adopted Ruth?
(a) A Hawaiian family.
(b) A Japanese family.
(c) A Korean family.
(d) A white family.
3. Who speaks in Hawaiian at Rachel's funeral?
(a) A kahuna.
(b) Lawrence McCully Judd.
(c) No one.
(d) Ruth and Peggy.
4. How does Lani feel about her breasts in Chapter 15?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She is ecstatic.
(c) She is embarassed.
(d) She is disgusted.
5. Rachel submits an application to get a copy of __________________ in Chapter 21.
(a) Her father's death certificate.
(b) Her marriage certificate.
(c) Her daughter's birth certificate.
(d) Sarah's marriage certificate.
6. What will happen if Rachel tests negative for leprosy one more time in Chapter 14?
(a) She will be able to leave Moloka'i.
(b) She will have to start taking aggressive medicines.
(c) She will be allowed to live on her own.
(d) She will be accepted into a medical study.
7. Why do Rachel and Kenji call the police on Crossen?
(a) He steals from the shop in Kalaupapa.
(b) He beats his girlfriend.
(c) He threatens Rachel with physical harm.
(d) He breaks one of their windows.
8. What does Rachel see in the sky in Chapter 14?
(a) Halley's comet.
(b) A hot air balloon.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
9. Where does Rachel meet Ruth?
(a) At a train station.
(b) At a public park.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At a cafe.
10. What do the radio broadcasts from Oahu announce?
(a) Wildfires are burning in Oahu.
(b) A ferry accident has killed 100 people in Honolulu.
(c) Hawaii has joint the American union.
(d) The Japanese have attacked Hawaii.
11. What does Rachel remember while in Maui?
(a) Facts about Maui's history.
(b) Details about Ruth's adoption.
(c) Childhood memories about her mother.
(d) Tales Haleola told her about Maui.
12. What do the patients soon discover about the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) It is not well funded.
(b) The facility rules are too strict.
(c) The patients are treated like animals.
(d) No Hawaiians work there.
13. Where does Sister Catherine go for vacation in Chapter 17?
(a) New York.
(b) Los Angeles.
14. How do prospective landlords treat Rachel?
(c) With respect.
(d) With pity.
15. How many months rent does Rachel have to pay in advance for her apartment?
(a) One month.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that Rachel takes to visit Ruth?
2. What is Lawrence McCully Judd's position in 1931?
3. What does Ruth tell Rachel about during their first meeting?
4. Why does Rachel tell Lani to see a doctor?
5. Where had Rachel decided to spend her last days?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)