|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Rachel stay in Maui in Chapter 22?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Four days.
2. Rachel submits an application to get a copy of __________________ in Chapter 21.
(a) Her father's death certificate.
(b) Her marriage certificate.
(c) Her daughter's birth certificate.
(d) Sarah's marriage certificate.
3. Why does Rachel tell Lani to see a doctor?
(a) Lani steps on a shard of glass.
(b) Rachel thinks Lani is pregnant.
(c) Lani's leprosy symptoms are worstening.
(d) Rachel thinks Lani has tumors.
4. What is the name of the ship that Rachel takes to visit Ruth?
(a) S.S. Louellen.
(b) S.S. Louisa.
(c) S.S. Lindsey.
(d) S.S. Lurline.
5. How does Ruth react when she finds out that Rachel had leprosy?
(a) She worries that she might have it, too.
(b) She says she already knew.
(c) She is delighted.
(d) She is shocked.
6. What does Rachel convince Kenji not to do in Chapter 15?
(a) Hang himself.
(b) Run away from the settlement.
(c) Jump from the cliffs.
(d) Swim out to sea.
7. Where does Rachel's daughter live?
8. Why does Rachel volunteer to be a patient at the new investigation station?
(a) She tests positive for leprosy.
(b) A famous doctor works there.
(c) Her friends volunteer, too.
(d) Sister Catherine forces her to.
9. What has Kenji had surgery on in Chapter 17?
(a) His toe.
(b) His eyelid.
(c) His hand.
(d) His ear.
10. According to Dr. Goodhue, Lani's health concern in Chapter 15 is caused by _______________.
(a) A botched operation.
(b) Medications counteracting.
(c) A hormonal imbalance.
(d) An infection.
11. Why does Rachel decide to leave the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) To teach the residents of Kalaupapa what she has learned.
(b) She feels healthier than ever.
(c) To make the most of life in Moloka'i.
(d) A nurse accuses her of stealing.
12. How does Aunt Florence react when she sees Rachel in Chapter 21?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is overjoyed.
(c) She thinks Rachel is Sara, her sister.
(d) She denies that Rachel is who she says she is.
13. Who does Rachel discover adopted Ruth?
(a) A Korean family.
(b) A Japanese family.
(c) A Hawaiian family.
(d) A white family.
14. What did Gabriel Crossen once do?
(a) He was a famous musician.
(b) He wrote a controvercial book.
(c) He was in the American navy.
(d) He worked with Rachel's father.
15. What did Rachel do a lot of in her last twenty years?
(a) Charity work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jake Puehu?
2. Crossen believes he got leprosy from ___________.
3. Where does Rachel meet Ruth?
4. What does Rachel have a dream about in Chapter 14?
5. What does Rachel say she will do if eligible for temporary release in Chapter 18?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)