|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Hawaiian Islands on April 1st, 1946?
(a) A typhoon hits.
(b) A tsunami strikes.
(c) A drought begins.
(d) It snows.
2. What are the homes at the settlement provided with in Chapter 18?
(b) Indoor plumbing.
(c) Paved driveways.
(d) New siding and roofs.
3. What lie does Kenji tell Rachel in Chapter 18?
(a) He never loved Rachel.
(b) His leprosy test came back positive.
(c) The world outside Moloka'i has become dangerous.
(d) He doesn't want to leave Moloka'i.
4. What did Gabriel Crossen once do?
(a) He worked with Rachel's father.
(b) He was in the American navy.
(c) He wrote a controvercial book.
(d) He was a famous musician.
5. How does Sarah react when she sees Rachel?.
(a) She screams.
(b) She laughs hysterically.
(c) She faints.
(d) She slams the door in Rachel's face.
6. Lani dies of __________.
(a) Small Pox.
7. What will happen if Rachel tests negative for leprosy one more time in Chapter 14?
(a) She will be able to leave Moloka'i.
(b) She will be accepted into a medical study.
(c) She will have to start taking aggressive medicines.
(d) She will be allowed to live on her own.
8. Why does Kenji stop sending money home?
(a) He has no extra money to send.
(b) His family starts returning the money.
(c) He has received no acknowledgment from his family.
(d) The last of his surviving family dies.
9. What happens after a customer notices Rachel's crippled hand?
(a) Rachel has to wear gloves at work.
(b) Her employer takes an interest in Rachel's life story.
(c) Rachel is fired with no explanation.
(d) Rachel decides to have surgery.
10. Why does Rachel decide to leave the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) She feels healthier than ever.
(b) To make the most of life in Moloka'i.
(c) To teach the residents of Kalaupapa what she has learned.
(d) A nurse accuses her of stealing.
11. How do prospective landlords treat Rachel?
(c) With respect.
(d) With pity.
12. How does Ruth react when she finds out that Rachel had leprosy?
(a) She says she already knew.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She worries that she might have it, too.
(d) She is delighted.
13. What is found floating in the sea at the end of Chapter 20?
(a) An abandoned fishing vessel.
(b) An airplane.
(c) Crossen's body.
(d) A message in a bottle.
14. How long does Ruth wait before calling Rachel again in Chapter 22?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) A month.
(d) One week.
15. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel fear will happen if she and Kenji leave Moloka'i?
(a) She and Kenji will not be able to support themselves financially.
(b) Kenji will no longer need or love her.
(c) The residents of Kalaupapa will miss them.
(d) The outside world will ostracize them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years is Crossen sentenced to prison?
2. Who spoke Hawaiian at Haleola's funeral?
3. What illness does Henry mistake for leprosy in Chapter 15?
4. How does Kenji die in Chapter 19?
5. Where does Rachel get a job upon returning to Honolulu?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)