|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel have a dream about in Chapter 14?
(a) Seeing her father.
(b) Living in Honolulu.
(c) Becoming a nurse.
(d) Making love with Jake.
2. What lie does Kenji tell Rachel in Chapter 18?
(a) He doesn't want to leave Moloka'i.
(b) The world outside Moloka'i has become dangerous.
(c) His leprosy test came back positive.
(d) He never loved Rachel.
3. How many patients go to the new facility when it first opens in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Henry get on a boat in Chapter 16?
(a) To attend Rachel's wedding.
(b) To rescue a drowning man.
(c) To move to Maui.
(d) To travel to mainland America.
5. In Chapter 18, what does Rachel fear will happen if she and Kenji leave Moloka'i?
(a) The outside world will ostracize them.
(b) The residents of Kalaupapa will miss them.
(c) Kenji will no longer need or love her.
(d) She and Kenji will not be able to support themselves financially.
6. How many months rent does Rachel have to pay in advance for her apartment?
(a) One month.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
7. Why does Rachel decide to leave the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) She feels healthier than ever.
(b) To teach the residents of Kalaupapa what she has learned.
(c) A nurse accuses her of stealing.
(d) To make the most of life in Moloka'i.
8. What do the patients soon discover about the facility in Chapter 14?
(a) The patients are treated like animals.
(b) It is not well funded.
(c) The facility rules are too strict.
(d) No Hawaiians work there.
9. Who is Hokea?
(a) A photographer.
(b) A musician.
(c) A poet.
(d) A painter.
10. How does Aunt Florence react when she sees Rachel in Chapter 21?
(a) She denies that Rachel is who she says she is.
(b) She is overjoyed.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She thinks Rachel is Sara, her sister.
11. Rachel and Jake are mutually interested in ____________.
12. What did Gabriel Crossen once do?
(a) He worked with Rachel's father.
(b) He was in the American navy.
(c) He was a famous musician.
(d) He wrote a controvercial book.
13. How does the Japanese man look everytime Rachel sees him in Chapter 15?
14. What does Rachel learn is the reason Dorothy disappeared?
(a) Dorothy moved away to the mainland.
(b) Dorothy developed leprosy and died.
(c) Dorothy ran away with Kimo after he developed leprosy.
(d) Dorothy fell in love with another man and married him.
15. What takes place on September 9th, 1909, in the novel?
(a) The new lighthouse goes into operation.
(b) Settlement residents are allowed leave the island on day trips.
(c) Rachel is admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.
(d) A fishing boat sinks off Moloka'i's shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Hawaiian Islands on April 1st, 1946?
2. How does Rachel get a cut on her head in Chapter 21?
3. What happens in December, 1980?
4. What happens after a customer notices Rachel's crippled hand?
5. What does Rachel convince Kenji not to do in Chapter 15?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)