|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the journey from Honolulu to Moloka'i?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Ten hours.
(d) Five hours.
2. What do Rachel's classmates call leprosy?
(a) The 'swift sickness.'
(b) The 'scary sickness.'
(c) The 'separating sickness.'
(d) The 'shameful sickness.'
3. What do the children call Mr. Wyckoff?
(a) A bounty hunter.
(b) The devil incarnate.
(c) A genius.
(d) A ghost.
4. What does Henry decide to do instead of going out to sea?
(b) Travel overseas.
(c) Take a job onshore.
(d) Open a business in the big city.
5. Where are the settlement residents shown a movie in Chapter 13?
(a) At the church.
(b) In the hospital basement.
(c) At Bishop's House.
(d) On a baseball field.
6. Who is Sarah?
(a) Rachel's neighbor.
(b) Rachel's aunt.
(c) Rachel's sister.
(d) Rachel's mother.
7. Who is Haleola?
(a) Uncle Pono's friend.
(b) Her new teacher.
(c) Francine's mother.
(d) Her aunt.
8. Who is Father Damien?
(a) A priest who became famous for going to Moloka'i.
(b) A priest who has publically denounced those with leprosy.
(c) A priest who has helped Rachel while she adjusts to her new life.
(d) A priest who is expected to visit around Rachel's birthday.
9. Who is the letter from that Haleola reads while Pono sleeps in Chapter 7?
(b) R.W. Meyer.
(c) Rachel's mother.
(d) Sister Catherine.
10. What does Mother Marianne ask Rachel when she returns from the party in Chapter 10?
(a) Who helped them get out of the settlement.
(b) Why the girls returned.
(c) How Rachel thinks she should be punished.
(d) Whether they had fun at the party.
11. Where is Rachel living at the beginning of the novel?
12. How does Rachel escape from Moko in Chapter 8?
(a) She throws boiling water on him.
(b) She throws dirt in his eyes.
(c) She drops a large stone on his foot.
(d) She strikes him with a stick.
13. Whom does Sister Catherine write to in Chapter 9?
(a) Rachel's father.
(b) Catherine's mother.
(c) Rachel's mother.
14. How much does Wyckoff collect for bringing Rachel to the Kalihi Receiving Station?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. Who dies at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Sister Catherine.
(b) Uncle Pono.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Rachel letters frequently?
2. Who falls on her way home in Chapter 10?
3. What happens when Rachel tries to send a letter to her mother?
4. What do Dorothy and Henry often argue about?
5. What does Henry wish for in Chapter 12?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)