|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine slap Rachel in Chapter 7?
(a) Rachel throws a rock at another girl.
(b) Rachel swears.
(c) Rachel says she hates God.
(d) Catherine is in a bad mood.
2. Who invites Haleola to come on outings with the Bishop Home girls?
(a) Sister Catherine.
(b) The superintendent.
(c) Mother Marianne.
3. What does the preacher say about leprosy in Chapter 3?
(a) It is a disease that comes from immoral behaviour.
(b) It is one of God's miracles.
(c) It is God's way of keeping the population under control.
(d) It is a mystery.
4. Whom do Rachel and her mother and siblings wait for at Honolulu Harbor in Chapter 1?
(a) A fireworks show.
(b) Rachel's father.
(c) A package from relatives abroad.
(d) A shipment of new cooking ingredients.
5. What happens to Sister Catherine's letter in Chapter 9?
(a) It is lost.
(b) It is intercepted by the government.
(c) It is shredded.
(d) It is returned.
6. Who is Father Damien?
(a) A priest who became famous for going to Moloka'i.
(b) A priest who has helped Rachel while she adjusts to her new life.
(c) A priest who has publically denounced those with leprosy.
(d) A priest who is expected to visit around Rachel's birthday.
7. What gift does Rachel's father give to Rachel in Chapter 1?
(a) A matryoshka doll.
(b) A rag doll.
(c) A voodoo doll.
(d) A dollhouse.
8. What does Sarah tell Rachel about the people boarding the ship in Chapter 1?
(a) They are criminals.
(b) They are lepers.
(c) They are missionaries.
(d) They are rich.
9. What does Haleola tell Rachel during a trip to the beach in Chapter 6?
(a) Hawaiian folk tales.
(c) Stories from her childhood.
(d) Current events.
10. What does the family begin to call Rachel in Chapter 2?
11. Where are the settlement residents shown a movie in Chapter 13?
(a) At Bishop's House.
(b) On a baseball field.
(c) In the hospital basement.
(d) At the church.
12. Whose bed is empty at the end of Chapter 6?
13. What does Mother Marianne decide following Pono's death?
(a) Rachel will be allowed to visit Haleola once a month.
(b) Haleola will not be allowed to visit Rachel.
(c) Rachel will not be able to visit Pono's gravesite.
(d) Rachel will move in with Haleola.
14. How does Rachel become a popular storyteller at Bishop Home?
(a) By retelling tales she hears from Haleola.
(b) By telling stories her father used to tell her when she was young.
(c) By telling ghost stories.
(d) By reading books borrowed from Haleola.
15. What happens when Rachel tries to send a letter to her mother?
(a) The letter goes mysteriously missing.
(b) The letter is sent back.
(c) The letter is forwarded to the correct address.
(d) The letter falls in a puddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the superintendent of the leper settlement?
2. What does the letter that Haleola reads in Chapter 7 say?
3. What does Rachel's father do for a living?
4. What frightens Rachel when she first meets Francine?
5. What are 'pali'?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)