|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Marianne ask Rachel when she returns from the party in Chapter 10?
(a) Whether they had fun at the party.
(b) Why the girls returned.
(c) How Rachel thinks she should be punished.
(d) Who helped them get out of the settlement.
2. What does Henry tell Rachel about her sister Sarah in Chapter 10?
(a) Sarah had a baby.
(b) Sarah has leprosy.
(c) Sarah is at college.
(d) Sarah is getting married.
3. Whom does Rachel kiss in Chapter 10?
4. What does the board of health put on the fence in front of the Kamala's house?
(a) A sign saying that the house contains leprosy.
(b) Yellow police tape.
(c) A wreath.
(d) A large red 'x.'
5. What does Rachel warn Catherine about in Chapter 13?
(a) There is bad weather coming.
(b) Mother Marianne will be at the funeral.
(c) That Catherine might contract leprosy.
(d) The funeral will not be Christian.
6. Who is Mr. Wyckoff?
(a) An inspector from the Board of Health.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) A visiting dignitary.
(d) The principal of Rachel's school.
7. Who falls on her way home in Chapter 10?
8. How does Rachel become a popular storyteller at Bishop Home?
(a) By telling stories her father used to tell her when she was young.
(b) By telling ghost stories.
(c) By retelling tales she hears from Haleola.
(d) By reading books borrowed from Haleola.
9. What does the foreign government with troops stationed in Hawaii declare?
(a) The troops are prepared to attack at any moment.
(b) The troops will be leaving shortly.
(c) The troops were wrongly sent to Hawaii.
(d) The people of Hawaii are expected to obey the commands of the troops.
10. Why does Rachel see Dr. Goodhue frequently?
(a) To be tutored by him.
(b) To inform him about problems at the settlement.
(c) To try every treatment that might cure her leprosy.
(d) To play cards together.
11. How old is Rachel when the novel begins?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Four years old.
12. Why is Pono unable to visit Rachel in Chapter 7?
(a) He is busy.
(b) He is injured.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is out of town.
13. How does Rachel feel about her Uncle Pono?
(a) She is uncomfortable around him.
(b) She is indifferent towards him.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She is particularly fond of him.
14. Who sends Rachel letters frequently?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
15. What is Rachel's father's name?
(a) Peter Kalama.
(b) Joseph Kalama.
(c) Edward Kalama.
(d) Henry Kalama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family begin to call Rachel in Chapter 2?
2. Where is Rachel transferred after Kalihi?
3. What year is it in Chapter 10?
4. Who is Rachel reunited with in Moloka'i?
5. Where are the settlement residents shown a movie in Chapter 13?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)