|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it in Chapter 12?
2. How far does Rachel and her family have to walk to church?
(a) A quarter of a mile.
(b) Half a mile.
(c) A mile.
(d) Two city blocks.
3. What does Rachel warn Catherine about in Chapter 13?
(a) The funeral will not be Christian.
(b) There is bad weather coming.
(c) That Catherine might contract leprosy.
(d) Mother Marianne will be at the funeral.
4. What are 'pali'?
(a) The cliffs.
(b) The fish.
(c) The cold gusts of air.
(d) The people.
5. Who is the letter from that Haleola reads while Pono sleeps in Chapter 7?
(b) R.W. Meyer.
(c) Sister Catherine.
(d) Rachel's mother.
6. Who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) King Kalakuana.
(b) Queen Kaʻahumanu.
(c) Princess Ruth Keʻelikōlani.
(d) King Kamehameha III.
7. Who is Miss Johnson?
(a) Rachel's dance instructor.
(b) Rachel's neighbor.
(c) Rachel's teacher.
(d) Rachel's tutor.
8. Who is Haleola?
(a) Her new teacher.
(b) Uncle Pono's friend.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Francine's mother.
9. Why does Rachel jump into the rough waters in Chapter 13?
(a) To help a drowning child.
(b) To get away from Moko.
(c) To save Catherine.
(d) To kill herself.
10. Why does Rachel see Dr. Goodhue frequently?
(a) To try every treatment that might cure her leprosy.
(b) To inform him about problems at the settlement.
(c) To be tutored by him.
(d) To play cards together.
11. Where is Rachel transferred after Kalihi?
12. Whom does Rachel kiss in Chapter 11?
(c) Dr. Goodhue.
13. What happens to Sister Catherine's letter in Chapter 9?
(a) It is shredded.
(b) It is intercepted by the government.
(c) It is returned.
(d) It is lost.
14. What does Haleola notice when she walks to the beach to meet Rachel in Chapter 10?
(a) The remains of a rowboat.
(b) A storm approaching.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A sick man.
15. What charges at Rachel when she runs away?
(a) A wild pig.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A wild horse.
(d) A coyote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel teased about in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Catherine walk away from Haleola's funeral?
3. How does Rachel escape from Moko in Chapter 8?
4. Whom does Rachel see while boarding the boat?
5. How does Rachel feel during her first examination in Chapter 3?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)