|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry wish for in Chapter 12?
(a) Rachel would be let out of the settlement.
(b) Rachel could transfer to another leper settlement.
(c) Sarah would visit him.
(d) He would contract leprosy.
2. What does Haleola tell Rachel during a trip to the beach in Chapter 6?
(b) Hawaiian folk tales.
(c) Current events.
(d) Stories from her childhood.
3. What does the family begin to call Rachel in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Rachel board the boat in Chapter 4?
(a) Honolulu Harbor.
(b) Ala Wai Harbor.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Maui Harbor.
5. What does Henry tell Rachel about her mother in Chapter 9?
(a) She will visit soon.
(b) She took the children and moved away.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is working in a factory.
6. What gift does Rachel's father give to Rachel in Chapter 1?
(a) A rag doll.
(b) A matryoshka doll.
(c) A dollhouse.
(d) A voodoo doll.
7. How long is the journey from Honolulu to Moloka'i?
(a) Ten hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Five hours.
8. What question does Rachel ask about Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) Rachel wants to know what sea Jesus was supposed to have walked on.
(b) Rachel wants to know how many animals were allowed on Noah's ark.
(c) Rachel wants to know how to spell 'crucifiction.'
(d) Rachel wants to know when Jesus was alive.
9. Why does Rachel see Dr. Goodhue frequently?
(a) To inform him about problems at the settlement.
(b) To be tutored by him.
(c) To try every treatment that might cure her leprosy.
(d) To play cards together.
10. How old is Rachel when the novel begins?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Eight years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Four years old.
11. Whom does Rachel befriend upon moving into the dormitory at Moloka'i?
12. Why does Rachel run away in Chapter 8?
(a) She is worried about Pono.
(b) She dislikes her guardians.
(c) She is scared of the superintendent.
(d) She wants to go find her family.
13. How much does Wyckoff collect for bringing Rachel to the Kalihi Receiving Station?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
14. What type of racing does Rachel watch in Chapter 12?
(a) Boat racing.
(b) A childrens footrace.
(c) Horse racing.
(d) Greyhound racing.
15. Where are the people with leprosy kept on the boat?
(a) They have the same type of quarters as the other passengers.
(b) They are confined to a pen on the deck of the ship.
(c) They are kept in a small room under the ship.
(d) They are not given a space but are told to sleep on the floor in the hallways.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rachel transferred after Kalihi?
2. Why is Pono unable to visit Rachel in Chapter 7?
3. What charges at Rachel when she runs away?
4. What is Rachel's destination when she runs away?
5. Who falls on her way home in Chapter 10?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)