Part One-The Blue Vault of Heaven, Chapters 1 & 2
• The story begins in Honolulu in 1891. Rachel is five years old.
• Rachel has an interest in geography. Her father is a sailor, and she wants to see the world like he does.
• Rachel's family has a feast to welcome her father back from sea.
• King Kalakuana dies. The children have the day off school.
• Rachel does not understand death. She thinks of it as a temporary separation.
• Seeing her father off at the harbor, Rachel sees a ship called the Mokolii that is being boarded by lepers who are being taken away to Moloka'i.
• The health inspector, Nakamura, visits Uncle Pono's house and realizes Pono must be nearby. He finds him outside.
• Uncle Pono is confined at the Kalihi Receiving Station because he has leprosy.
• Dorothy discovers a blemish on Rachel's leg. With treatment the blemish goes away, but soon returns...
This section contains 1,721 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)