|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the governess' new business?
2. What is Moll's initial reaction to her new life of crime?
3. What is in the letter Moll receives after the baby is born?
4. After her Bath lover deserts her, what does Moll have?
5. What does Moll say about her delivery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moll do after the man falls into a drunken sleep?
2. What passes through Moll's head as she marries the banker?
3. Why does Moll stop stealing for a while?
4. What does James tell Moll as she departs for London?
5. How does Moll escape capture when a former partner in crime gets caught by the police?
6. Where do Moll and James end up after Newgate?
7. Why does Moll not make a play for the banker?
8. Describe how Moll and James part.
9. What adventure does Moll have at the gaming house?
10. How does the governess try to prepare Moll for hanging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on child labor. Start with the way it was in Moll's day and note how changes have been made in Europe and America. Discuss the bad effects on exploited children and places in the world where child labor is still a problem.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages the disparity between the rich and the poor in 18th century England and the colonies. Discuss to what extent that disparity is directly related to feudalism and how it affected the history of the British colonies in America.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the subject of penitence. Point out what real penitence is. Discuss how Moll's penitence looks less like sorrow for her sins and more like sorrow that she was caught. Contrast her with the governess who seems to be genuinely sorry for her past life at the end of the novel.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)