|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moll want to become?
2. What does Moll say marriages are the consequences of in the country?
3. What does Moll discover about her husband in Virginia?
4. What is Moll looking for after the death of her first husband?
5. What does the younger brother retort to his sister's talk about money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Moll's life like at first in Virginia?
2. How does Moll protest the older brother's suggestion?
3. What is the final payoff and the conditions to Moll to release the gentleman to whom she had been mistress?
4. What does Moll learn about the Men who visit Bath during the summer season?
5. What are the stories her mother-in-law tells that eventually reveal she was herself transported from Newgate prison to America?
6. What is Defoe's stated purpose in presenting this book?
7. What is the complication that arises in the new family where Moll lives?
8. How does the gentleman react when he learns of Moll's pregnancy?
9. What solution do Moll and her husband-brother come up with to resolve the situation?
10. What is the purpose of the preface to Moll Flanders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the novel as a moral lesson. As noted in the Preface, novels of Defoe's day needed to teach some sort of moral lesson. Good always triumphs over evil, and evil is always punished. Express your idea as to whether Defoe was subtly rejecting that notion with the writing of MOLL FLANDERS. Give examples from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages the position of women in 18th century England and in the colonies. Define the limitations placed on women, their responsibility regarding having children, their lack of rights when a marriage or relationship breaks up, the kind of labor they are limited to doing and the pay scale they are offered.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages the disparity between the rich and the poor in 18th century England and the colonies. Discuss to what extent that disparity is directly related to feudalism and how it affected the history of the British colonies in America.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)