|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moll help the young woman next door do?
2. How does Moll get one last £50 from her brother/husband in Virginia?
3. What does Moll want to become?
4. What does the narrator say the problem is with writing such a story of three decades of crime?
5. What does the younger brother protest about with his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moll become closely involved with a wealthy man in Bath?
2. As the story opens, why does the writer not reveal her real name?
3. Why does Moll put off the younger brother's proposal of marriage?
4. How does the gentleman react when he learns of Moll's pregnancy?
5. What is Defoe's stated purpose in presenting this book?
6. What happens to Moll after her husband dies?
7. What is Moll's experience with her second husband?
8. Under what condition does Moll arrive back in England.
9. Who takes Moll in after the death of the Nurse?
10. How does Moll protest the older brother's suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how poverty sometimes leads to crime. Use the situation in mid 18th century England as a starting point and then make your essay more general. Discuss who is really at fault when the poor resort to stealing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages the position of women in 18th century England and in the colonies. Define the limitations placed on women, their responsibility regarding having children, their lack of rights when a marriage or relationship breaks up, the kind of labor they are limited to doing and the pay scale they are offered.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on self-justification. Start with Moll and show how she justified everything she did, excusing herself on the grounds of poverty. From the example, discuss how people tend to make allowances for themselves when they would condemn other people for doing the same things.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)