|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moll go to the aid of the young woman next door to her?
2. What does the sister tell her older brother about having money but not great beauty when looking for a husband?
3. What type of instruction does the narrator say is included in the story?
4. What problem does Moll have getting the money her old nurse had saved for her?
5. What happens with the younger brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution do Moll and her husband-brother come up with to resolve the situation?
2. What is the final payoff and the conditions to Moll to release the gentleman to whom she had been mistress?
3. What is Moll's experience with her second husband?
4. Under what condition does Moll arrive back in England.
5. What is Moll's life like at first in Virginia?
6. What does the editor claim about Moll's new life in the American colonies?
7. What is the purpose of the preface to Moll Flanders?
8. How does the gentleman react when he learns of Moll's pregnancy?
9. Who takes Moll in after the death of the Nurse?
10. How does Moll protest the older brother's suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on how well you think the characters are drawn in MOLL FLANDERS. In your analysis, mention whether you know how they looked, what kind of clothes they wore, how they thought and talked, and whether you picture them as real characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the use of irony in MOLL FLANDERS. Use the example of Moll and James each thinking the other was rich before they married and finding out that Moll really was a woman of fortune years later when they came to America. Express your opinion about how such ironic twists in a plot tend to make a story more interesting. Comment on whether you think irony happens in real life and give at least one example.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on literary language of the 18th century. Use examples in the novel to demonstrate the formality of written language and vocabulary that is not used in the same way today. State you opinion about the degree of difficulty in understanding the story that language presents in MOLL FLANDERS.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)