|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Moll go to the aid of the young woman next door to her?
(a) her beau had left her when she gave him no money.
(b) her beau had left her bacause he had many others.
(c) her beau had left her after she became pregnant.
(d) her beau left her because she checked up on his character.
2. What does Mrs. Betty (aka Moll) know that makes her vain?
(a) she wears clothes well.
(b) she is a great beauty.
(c) she had longer hair than most girls.
(d) she has superior intelligence.
3. What causes Moll not to go to the older brother's wedding?
(a) she has to look after her ten children.
(b) she is eight months pregnant.
(c) seeing another woman marry the man she loves.
(d) she is not invited to the wedding.
4. What does the narrator say results from any wicked action in the book?
(a) an unhappy end.
(b) an argument for clean living.
(c) a lesson for the readers.
(d) a means to get away.
5. What has Moll heard about the gentleman she is considering marriage to?
(a) that he buys and sells slaves.
(b) that he is wanted by the police.
(c) that he has a plantation in Virginia.
(d) that he owns a mill in Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moll get away from the gypsies?
2. What is the assumption left up to the reader in the Preface?
3. Other people call Moll a handsome woman. What does she say about that?
4. What does Moll receive at the second home where she is kept?
5. Who is assumed to be the narrator of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child what does Moll want that amuses the Mayor's wife and her Nurse?
2. Why does Moll put off the younger brother's proposal of marriage?
3. What happens to Moll after her husband dies?
4. What is the complication that arises in the new family where Moll lives?
5. What is Defoe's stated purpose in presenting this book?
6. How does the novel begin?
7. Under what condition does Moll arrive back in England.
8. What is the final payoff and the conditions to Moll to release the gentleman to whom she had been mistress?
9. Who takes Moll in after the death of the Nurse?
10. What is Moll's life like at first in Virginia?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)