|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to her draper husband?
(a) he is sent in servictude to Australia.
(b) he escapes and goes to America.
(c) he is hanged in Newgate Prison.
(d) he escapes jail and goes to France.
2. What does the narrator admit about the text?
(a) that it is just as written in a diary.
(b) that it is difficult to follow.
(c) that it is totally fiction.
(d) that it has been put into new words.
3. What causes Moll not to go to the older brother's wedding?
(a) seeing another woman marry the man she loves.
(b) she is eight months pregnant.
(c) she is not invited to the wedding.
(d) she has to look after her ten children.
4. What happens when Betty Flanders goes to live with another widow?
(a) the widwo dies and leaves her house to Mrs. Flanders.
(b) the widow turns her in to the police.
(c) the widow finds a rich man and marries.
(d) she meets all kinds of rich, available men.
5. What does the narrator say about the final scene in the story?
(a) it is Moll's best writing.
(b) it makes the reader shed tears.
(c) it is not written by Moll herself.
(d) it is still an unfinished work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moll looking for after the death of her first husband?
2. How does the captain's lady help repay Moll for her services?
3. How old is Moll when she is taken in by a kind woman?
4. What shows the other brother's intentions that Moll does not understand?
5. What does Mill learn about her cargo from Virginia when she reaches London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the preface to Moll Flanders?
2. As the story opens, why does the writer not reveal her real name?
3. How does the novel begin?
4. What is Moll's experience with her second husband?
5. Listening to her mother-in-law, what does Moll suddenly realize?
6. What happens when Moll is only 14-years-old?
7. What does the editor claim about Moll's new life in the American colonies?
8. Why does Moll put off the younger brother's proposal of marriage?
9. As a child what does Moll want that amuses the Mayor's wife and her Nurse?
10. To Moll's chagrin, what does the older brother insist that she do?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)