|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Moll's being penitent?
(a) she pretends to be.
(b) she is heartily sorry for her sins.
(c) she does not know the meaning of the word.
(d) she never thinks she has done wrong.
2. How does Moll propose to make her own living?
(a) by selling violets.
(b) by sewing and spinning.
(c) by begging on the streets.
(d) by dancing and singing.
3. What shows the other brother's intentions that Moll does not understand?
(a) he kisses her and runs away.
(b) he gives her money.
(c) he proposes marriage.
(d) he takes her out of the house.
4. What can Moll not consider doing?
(a) marry a man she does not love.
(b) marry for money.
(c) running away from both brothers.
(d) marry one brother and be the mistress of the other.
5. What is Moll's first recollection?
(a) learning how to sew.
(b) being among the gypsies.
(c) being hungry on the street.
(d) leaving Newgate prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Mayoress come to the school?
2. How does the captain's lady help repay Moll for her services?
3. Who does the young lady get to start the rumor that Moll is rich?
4. How does the landlady help out when Moll becomes pregnant?
5. How is the weather during Moll's trip back to England from Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does the older brother give for not marrying Moll right away?
2. What does Moll know about her mother?
3. What does Moll learn about the Men who visit Bath during the summer season?
4. What is Defoe's stated purpose in presenting this book?
5. How does the novel begin?
6. To Moll's chagrin, what does the older brother insist that she do?
7. How does the editor compare the novel to dramatic plays of the day?
8. What are the stories her mother-in-law tells that eventually reveal she was herself transported from Newgate prison to America?
9. What happens when Moll is only 14-years-old?
10. Under what condition does Moll arrive back in England.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)