|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare his novel?
(a) to religious pamphlets.
(b) to narrative poems.
(c) to plays written for the stage.
(d) to school lessons.
2. What does the narrator say about the final scene in the story?
(a) it makes the reader shed tears.
(b) it is still an unfinished work.
(c) it is Moll's best writing.
(d) it is not written by Moll herself.
3. What happens to her draper husband?
(a) he escapes and goes to America.
(b) he is sent in servictude to Australia.
(c) he escapes jail and goes to France.
(d) he is hanged in Newgate Prison.
4. What does the narrator insist is the value of the story?
(a) that it opens up a new kind of literature.
(b) that it will teach child rearing to new parents.
(c) that it will put the reader to sleep.
(d) that something just or religious may be learned.
5. Where is Moll born?
(a) in a barn.
(b) in a hospital.
(c) in her grandmother's house.
(d) in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moll say that women of her time had lost?
2. What does Moll say marriages are the consequences of in the country?
3. Who presses Betty to marry the younger brother?
4. What does the younger brother protest about with his sister?
5. Where does Moll take up residence after returning from Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moll protest the older brother's suggestion?
2. After some repentance for their sleeping together, what do Moll and the gentleman do?
3. What does Moll know about her mother?
4. What does Moll learn about the Men who visit Bath during the summer season?
5. How does the editor compare the novel to dramatic plays of the day?
6. What happens to Moll after her husband dies?
7. What does the editor claim about Moll's new life in the American colonies?
8. To Moll's chagrin, what does the older brother insist that she do?
9. Who takes Moll in after the death of the Nurse?
10. How does the gentleman react when he learns of Moll's pregnancy?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)