|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Moll get to visit in Newgate?
(a) her old partner in crime.
(b) her son Jemmy.
(c) her Lancashire husband.
(d) an accused assassin.
2. How does Mill say she came out of the charge of robbing the silversmith?
(a) with flying colors.
(b) with her will to stop thieving.
(c) with fear and trepidation.
(d) with shame and disgrace.
3. How does the governess get money from the baronet?
(a) by picking his pocket.
(b) by extortion.
(c) by begging.
(d) by returning his possessions.
4. Who does Moll meet to help her with her money?
(a) a doctor.
(b) a solicitor.
(c) a banker.
(d) a merchant.
5. What happens to save Moll?
(a) she agrees to go to France and never return to England.
(b) she manages a great escape from Newgate.
(c) she buys her way out of prison.
(d) she is sentenced to being transported instead of death.
6. How is Moll swept off her feet by an Irishman?
(a) by his gifts of jewels.
(b) by his rakish good looks.
(c) by his smooth tongue.
(d) by his appearance of great wealth.
7. What does Moll do to the shopkeeper after she is exonerated by the capture of the real shoplifter?
(a) She demands money as restitution.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She makes him get on his knees to apologize.
(d) She takes him to court.
8. What does Moll admit to the lady who comes to help her?
(a) that she is not married.
(b) that she has a lot of money.
(c) that she has a husband.
(d) that she does not want the child.
9. What effect does the movement of the prisoners to the gallows have on Moll?
(a) she laughs at the misfortune she has avoided.
(b) she has a fit of crying.
(c) she has a moment of great relief.
(d) she feels superior once again.
10. What does Moll confess to the banker?
(a) that she had no romantic ideas about him.
(b) that she had thought he was single.
(c) that she fell in love with him at the bank.
(d) that she trusted him but that was all.
11. Why do people suggest that Moll move out of St. John's Street?
(a) someone recognises her.
(b) she needs to go to a hsopital.
(c) she is obviously pregnant with no husband.
(d) people think she is a whore.
12. What does Mrs. B give to the parish officials?
(a) information on the missing husbands.
(b) security that the women who come to her are married.
(c) weekly donations of food.
(d) money to keep them quiet.
13. What effect does Moll's brushes with the law have on her activities?
(a) she starts working with a partner.
(b) she becomes truly repentant and stops.
(c) she takes a year off so that her face will be forgotten.
(d) she becomes overconfident and continues her business.
14. What does the banker say about himself and his wife?
(a) he is alone and she is in an asylum.
(b) he is unhappy and she is living a high life.
(c) he is a cuckold and she is a whore.
(d) he is young and she is old.
15. What does Mrs. B do with unwanted children?
(a) throws them into the river.
(b) sells them to gypsies.
(c) pays to have them taken away.
(d) smothers them at birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Moll married to the Irishman?
2. Why does Moll not relate all the adventures of her Lancashire husband?
3. What does Moll say about her delivery?
4. What does Moll fear about her current landlady who brings Mrs. B?
5. Why does the landlady not offer the same help that Mrs. B offers?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)