|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Moll's first theft?
(a) money left lying on a counter.
(b) the wallet of an old man asleep on a park bench.
(c) a watch on the belt of an old lady.
(d) an unwatched parcel in an apothecary shop.
2. Why does the landlady not offer the same help that Mrs. B offers?
(a) she lacks education.
(b) she is not a midwife.
(c) she does not have enough room.
(d) she cannot secure the parish.
3. Who does the landlady send for to assist Moll?
(a) a midwife.
(b) a doctor.
(c) a banker.
(d) a lawyer.
4. What effect does Moll's brushes with the law have on her activities?
(a) she starts working with a partner.
(b) she becomes truly repentant and stops.
(c) she becomes overconfident and continues her business.
(d) she takes a year off so that her face will be forgotten.
5. How much does Mrs. B say Moll's lying in will cost?
6. What does Moll fear about her current landlady who brings Mrs. B?
(a) that she will cause trouble for her.
(b) that she will steal her baby.
(c) that she will demand a great deal of money.
(d) that she will toss her out.
7. How is Moll swept off her feet by an Irishman?
(a) by his smooth tongue.
(b) by his rakish good looks.
(c) by his gifts of jewels.
(d) by his appearance of great wealth.
8. Why does Moll cease to fear witnesses against her?
(a) no one knows her face.
(b) she works in several disguises.
(c) she knows too much about them.
(d) they are all hanged or transported.
9. What effect does the movement of the prisoners to the gallows have on Moll?
(a) she has a fit of crying.
(b) she laughs at the misfortune she has avoided.
(c) she has a moment of great relief.
(d) she feels superior once again.
10. What causes Moll to become audacious in her thievery?
(a) the need to be the best at what she does.
(b) desperation over lack of money.
(c) gaining a reputation among criminals.
(d) doing it a long time without being caught.
11. Why does Moll not relate all the adventures of her Lancashire husband?
(a) she means to write another book.
(b) it is her story, not his.
(c) she cannot know them all.
(d) she does not believe them all.
12. What is in the letter Moll receives after the baby is born?
(a) a bill for her banker's services.
(b) a newspaper clipping about her husband.
(c) a request for a visit by her banker friend.
(d) a note from her husband.
13. What does Moll say allowed the devil to push her into crime?
(a) the plight of poverty.
(b) the thrill of the hunt.
(c) the challenge to the police.
(d) the influence of her missing husband.
14. Who does Moll say put evil ideas into her head?
(a) the devil.
(b) her governess.
(c) the police.
(d) her highwayman husband.
15. What happens to the sliver brought to the pawnbroker?
(a) it is melted down.
(b) it is sold to collectors.
(c) it is smuggled to France.
(d) it is sold back to the people it was stolen from.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her Bath lover deserts her, what does Moll have?
2. What do Moll and her Lancashire husband discover about each other?
3. When Moll is well enough to go to Mrs. B's house, how is she surprised?
4. What hardens Moll's heart to become a professional thief?
5. How does Moll take advantage of the fop who took her to bed one evening?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)