|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the banker say his wife is a whore?
(a) as mentally uncapable of resisting.
(b) not by necessity but by inclination.
(c) as a madwoman obsessed with sex.
(d) as a victim of incest.
2. What is the governess turned pawnbroker actually doing?
(a) teaching women how to shoplift.
(b) fencing stolen goods.
(c) robbing from the rich to give to the poor.
(d) heading up a theft ring.
3. What does Mrs. B say she does for the newborns?
(a) kills them humanely.
(b) pays for their education.
(c) saves their lives.
(d) finds them good homes.
4. After moving back with the governess, what work does Mill do?
(a) teaching school.
(b) baby sitting.
(c) house cleaning.
(d) needle work.
5. What reception does Moll get from the inmates at Newgate?
(a) they gloated over her capture.
(b) they all wanted to meet her.
(c) they sympathized with her.
(d) they ignored her.
6. How does Moll take advantage of the fop who took her to bed one evening?
(a) she accuses him of raping her.
(b) she blackmails him.
(c) she charges him a large sum to keep quiet.
(d) she gets him to fall asleep and takes everything he has.
7. What does Moll do to the shopkeeper after she is exonerated by the capture of the real shoplifter?
(a) She demands money as restitution.
(b) She makes him get on his knees to apologize.
(c) She takes him to court.
(d) She slaps his face.
8. What does Moll steal from a child?
(a) her shoes.
(b) a bag containing a few coins.
(c) a bag she is carrying for her mother.
(d) a small gold necklace.
9. How does Moll steal two rings she sees through a house window?
(a) she enters the house and takes the rings.
(b) she sends a child inside to get the rings.
(c) she raises the window and takes the rings.
(d) she breaks the glass and takes the rings.
10. What does Mrs. B do with unwanted children?
(a) sells them to gypsies.
(b) smothers them at birth.
(c) pays to have them taken away.
(d) throws them into the river.
11. Why does Moll reproach herself after getting caught with the brocade silk?
(a) she could not make up a good story.
(b) she did not heed the warnings from before.
(c) she did not scope out the scene well.
(d) she stayed too long in the house.
12. What does Moll say a woman is like when she is left desolate?
(a) like a child without parents.
(b) like a bag of money dopped on the street.
(c) like a ship sinking in the ocean.
(d) like a fish out of water.
13. Who does the governess introduce Moll to who can help her learn the art of thieving?
(a) a professional pickpocket.
(b) a magician.
(c) a schoolmistress.
(d) a house robber.
14. What happens at the Barnet Stage?
(a) Moll steals a bundle from a girl with a baby.
(b) Moll goes to Glasgow.
(c) Moll takes a woman's watch from her belt.
(d) Moll fakes an accident and demands compensation.
15. What does Moll manage to get from an ale house?
(a) a silver tankard.
(b) a set of silver spoons.
(c) a lady's purse.
(d) a man's wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moll say she continues to steal?
2. Who does the landlady send for to assist Moll?
3. When a woman friend of Moll's wants her to meet her brother, what does the man want?
4. What causes Moll to become audacious in her thievery?
5. Why does the landlady not offer the same help that Mrs. B offers?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)