|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people suggest that Moll move out of St. John's Street?
(a) someone recognises her.
(b) she needs to go to a hsopital.
(c) she is obviously pregnant with no husband.
(d) people think she is a whore.
2. Who does the governess introduce Moll to who can help her learn the art of thieving?
(a) a magician.
(b) a schoolmistress.
(c) a house robber.
(d) a professional pickpocket.
3. Why does Moll cease to fear witnesses against her?
(a) she works in several disguises.
(b) they are all hanged or transported.
(c) no one knows her face.
(d) she knows too much about them.
4. What does Mrs. B say she does for the newborns?
(a) saves their lives.
(b) finds them good homes.
(c) pays for their education.
(d) kills them humanely.
5. What is wrong with Moll's prayers?
(a) she has never prayed before.
(b) she has forgotten how to pray.
(c) she thinks God cannot hear her.
(d) she never sees herself as a sinner.
6. What happens to the sliver brought to the pawnbroker?
(a) it is melted down.
(b) it is smuggled to France.
(c) it is sold back to the people it was stolen from.
(d) it is sold to collectors.
7. What does Moll say the passing jade thinks of?
(a) a chance to marry.
(b) a love of their own.
(c) having many babies.
(d) not the man but the money.
8. Who does Moll meet to help her with her money?
(a) a banker.
(b) a doctor.
(c) a solicitor.
(d) a merchant.
9. When Moll is well enough to go to Mrs. B's house, how is she surprised?
(a) by its value.
(b) by its small rooms.
(c) by its seculsion.
(d) by its comfort and cleanliness.
10. What is Moll's initial reaction to her new life of crime?
(a) fear of getting hooked on crime.
(b) fear of her governess.
(c) fear of God.
(d) fear of Newgate.
11. What does Moll say is worse than being in want?
(a) being old.
(b) being friendless.
(c) being in prison.
(d) being helpless.
12. What hardens Moll's heart to become a professional thief?
(a) hoping to find her highwayman husband.
(b) the joy of having a profession.
(c) fear of going hungry.
(d) the thrill of not getting caught.
13. What does Moll fear about her current landlady who brings Mrs. B?
(a) that she will cause trouble for her.
(b) that she will toss her out.
(c) that she will demand a great deal of money.
(d) that she will steal her baby.
14. What happens at the Barnet Stage?
(a) Moll goes to Glasgow.
(b) Moll steals a bundle from a girl with a baby.
(c) Moll fakes an accident and demands compensation.
(d) Moll takes a woman's watch from her belt.
15. How does the governess say the baronet explained his condition to his wife?
(a) he was in a fire.
(b) he fell into the Thames.
(c) he lost everything at gambling.
(d) he got drunk and was robbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. B not abort Moll's pregnancy?
2. What does she say he is probably most worried about now?
3. Why does the landlady not offer the same help that Mrs. B offers?
4. What does Moll steal from a child?
5. Why does Moll not relate all the adventures of her Lancashire husband?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)