|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the weather during Moll's trip back to England from Virginia?
(a) there are several storms.
(b) the ship is driven aground on an island.
(c) it rains for the entire trip.
(d) it is peaceful.
2. What does Moll suspect about her landlady and the gentleman?
(a) that the landlady and he are having an affair.
(b) that the landlady is being bribed by the gentleman.
(c) that the landlady is encouraging him to notice Moll.
(d) that the landlady does not know what is going on.
3. Where does Moll take up residence after returning from Virginia?
(b) the Mint.
4. How does the landlady help out when Moll becomes pregnant?
(a) bribing the parish officials.
(b) arranging a family to adopt the child.
(c) vouches that Moll is married to a worthy gentleman.
(d) arranging an abortion.
5. Other people call Moll a handsome woman. What does she say about that?
(a) she hopes it is true.
(b) she denies it.
(c) she thinks people are blind.
(d) she thinks so too.
6. What does the gentleman at Bath give Moll?
(a) a diamond ring.
(b) a letter of credit.
(c) a small drawer full of gold coins.
(d) a cheque for £1,000.
7. Where does Moll say her true name is known?
(a) in her small circle of friends.
(b) in Virginia.
(c) in Newgate and the Old Bailey.
(d) in the Mint.
8. What does her tradesman turn out to be?
(a) a bigamist.
(b) a hardened criminal .
(c) rake, shopkeeper and beggar all in one.
(d) a con man who only wanted Moll's money.
9. What happens to her draper husband?
(a) he is sent in servictude to Australia.
(b) he is hanged in Newgate Prison.
(c) he escapes jail and goes to France.
(d) he escapes and goes to America.
10. What does the younger brother want to do?
(a) kill his brother.
(b) marry Betty.
(c) sleep in Betty's bed.
(d) set Betty up in an apartment.
11. How does Moll get one last £50 from her brother/husband in Virginia?
(a) telling him it will keep her quiet.
(b) telling him the baby is ill.
(c) agreeing to sign a release.
(d) telling him she will go to Ireland.
12. What does Moll receive at the second home where she is kept?
(a) £100 a month.
(b) hard labor.
(c) fire new garments.
13. What type of instruction does the narrator say is included in the story?
(a) how to escakpe from prison.
(b) how to steal without getting caught.
(c) how to tell when someone is lying.
(d) how to avoid thieves and pickpockets.
14. What does the narrator say is the value of hard work as a convict?
(a) learning how not to get caught.
(b) keeping healthy until released.
(c) staying out of more trouble.
(d) coming out of it with a new cast for one's life.
15. What does the narrator insist that the characters must eventually become?
(a) real people.
(c) hardened criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assumption left up to the reader in the Preface?
2. Why does the mistress come to talk with Moll while she sews a shirt?
3. Knowing she cannot be the gentleman's wife, what does Moll do?
4. How does the captain's lady help repay Moll for her services?
5. What does the sister tell her older brother about having money but not great beauty when looking for a husband?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)