|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the workday end?
2. Where do Anne and her child go to after they leave the teacher's neighborhood in Chapter 1?
3. After hearing the noise outside the window during the music lesson in Chapter 1, which character insists that no one investigate and the lesson continue?
4. Who leads Anne home from the cafe in Chapter 4?
5. Which of the following does Anne not see in the cafe in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man tell Anne the dead woman and her husband met?
2. Describe the conversation between the man at the bar and Anne when they first meet.
3. How does Anne describe her bedroom window to the man in Chapter 3?
4. Describe what can be seen outside the teacher's apartment.
5. Describe what Anne, the child, and the teacher see when they look outside the window to investigate the source of the scream.
6. What does Anne tell Chauvin regarding the beech tree near her bedroom window?
7. In the first chapter, what does Anne do just after the music lesson ends and they leave the teacher's apartment?
8. What is the child's reaction when he and Anne arrive at the cafe at the beginning of Chapter 2?
9. Describe how Anne reacts after drinking her first two glasses of wine in Chapter 2.
10. Describe the interaction between the child and the teacher in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role and symbolism of wine in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the child's lack of obedience in the book. What reasons might the child have for misbehaving? What does his lack of obedience say about Anne's parenting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of social class and society in the book. In what ways does society and/or social class impact the relationship between Anne and Chauvin?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)