|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne do when she and the child leave the music lesson in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 3, what does the child play with while Anne is in the cafe?
3. What does the child question Anne about that she refuses to answer?
4. What gesture does the man make towards Anne near the end of their conversation in Chapter 3?
5. Who says, "this is where the scream came from, I remember"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between the man at the bar and Anne when they first meet.
2. How does Anne react toward the teacher when her child misbehaves in the first music lesson?
3. Describe the patronne's reaction when Anne and the man at the bar begin talking again in Chapter 3.
4. What does Anne tell Chauvin regarding the beech tree near her bedroom window?
5. Describe how the man at the bar acts as more people enter the cafe after the workday has ended.
6. How does the man tell Anne the dead woman and her husband met?
7. Describe what can be seen outside the teacher's apartment.
8. How does Anne describe her bedroom window to the man in Chapter 3?
9. How does Anne react when Chauvin mentions her lying in bed in Chapter 4?
10. Describe how Anne reacts after drinking her first two glasses of wine in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of responsibility in the book. Are there any responsible characters present? What makes these characters appear as responsible? How did these characters make others appear more irresponsible?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's purpose for often combining Anne and Chauvin's dialogue. What might she be telling the reader about the nature of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role and symbolism of wine in the book.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)