|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim realize after talking with the man from the wagon train?
2. What rumor spreads about the lone Indian rider?
3. Which of these does Jim tell Tom?
4. What is Daniel doing when Jim finds him?
5. What do Jim and Daniel do when Jim calls Daniel out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim do after his ride?
2. Why is Daniel unhappy with Jim in chapter fifteen?
3. How does Jim change after returning the horse?
4. How does Jim use his tracking skills to help the neighbors in chapter 12?
5. Discuss Jim's Eagle Feather.
6. Why does Jim cut off his braids in the final chapter?
7. Why does Jim have Daniel follow him into cold water?
8. Explain Daniel's relationship with Jim throughout the book, and some of its consequences.
9. Why do you think Sally has a change of heart when Jim returns from the Indian camp in chapter fourteen?
10. What does Jim overhear Jonnie and Mr. Rutledge discussing at the beginning of chapter nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Jim's inner struggles relate to the struggles of young people in modern times? Site three modern examples of youth struggles and compare and contrast them to Jim's struggles in "Moccasin Trail".
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 17, Jim envisions changes that will happen to the region. Discuss the historical context of the changing Western landscape in the 1800's and why it is important to the stories of Jim, Jonnie, Sally and Daniel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jim's character development. How do we learn about his personality, his beliefs and his inner struggles? What changes does Jim go through in the book?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)