|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the white trappers do when Jim is attacked by an animal?
2. Which of the following is NOT an accurate description of Sally's feelings toward Jim at the reunion?
3. What is the first thing Daniel wants to do when the family reaches their new land?
4. Who helps Jim after he is attacked by an animal?
5. What is the reason Jim gives for running away from home when he was a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Daniel's reaction to Jim at their first meeting?
2. What is a flashback? Give an example from the book.
3. What are bourgeways, and what does Jim believe about them?
4. Why do you think the trappers did not return to check on Jim after the grizzly attacked?
5. Why do Jim and Daniel have to drive the animals through a pass?
6. Why do you think Jim named his mule Bad Medicine?
7. How do Jim's plans change in chapter two?
8. How does Daniel use Moki to help with his work?
9. What does Jim believe about Jonnie's banjo playing?
10. Why does Jim leave the Indian tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two of the following events and how they impacted characters' decisions and actions. Tell whether these events are important to the story, and how the story might have been different without them, and what, if any, changes they cause to characters. (The grizzly attack, Indians stealing the settlers' cattle, Tom's visit, Daniel's running away.)
Essay Topic 2
Jim steals two horses in "Moccasin Trails". Compare and contrast Jim's and Jonnie's opinions about these acts of stealing. What cultural attitudes might be affecting their opinions? What is your opinion about the horse stealing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jonnie's character development. Why is he disappointed by Jim's Indian appearance, yet defensive when Sally berates Jim for his Indian braids? Does he do a good job leading and protecting his family? Cite examples of his leadership, or lack thereof. How does he change throughout the book and why?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)