|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sally tell Jim when he returns to the cabin?
(a) She tells him her opinion about his stealing the horse.
(b) She tells him she wishes he would move into the cabin with the family.
(c) She admits she has been nagging him about things that don't really matter.
(d) She berates him for endangering himself and others.
2. Whose approval is Jim looking for the most when he signs his name?
(b) Tom River's.
(c) Mr. Rutledge's.
(d) The land surveyor's.
3. What happens when Jonnie rides Jim's horse?
(a) He is too rough with the horse.
(b) The horse throws him off.
(c) He handles the horse well.
(d) He looses control and the horse goes too fast.
4. What does Jonnie believe about Jim?
(a) He will kidnap Daniel.
(b) He will probably never fit in with the family.
(c) He will eventually fit in with the family.
(d) He will eventually want to build his own farm.
5. What does Jim think when he sees wagons about to head down a steep hill?
(a) They will only make it if Jim helps them.
(b) There is a chance they will make it, but they will probably crash at the bottom.
(c) They will make it if they move very slowly.
(d) It is an impossible task.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim practice signing his name?
2. Which one of these is a disturbing memory that Jim has about the Indians?
3. What does Jim realize after talking with the man from the wagon train?
4. Who throws pebbles at Jim?
5. What offer does Meek make?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim's verbal defense of his Indian family conflict with his inner thoughts?
2. How do Jim and Joe Meek rescue Daniel?
3. Why do you think Jim left with Tom in chapter 16?
4. How does Jonnie's attitude change when he sees Jim's scars?
5. What does Jim overhear Jonnie and Mr. Rutledge discussing at the beginning of chapter nine?
6. Explain Daniel's relationship with Jim throughout the book, and some of its consequences.
7. How do the cabin walls make Jim feel?
8. How does Jim change after returning the horse?
9. Why is Daniel unhappy with Jim in chapter fifteen?
10. What does Jim do after his ride?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)