|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the settlers get the wagons down the hill?
(a) They unload and dismantle the wagons and lower them down with ropes.
(b) They use horses to pull against the wagons to slow the descent.
(c) They find another way to go besides the steep hill.
(d) They tie large trees to the back of the wagons to slow the descent.
2. What does Jim realize after killing the Indian and returning the horse?
(a) He cares about what others think of him.
(b) He does not feel like an Indian or a white man.
(c) He has betrayed his Indian family.
(d) He has accomplished a brave victory for his family by killing an Indian.
3. What are the Indians doing when they "call out" the children?
(a) Teaching children to trail animals in hunting.
(b) Teaching the children to lead others in the tribe.
(c) Playing a game in which children and elders throw objects at each other.
(d) Playing a game in which children are challenged to follow an older person.
4. Why does Jim believe the thieves are Indian, not white?
(a) He finds an arrow in a fencepost.
(b) He finds the boots and clothes they left behind in the woods.
(c) They didn't put weight down on their boots like white men would.
(d) They left bare footprints as well as bootprints.
5. What does Mr. Rutledge believe about Jim?
(a) He will probably never fit in with the family.
(b) He is lazy.
(c) He will eventually fit in with the family.
(d) He will eventually go back to the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to suggest that Jim can track the cattle thieves?
2. What does Daniel ask Jim to teach him?
3. What does Jim think when he sees wagons about to head down a steep hill?
4. How does Daniel feel about Tom?
5. Who throws pebbles at Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Daniel unhappy with Jim in chapter fifteen?
2. How does Jonnie's attitude change when he sees Jim's scars?
3. What does Jonnie do when Jim starts shirking his chores in chapter 10?
4. What does Sally do with the childhood picture of Jim and Jonnie?
5. What happens when Jim tries to return the horse?
6. Why does Jim have Daniel follow him into cold water?
7. Discuss Jim's Eagle Feather.
8. What argument do Sally and Jim have after the family moves into the cabin?
9. Why do you think Jim left with Tom in chapter 16?
10. How does Jim use his tracking skills to help the neighbors in chapter 12?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)