|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim feel when the cabin is finished?
2. How does Jonnie's attitude change after seeing Jim's scars?
(a) He begins to feel sorry for Jim.
(b) He begins to understand Jim's empathy toward the Indians.
(c) He beleives it might be best if Jim goes back to the Indians.
(d) He begins to have more respect for Jim's beleifs about land.
3. Which one of these is a disturbing memory that Jim has about the Indians?
(a) His Indian mother beating him.
(b) The Indians stealing from each other.
(c) A woman who kills her child.
(d) A man who with a necklace of scalps.
4. What offer does Meek make?
(a) He offers Jonnie a deputy job.
(b) He offers Jim a deputy job.
(c) He offers to become a trapper with Jim in the mountains.
(d) He offers to pardon Jim for stealing the horse.
5. What do Jim and Daniel do when Jim calls Daniel out?
(a) Throw sticks and pebbles at each other.
(b) Hunt in the woods.
(c) Swim in the river.
(d) Discuss leadership.
6. What are the Indians doing when they "call out" the children?
(a) Playing a game in which children and elders throw objects at each other.
(b) Playing a game in which children are challenged to follow an older person.
(c) Teaching the children to lead others in the tribe.
(d) Teaching children to trail animals in hunting.
7. What does Daniel ask Jim to teach him?
(a) How to shoot a bow and arrow.
(b) How to set a trap.
(c) How to kill a grizzly bear.
(d) How to throw a knife.
8. Why does Daniel become unhappy with Jim?
(a) He doesn't like the fact that Jim stole a horse.
(b) Jim is spending a lot more time in the fields with Jonnie.
(c) Jim has moved into the cabin.
(d) He doesn't like the fact that Jim killed an Indian.
9. What is Daniel doing when Jim finds him?
(a) Trying to run away from the Indians.
(d) Tanning hides.
10. What happens when Jonnie rides Jim's horse?
(a) He looses control and the horse goes too fast.
(b) He is too rough with the horse.
(c) He handles the horse well.
(d) The horse throws him off.
11. What is Jonnie's concern about the trail?
(a) He is afraid Meek won't be able to follow it in the dark.
(b) He is afraid the trail will be too steep.
(c) He is afraid the wind and rain have erased the trail.
(d) He doesn't think Jim left a strong enough trail to follow.
12. Why does Joe Meek come to visit Jim?
(a) He wants to visit with Jim about trapping.
(b) He has heard there is trouble at one of the Indian camps.
(c) The other men told Joe that Jim had stolen a horse.
(d) He enjoys Sally's cooking.
13. What rumor spreads about the lone rider's horse?
(a) He is made of fire.
(b) His mane consists of white flames.
(c) He has wings.
(d) He is invisible.
14. Where did Daniel learning writing and arithmetic?
(a) At home, from his sister.
(b) At home, from his father.
(c) At home, from his mother.
(d) At a one-room school house.
15. What does Jim tell the man from the wagon train about Willamette Valley?
(a) It will be everything he's expecting.
(b) There are already too many white settlers there.
(c) It will be very dangerous because of the wild animals.
(d) It will be very dangerous because of the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sally do with Jim's braids and feather?
2. How does Daniel feel about Tom?
3. Why does Jim believe the thieves are Indian, not white?
4. How does Jonnie help Jim deal with his emotions?
5. Which of the following conflicts is NOT resolved by the end of the book?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)