|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim steal from one of the Indians when he leaves the tribe?
(a) A dog.
(b) A horse.
(c) A bear claw necklace.
(d) A blond scalp.
2. How does Jonnie feel about Jim's past act of thievery?
(a) He believes Jim had the right to steal, given the situation.
(b) He admires the bravery Jim displayed when stealing.
(c) He believes it was wrong for Jim to steal.
(d) He doesn't care one way or the other.
3. When Jim reunites with his family, he realizes he has seen Daniel before. Where has he seen him?
(a) At the trading post.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In the forest.
(d) At a church.
4. What is the reason Jim gives for running away from home when he was a boy?
(a) He hated his family.
(b) He wanted to become a trapper just like his uncle.
(c) He had committed a horrible crime and was afraid he would go to jail.
(d) His uncle told him that running away was a good idea.
5. Why did Jonnie and his family decide to travel west?
(a) Jonnie's father died, and they lost their farm.
(b) They are running from the law.
(c) Jonnie's father heard there was free land in the West.
(d) They wanted to mine for gold.
6. Why doesn't the group hire Indians to take care of the animals?
(a) They are afraid the Indians will steal all the animals.
(b) There are no Indians available for the job.
(c) They know they will not get all the animals back if they hire Indians.
(d) The whites are at war with the Indians.
7. Who does Jonnie think Jim looks like?
(d) The Indian chief.
8. How does Jim feel about Sally calling him "James"?
(b) He doesn't care.
(c) Like she looks down on him.
9. Where does Jim go first to find someone to read his letter?
(a) A farm.
(b) A church.
(c) The train station.
(d) The trading post.
10. What does the group have to do to the wagons before crossing the river?
(a) Disassemble them.
(b) Brace the wheels.
(c) Roll them onto the ferry.
(d) Make repairs on them.
11. What does Jim do with Jonnie's boots?
(a) Gives them to Daniel.
(b) Repairs the holes in them.
(c) Throws them in the river.
(d) Throws them in the fire.
12. What will Jim and Daniel do with the animals?
(a) They will take them across the river and watch over them while the others cross.
(b) They will drive them along the river till they find a bridge.
(c) They will take them around through a pass.
(d) They will sale them to the Indians.
13. What does Jonnie think Jim will do after the family has settled?
(a) Stay with the family to help with the farm.
(b) Camp nearby so he can visit the family often.
(c) Get a job in the nearest town.
(d) Leave the family and go back to the wilderness.
14. Who takes Jim to his family?
(a) Mr. Rutledge.
(b) Tom Rivers.
(c) Sam Mullins.
(d) Joe Meek.
15. Jonnie keeps telling Daniel to be careful. How does Jim react to this?
(a) Jim thinks Jonnie is a very caring older brother.
(b) Jim decides Jonnie would be better suited to watch over Daniel.
(c) Jim thinks Jonnie doesn't trust him to keep Daniel safe.
(d) Jim becomes afraid for Daniel's safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the white trappers do when Jim is attacked by an animal?
2. What is the title of the book we are currently studying?
3. What does Jim tell Sally about their uncle?
4. What is Jim referring to when he uses the word "bourgeways"?
5. Jim struggles with divided loyalties between______________.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)