|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Daniel worried about after Jonnie and Sally leave?
(a) That he didn't get to say goodbye to Sally.
(b) That the Indians might attack his family.
(c) That Jim might not keep him safe.
(d) That he lost his knife in the river.
2. What do Jim and Daniel talk about?
(a) Jim's uncle.
(b) Daniel's friends back home.
(c) Daniel's schoolwork.
(d) Jim's life in the wilderness.
3. Where does Jim plan to go to have a letter read?
(a) Powder River.
(d) The Dalles.
4. What does Jim's dog look like?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A fox.
(d) A bear.
5. Why doesn't the group hire Indians to take care of the animals?
(a) There are no Indians available for the job.
(b) The whites are at war with the Indians.
(c) They are afraid the Indians will steal all the animals.
(d) They know they will not get all the animals back if they hire Indians.
6. Who finally reads Jim's letter to him?
(a) Jonnie Keath.
(b) Mr. Rutledge.
(c) The man who tries to shoot Jim's dog.
(d) Adam Russell.
7. Who is the author of the book we are currently studying?
(a) Eloise Jarvis McGraw.
(b) T. J. Remington.
(c) Joyce Louise Compton.
(d) James Ronald Harrington
8. What does the group have to do to the wagons before crossing the river?
(a) Brace the wheels.
(b) Make repairs on them.
(c) Disassemble them.
(d) Roll them onto the ferry.
9. How does Jim stop a man from shooting his dog?
(a) He politely asks the man not to shoot his dog.
(b) He shoves the man's hand, causing him to miss.
(c) He knocks the man down, causing him to miss.
(d) He kills the man who is trying to shoot his dog.
10. Where is Jim camping as the story opens?
(a) In the mountains above Columbia River.
(b) At the base of a mountain, by Columbia River.
(c) At the base of a mountain, by Powder River.
(d) In the mountains above Powder River.
11. How does Jim treat Jonnie's injured feet?
(a) With alcohal.
(b) With herbs.
(c) With ointments.
(d) With warm water.
12. What is the most likely reason that Jonnie is defensive of Jim?
(a) Jonnie believes Jim has the right to act however he chooses.
(b) Jim reminds Jonnie of his father.
(c) Jim and Jonnie were close when they were younger.
(d) Jonnie believes Jim is well-suited to take over as head of the family.
13. In what way does Jim's dog help Daniel?
(a) He pulls a sled to move wood.
(b) He protects Daniel while he works.
(c) He hunts for food with Daniel.
(d) He helps Daniel herd the cattle.
14. What does Jim do to his dog after he bites him?
(a) Throws him in the river.
(b) Bites his ear.
(c) Pins him to the ground.
(d) Kicks him.
15. What kind of physical shape are Jim's siblings in when he first meets them?
(a) They look like they haven't been eating enough.
(b) They are so sick they will die if they don't get medical attention.
(c) They look robust and healthy.
(d) They look like they are gaining to much weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shelter would Jim like the family to build?
2. Why does Jim decide to leave his Indian family?
3. How does Jim make sure Daniel is getting enough food?
4. How does Jim feel about Sally calling him "James"?
5. Why is Jim's mule acting strangely one afternoon?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)