|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Jim and Tom's camp?
(a) Jim's brother.
(b) Mr. Rutledge.
(c) Jim's uncle.
(d) Two Indians.
2. What does Jim do with Jonnie's boots?
(a) Repairs the holes in them.
(b) Gives them to Daniel.
(c) Throws them in the river.
(d) Throws them in the fire.
3. What is the most likely reason that Jonnie is defensive of Jim?
(a) Jim and Jonnie were close when they were younger.
(b) Jim reminds Jonnie of his father.
(c) Jonnie believes Jim is well-suited to take over as head of the family.
(d) Jonnie believes Jim has the right to act however he chooses.
4. What does the group have to do to the wagons before crossing the river?
(a) Make repairs on them.
(b) Roll them onto the ferry.
(c) Disassemble them.
(d) Brace the wheels.
5. How does Jim feel about Sally calling him "James"?
(a) Like she looks down on him.
(c) He doesn't care.
6. Jim only has one beaver in his traps. What is most likely the reason for this?
(a) The Indians have trapped out most of the beaver from the area.
(b) Most of the beavers have died from sickness.
(c) Jim doesn't know how to set the traps properly.
(d) Big companies have trapped out most of the beaver from the area.
7. When Jim says the word "medicine," what is he referring to?
(a) Healing ointment.
(b) Personal power.
(d) The Indian religion.
8. What fact does Tom learn about Jim that surprises him?
(a) Jim has a brother.
(b) Jim is a trapper.
(c) Jim owns a dog.
(d) Jim has lived with Indians.
9. What is Jim referring to when he uses the word "bourgeways"?
10. What will Jim and Daniel do with the animals?
(a) They will take them across the river and watch over them while the others cross.
(b) They will drive them along the river till they find a bridge.
(c) They will take them around through a pass.
(d) They will sale them to the Indians.
11. Why does Jim take the letter from the man whom he paid to read it?
(a) The man is reading the private letter out loud, and others can hear.
(b) Jim cannot understand the man's foreign accent.
(c) The man tries to tear the letter up instead of reading it.
(d) The man is unable to read the letter.
12. Why is Jim's mule acting strangely one afternoon?
(a) He senses that someone is coming.
(b) He doesn't like doing the farmwork.
(c) He has a rock in his hoof.
(d) He is sick.
13. Why does the group go ahead and cross the river even though the weather is bad?
(a) Jonnie is in such a big hurry to get to his land that he doesn't care about safety.
(b) Jim says the weather won't get better until spring.
(c) It will actually be easier to get across in bad weather.
(d) They have to get across before the Indians catch up with them.
14. How does Sally feel about Daniel going with Jim?
(a) She is worried.
(b) She is happy for both of them.
(c) She is proud of both of them.
(d) She is jealous.
15. In what way does Jim's dog help Daniel?
(a) He protects Daniel while he works.
(b) He hunts for food with Daniel.
(c) He pulls a sled to move wood.
(d) He helps Daniel herd the cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim plan to go to have a letter read?
2. How does Jonnie feel about Jim's past act of thievery?
3. How did Jim's mother feel about his running away?
4. Where does Jim go first to find someone to read his letter?
5. What do the white trappers do when Jim is attacked by an animal?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)