|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pelag allow Queequeg on the ship?
(a) He is strong and healthy
(b) He is good with a tomahawk
(c) He is good with a harpoon
(d) He is hardworking
2. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
3. What does Queequeg use to eat his breakfast?
(a) His fingers
(b) A knife and fork
(c) His harpoon
(d) His tomahawk
4. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(b) he tried to kiss the bride.
(c) he wore a grass skirt.
(d) he danced on the table.
5. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
(a) the Whale Bone Inn.
(b) the Peter Coffin Inn.
(c) the Spouter Inn.
(d) the Humpback Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the captain from the other ship come aboard the Pequod?
2. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
3. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
4. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the whale's tail.
2. What is blubber?
3. What do the crew think are the terrible cries that they hear?
4. What does Ahab think about when he sees the carpenter in this chapter turning the coffin into a life buoy?
5. Describe a Sperm Whale.
6. What happened to Ahab's leg in this section?
7. What problems does the captured whale cause the crew in this section?
8. Why does Ishmael want to work as a sailor in Chapter 1?
9. In what way does the story of Steelkit mirror the New Testament?
10. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)