|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) There is live bait in the hold.
(b) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(c) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(d) There are stowaways on board.
2. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by winning an arm wrestling match.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(d) by saving a man who fell overboard.
3. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) make out his will.
(b) lead a mutiny.
(c) resign and jump ship.
(d) pray every day more urgently.
4. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(b) map making.
5. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(b) return to shore in a small boat.
(c) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(d) go wake up Captain Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
2. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
3. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
4. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
5. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
2. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
3. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
4. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
5. What potential serious problem does Ahab ignore in order to talk to the captain of another whaling ship?
6. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
7. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
8. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
9. How does Ishmael happen to share a bed with a tattooed headhunter?
10. How does the first day of whaling affect Ishmael?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)