|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by winning an arm wrestling match.
(d) by catching a large fish for dinner.
2. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a folio whale.
(b) an octavo whale.
(c) a duodecimo whale.
(d) a Greenland whale.
3. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the head and tail.
(b) the ivory teeth and bones.
(c) the blubber.
(d) the skin.
4. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the duodecimo whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the albino whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
5. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He has started to have seasickness.
(b) He has not yet seen the captain.
(c) He never sees Queequeg again.
(d) He decides he has made a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
3. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
4. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
5. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
2. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
3. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
4. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
5. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
6. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
7. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
8. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
9. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
10. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)