Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) contacts with ships.
(c) scrapes from coral reefs.
(d) contacts with other whales.
2. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They do not know how to dress.
(b) They look dazed.
(c) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(d) They have on new Macintoshes.
3. What does Charity bring for the crew of the ship?
(a) Paper and pens
(b) A Bible
(c) A guitar
4. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are ghosts and not real men.
(b) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(c) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(d) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
5. What do Queequeg and Ishmael do before they sleep?
(c) Slap each other
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
2. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
3. Why do people not comprehend the dangers of whale hunting?
4. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
5. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
2. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
3. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
4. How does Ahab react to the news that the captain lost his son in Chapter 128?
5. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
6. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
7. Describe Fedallah's dream in this section.
8. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
9. What do Queequeg and Ismael exchange with each other when they become friends?
10. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)