|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) pray every day more urgently.
(b) resign and jump ship.
(c) lead a mutiny.
(d) make out his will.
2. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
3. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they are chased by pirates.
(b) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(c) they meet another whaling ship.
(d) they see a huge pod of whales.
4. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(b) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
(c) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
(d) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
5. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
2. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
3. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
4. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
5. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
2. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
3. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
4. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
5. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
6. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
7. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
8. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
9. How does the first day of whaling affect Ishmael?
10. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)