|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab use to chart the path of a sperm whale?
(a) Nautical charts and logbooks
(b) A soundsystem and a telescope
(c) A compass
(d) Microscopic cameras
2. What kind of whale is the largest of the whales?
(a) A hunchback whale
(b) A blue whale
(c) A sperm whale
(d) A greenland whale
3. What is Ishmael's new hotel called?
(a) The Laurel
(b) The Try Pots
(c) The White Whale
(d) Moby Dick
4. Where is Pip from?
(b) New York
(d) Los Angeles
5. What did Ahab try to kill Moby Dick with?
(a) A spear
(b) A harpoon
(c) A gun
(d) A six inch knife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the whales look like as he watches them from above?
2. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
3. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
4. What is the name of the man with whom Ishmael shares a bed?
5. What is the name of the captain of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe breakfast in Chapter 5.
2. Summarize the novel.
3. How does Stub convince the Rose-bud not to go after the whales?
4. What happened to the Delight crew when it encountered Moby Dick?
5. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
6. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
7. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
8. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
9. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
10. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)