|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
(a) with his sense of humor.
(b) by writing in a diary.
(c) with a great deal of tension.
(d) by not thinking about it.
2. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
3. Although the other four strange men blend in with the crew, what does Ishmael observe about Fedallah?
(a) he stays apart because only Ahab understands his language.
(b) his ability as harpooner is questionable.
(c) he seems to like only Queequeg.
(d) his reasons for being on the voyage remained a mystery.
4. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to convert him to Christianity.
(b) to become his friend.
(c) to keep his pistol loaded.
(d) to ask for another room.
5. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a Greenland whale.
(b) an octavo whale.
(c) a duodecimo whale.
(d) a folio whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
2. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
3. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
4. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
5. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
2. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
3. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
4. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
5. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
6. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
7. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
8. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
9. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
10. How does Ishmael happen to share a bed with a tattooed headhunter?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)