|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
2. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
3. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Elm.
(b) Father Pine.
(c) Father Sycamore.
(d) Father Maple.
4. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(b) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(c) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(d) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
5. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the first mate.
(b) the captain.
(c) the harpooner.
(d) the oarsman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
2. What happens to Radney during a whale chase?
3. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
4. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
5. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
2. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
3. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
4. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
5. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
6. Under what circumstances do Peleg and Bildad leave the Pequod?
7. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
8. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
9. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
10. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)