|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael say this chapter is the most important in the novel?
(a) It examines evolution
(b) It examines man's relationship with whales
(c) It is the longest
(d) It examines whale behavior
2. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(b) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(c) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(d) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
3. Why is Queequeg initially not allowed on the ship?
(a) He is sick
(b) He not American
(c) He is too frail
(d) He is not a Christian
4. What does Ishmael describe between Chapters 67 and 70?
(a) The cutting of the blubber
(b) His family
(c) Whale dishes
(d) The extraction of oil from the whale
5. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a Greenland whale.
(b) a folio whale.
(c) an octavo whale.
(d) a duodecimo whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stubb ask to talk to the sharks?
2. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
3. Why does Pelag allow Queequeg on the ship?
4. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
5. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
2. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
3. Describe the Pequod ship.
4. How does Melville show that Ahab is changing in this chapter?
5. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
6. Describe the whale hunt in Chapter 61.
7. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
8. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
9. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
10. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)