|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(b) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(c) an elongated fish with big eyes.
(d) an elephant of the ocean.
2. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
(a) he descends to hold it secure.
(b) he carries equipment to the other crew members.
(c) he carves the teeth from the whale.
(d) he takes the watch for more whales.
3. What does Ahab question the men about?
(a) their willingness to sail for three years.
(b) their families back home.
(c) their procedure when they spot a whale.
(d) their experience in whaling.
4. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He explains why they are socially low.
(b) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(c) He uses history to honor whalers.
(d) He defends their crude manners.
5. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Devil-dam.
(b) the Tit-bit.
(c) the Pequod.
(d) the Titanic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
2. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
3. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
4. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
5. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What potential serious problem does Ahab ignore in order to talk to the captain of another whaling ship?
2. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
3. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
4. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
5. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
6. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
7. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
8. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
9. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
10. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)