|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(b) in a dream he has about a white whale.
(c) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(d) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
2. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
3. What does Ishmael say is the saddest thing about any man, no matter how bad he is?
(a) a man who thinks he knows everything.
(b) a man who disobeys orders.
(c) a man who kills for sport.
(d) a man who has lost his valor.
4. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the whale looked like an ice berg.
(b) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
(c) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
(d) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
5. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(d) map making.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
2. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
3. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
4. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
5. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
2. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
3. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
4. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
5. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
6. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
7. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
8. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
9. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
10. Under what circumstances do Peleg and Bildad leave the Pequod?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)