|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they ask too many questions.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they become easily bored.
(d) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
2. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) bringing up the rear.
(b) in his cabin.
(c) standing on the deck.
(d) still at home in his bedroom.
3. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Titanic.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Pequod.
(d) the Tit-bit.
4. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
(a) whether captains should be harpooners.
(b) whether the captain should go on the boats.
(c) whether the captain should take the helm.
(d) whether captains know enough about whales.
5. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a Greenland whale.
(b) a duodecimo whale.
(c) a folio whale.
(d) an octavo whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
2. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
3. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
4. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
5. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
2. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
3. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
4. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
5. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
6. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
7. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
8. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
9. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
10. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)