|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a bench in the dining room.
(b) a bunk in a communal room.
(c) a closet.
(d) a shared room with a harpooner.
2. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they receive pardons.
(b) they are flogged.
(c) they walk the plank.
(d) they are hanged.
3. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
(b) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(c) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
(d) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
4. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to convert him to Christianity.
(b) to keep his pistol loaded.
(c) to ask for another room.
(d) to become his friend.
5. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) five men they had not seen before.
(b) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(c) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(d) whales completely surrounding the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
2. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
3. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
4. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
5. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
2. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
3. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
4. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
5. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
6. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
7. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
8. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
9. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
10. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)