|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his work in the galley.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(d) his time in the whaling boats.
2. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
3. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
(a) whether the captain should take the helm.
(b) whether captains should be harpooners.
(c) whether the captain should go on the boats.
(d) whether captains know enough about whales.
4. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) an elephant of the ocean.
(b) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(c) an elongated fish with big eyes.
(d) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
5. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
(b) the whale looked like an ice berg.
(c) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
(d) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
2. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
3. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
4. What happens to Radney during a whale chase?
5. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
2. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
3. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
4. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
5. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
6. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
7. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
8. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
9. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
10. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)