|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a closet.
(b) a bench in the dining room.
(c) a bunk in a communal room.
(d) a shared room with a harpooner.
2. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) ignorance and brashness.
(c) common sense and intelligence.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
3. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) selling a shrunken head.
(b) shaving with his harpoon.
(c) smoking his pipe.
(d) sharpening his hatchet.
4. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
(a) estimating its weight.
(b) cutting off its head and tail.
(c) hauling it back to the ship.
(d) removing its skin.
5. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(b) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(c) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(d) offering to work for less pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
2. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
3. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
4. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
5. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
2. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
3. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
4. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
5. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
6. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
7. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
8. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
9. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
10. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)