|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(b) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(c) they are ghosts and not real men.
(d) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
2. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to convert him to Christianity.
(b) to ask for another room.
(c) to keep his pistol loaded.
(d) to become his friend.
3. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He finds no pleasure in life.
(b) He has lost his appetite.
(c) He cannot sleep at night.
(d) His hair has turned white.
4. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They do not know how to dress.
(b) They look dazed.
(c) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(d) They have on new Macintoshes.
5. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) crawls under the bed.
(b) jumps up on top of the bed.
(c) turns around three times.
(d) sits on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
2. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
3. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
4. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
5. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What potential serious problem does Ahab ignore in order to talk to the captain of another whaling ship?
2. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
3. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
4. How does Ishmael happen to share a bed with a tattooed headhunter?
5. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
6. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
7. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
8. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
9. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
10. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)