|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) an octavo whale.
(b) a folio whale.
(c) a Greenland whale.
(d) a duodecimo whale.
2. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
(a) all eyes look to see lest he fall or hold onto anything to steady himself.
(b) exactly where all the holes are made for his peg leg.
(c) all the crew are fearful of him.
(d) all the crew thinks he has lost his mind.
3. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the sperm whale.
(b) the albino whale.
(c) the octavo whale.
(d) the duodecimo whale.
4. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(b) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(c) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(d) he adds comic relief to the story.
5. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
2. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
3. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
4. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
5. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
2. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
3. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
4. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
5. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
6. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
7. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
8. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
9. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
10. Under what circumstances do Peleg and Bildad leave the Pequod?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)