|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(b) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(c) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(d) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
2. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he watches it all night long.
(b) he speaks to it.
(c) he curses it.
(d) he drives a harpoon through it.
3. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
4. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He cannot sleep at night.
(b) He has lost his appetite.
(c) His hair has turned white.
(d) He finds no pleasure in life.
5. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They do not know how to dress.
(b) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(c) They look dazed.
(d) They have on new Macintoshes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
2. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
3. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
4. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
5. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ishmael happen to share a bed with a tattooed headhunter?
2. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
3. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
4. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
5. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
6. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
7. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
8. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
9. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
10. Under what circumstances do Peleg and Bildad leave the Pequod?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)