|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
(a) the Humpback Inn.
(b) the Whale Bone Inn.
(c) the Peter Coffin Inn.
(d) the Spouter Inn.
2. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(b) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(c) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(d) they are ghosts and not real men.
3. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(a) sing and dance.
(c) play cards.
(d) tell sea tales.
4. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a folio whale.
(b) a Greenland whale.
(c) a duodecimo whale.
(d) an octavo whale.
5. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He has not yet seen the captain.
(b) He has started to have seasickness.
(c) He never sees Queequeg again.
(d) He decides he has made a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
2. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
3. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
4. What equipment left on board by Aunt Charity does Stubb throw overboard?
5. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
2. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
3. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
4. How does the first day of whaling affect Ishmael?
5. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
6. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
7. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
8. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
9. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
10. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)