|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(b) go wake up Captain Ahab.
(c) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(d) return to shore in a small boat.
2. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) bacon and eggs.
(b) fish and chips.
(c) clam and cod chowder.
(d) ham and gravy.
3. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
(b) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
(c) the way they head south in the winter.
(d) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
4. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Pine.
(b) Father Maple.
(c) Father Elm.
(d) Father Sycamore.
5. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) make stays for corsets.
(b) throw them overboard.
(c) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(d) carve animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
2. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
3. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
4. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
2. How does the first day of whaling affect Ishmael?
3. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
4. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
5. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
6. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
7. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
8. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
9. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
10. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)