|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(a) map making.
2. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
(a) take over securing the whale to the ship.
(b) cut out a tooth from the whale.
(c) carve his name on the whale's back.
(d) cut a steak from the tail of the whale.
3. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Pequod.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Titanic.
(d) the Tit-bit.
4. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) ham and gravy.
(b) bacon and eggs.
(c) fish and chips.
(d) clam and cod chowder.
5. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(b) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(c) they are ghosts and not real men.
(d) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What equipment left on board by Aunt Charity does Stubb throw overboard?
2. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
3. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
4. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
5. What is the rumor about other fish when they encounter the white whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
2. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
3. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
4. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
5. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
6. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
7. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
8. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
9. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
10. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)