|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) the creation of sea creatures.
(b) Balam and the ass.
(c) preparing for death.
(d) Jonah and the whale.
2. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he danced on the table.
(b) he wore a grass skirt.
(c) he tried to kiss the bride.
(d) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
3. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) turns around three times.
(b) crawls under the bed.
(c) jumps up on top of the bed.
(d) sits on the floor.
4. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they receive pardons.
(b) they walk the plank.
(c) they are flogged.
(d) they are hanged.
5. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) common sense and intelligence.
(b) elegance and sophistication.
(c) impetuousness and anger.
(d) ignorance and brashness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
3. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
4. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
5. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
2. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
3. Under what circumstances do Peleg and Bildad leave the Pequod?
4. How do Starbuck and Stubb react to Ahab's stated mission?
5. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
6. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
7. What is the surprise the men of the Pequod get when they spot their first whale and begin to lower the boats?
8. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
9. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
10. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)