|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) clam and cod chowder.
(b) bacon and eggs.
(c) ham and gravy.
(d) fish and chips.
2. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the harpooner.
(b) the oarsman.
(c) the captain.
(d) the first mate.
3. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Pequod.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Tit-bit.
(d) the Titanic.
4. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
(a) whether the captain should go on the boats.
(b) whether captains should be harpooners.
(c) whether captains know enough about whales.
(d) whether the captain should take the helm.
5. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
(a) they manhandle the harpoon line.
(b) they join the rowers.
(c) they switch from harpoons to lances.
(d) they switch places from front to back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
2. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
3. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
4. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
5. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Queequeg determine which of them will select the whaling ship they take for their whaling adventure?
2. What potential serious problem does Ahab ignore in order to talk to the captain of another whaling ship?
3. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
4. How complicated is the process of harvesting the whale blubber?
5. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
6. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
7. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
8. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
9. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
10. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)