|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else catches fire in this section?
(a) Ahab's leg
(b) Ahab's harpoon
(c) The captain's cabin
(d) Ahab's clothes
2. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(b) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(c) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(d) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
3. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
(b) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(c) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(d) because it explains a lot about whales.
4. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because he angered Captain ahab.
(b) because he begs to go along.
(c) because one of the crew is injured.
(d) because he was sleeping in the boat.
5. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) where they will find Moby Dick.
(b) why he must kill Moby Dick.
(c) why Starbuck talks so much.
(d) what his family is doing back home.
6. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die of fright.
(b) he will die before Ahab.
(c) he will die of old age.
(d) he will die on land.
7. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they spied Moby Dick.
(b) they escaped Moby Dick.
(c) they got all around Moby Dick.
(d) they harpooned Moby Dick.
8. What word best describes the mood aboard the Pequod in this section?
9. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) excited and tense.
(b) light and cheerful.
(c) grim and somber.
(d) high with anticipation.
10. What does Ahab ask the carpenter?
(a) If he can use a harpoon
(b) The meaning of his work
(c) If he has a family
(d) If he wants to go for a swim
11. What do Queequeg and Ishmael's boat capture in this section?
(a) A shark
(b) A seal
(c) A baby whale
(d) A squid
12. How does Ahab die?
(a) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(b) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
(c) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(d) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
13. What Biblical story does Ishmael discuss in Chapter 83?
(a) The Crucifixtion
(b) Jesus Walking on Water
(c) Jonah and the Whale
(d) The Good Samaritan
14. What shape does Queequeg want his coffin to be built in?
(a) An hour glass
(b) A canoe
(c) A whale
(d) A harpoon
15. Who is the Pequod crew pursued by in this section?
(b) The Virgin ship
(c) Whale police
(d) Malay pirates
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
2. What does Moby Dick create when he swims around Ahab?
3. What does the captain of the Virgin need from the Pequod?
4. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
5. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)