|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he begins to feel ill.
(b) he has a fight with the other captain.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
2. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die on land.
(b) he will die of old age.
(c) he will die before Ahab.
(d) he will die of fright.
3. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because it explains a lot about whales.
(b) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(c) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(d) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
4. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Pip and Starbuck.
(b) Starbuck and Stubb.
(c) Ishmael and Queequeg.
(d) Ahab and Fedallah.
5. How does Ahab die?
(a) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(b) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(c) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(d) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
6. How does Stubb convince the French ship to leave?
(a) by convincing them the dead whale will make them sick.
(b) by letting them smell the rotting flesh of the whale.
(c) by showing them the Pequod's mark on the whale.
(d) by telling them where to find live whales.
7. What is the irony of the coffin?
(a) a thing of death is so beautifully carved.
(b) a thing of death is an omen for the future.
(c) a thing of death is being turned into a thing of life.
(d) a thing of death is a visual reminder of Moby Dick.
8. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
(a) near Nantucket.
(b) near Jakarta.
(c) near Japan.
(d) near Capetown.
9. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they escaped Moby Dick.
(b) they harpooned Moby Dick.
(c) they got all around Moby Dick.
(d) they spied Moby Dick.
10. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
(a) he raises a pistol as though to shoot Starbuck.
(b) he flies into a rage and threatens the carpenter.
(c) he does not understand what Starbuck tells him.
(d) he becomes concerned about the loss of oil.
11. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
(b) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
(c) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(d) Ahab throws it overboard.
12. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
(b) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(c) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(d) the whale never forgets.
13. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the bones in the mouth.
(b) a substance known as Ambergis.
(c) the tail fins.
(d) the skull and teeth.
14. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the collected myths about whales.
(b) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(c) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(d) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
15. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
(b) he saw the boat being pulled away.
(c) he thought he could see it happen.
(d) it happened right near The Rachel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
2. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
3. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
4. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
5. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)