|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he jumps into the ocean.
(b) he starts to cry.
(c) he hits the whale with his oar.
(d) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
2. What does the carpenter make Ahab's new leg from?
(a) A harpoon
(b) The broken hull of a whaling boat
(d) A spear
3. What does Ahab want to do before the Delight drops a dead man into the sea?
(a) Have a party
(b) Move on
(d) Sing hymns
4. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) nothing of any value.
(b) something to decorate his pipe.
(c) a pair of gold earrings.
(d) the price of a bride.
5. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
(a) it blows off and falls into the ocean.
(b) a sea hawk steals it.
(c) he throwns it in the ocean as bait.
(d) it becomes misshapen in the mist.
6. What does the Pequod kill in this section?
(a) Sword fish
7. What is the name of the boat the Pequod meets in this chapter?
(a) The Moby Grape
(b) The Outsider
(c) The Rogets
(d) The Rachel
8. What does Ahab damage in the second fight with Moby Dick?
(a) His working leg
(b) His right arm
(c) His ivory leg
(d) His glasses
9. Who talks to Ahab about the leaking oil?
10. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) light and cheerful.
(b) excited and tense.
(c) high with anticipation.
(d) grim and somber.
11. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
(b) they can neither smell nor communicate.
(c) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
(d) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
12. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(b) they do not believe it exists.
(c) they heard it was caught and killed.
(d) they spotted it yesterday.
13. What is the name of the ship the Pequod meets in Chapter 100?
(a) The Soldier
(b) The Regal
(c) Samuel Enderby
(d) The Virgin
14. What does the captain think the crew of the boat injured Moby Dick with?
(a) A rifle shot
(b) A harpoon
(c) A dart
(d) An oar
15. What does Ahab make to help the boat?
(a) A new anchor
(b) A compass
(c) A rudder
(d) New sails
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do whales come to the water's surface?
2. What does a whale breathe from?
3. Why do sailors oil the bottom of a boat?
4. What does Ahab do while he looks out to the sea?
5. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)