|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
(a) he wants to be the first one to see the huge whale.
(b) he doubts if the crew would tell him if they spotted Moby Dick.
(c) he wants Moby Dick to spot him easily.
(d) he hopes Moby Dick can smell him and attack the ship.
2. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
(a) passes out rum to the crew.
(b) goes to his cabin to sulk.
(c) dances a jig on the Pequod.
(d) twists and damages his ivory peg leg.
3. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the bones in the mouth.
(b) the tail fins.
(c) the skull and teeth.
(d) a substance known as Ambergis.
4. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) a Grecian urn.
(b) a Roman chariot.
(c) the toe of a boot.
(d) a boulder.
5. How does Ishmael become the only survivor of the wreck of the Pequod?
(a) he manages to get back into the only boat not destroyed.
(b) he is carried on the back of Moby Dick to near The Rachel.
(c) he manages to swim toward The Delight.
(d) the coffin turned life buoy saves his life.
6. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
(a) he falls into a cask of sperm whale oil.
(b) he gets into a fight with Tashtego.
(c) he becomes ill and almost dies.
(d) he slips on the oil and cracks open his head.
7. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
(a) they both lost a limb to Moby Dick.
(b) they are both looking for information about Moby Dick.
(c) they are both looking for revenge against Moby Dick.
(d) they are both insane.
8. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
(a) near Japan.
(b) near Jakarta.
(c) near Capetown.
(d) near Nantucket.
9. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
(a) an ocean whirlpool.
(b) Malay pirates.
(c) a giant squid.
(d) Japanese gun boats.
10. How is Ahab's mental condition best described by this point?
(a) truly morbid.
(b) cheerful with expectation.
(c) much more optimistic.
(d) finally sane.
11. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
(a) he is the only one openly opposed to Ahab.
(b) he is the only one supporting Ahab.
(c) he is the only one sure that Moby Dick is nearby.
(d) he is the only one the crew hates.
12. What makes Starbuck come and talk to Ahab.
(a) he regrets his desire to kill Ahab.
(b) he decides to try one more time to change Ahab.
(c) he takes advantage of the beautiful morning.
(d) he witnesses the unexpected show of emotion by Ahab.
13. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the way it shines in the sunlight.
(b) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
(c) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
(d) the number of cigars it will buy.
14. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the idea of life and death.
(b) the versatility of sailors.
(c) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
(d) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
15. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(b) one of the boats is destroyed.
(c) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
(d) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
2. What is the change in Stubb?
3. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
4. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
5. What does Ahab finally admit?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)