|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs on the Pequod that sends Starbuck to see the captain?
(a) someone is stealing from the crew's lockers.
(b) the rum ration has run out.
(c) Moby Dick is sighted off the starboard side.
(d) there is a leak in one of the casks of whale oil.
2. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
(a) passes out rum to the crew.
(b) goes to his cabin to sulk.
(c) twists and damages his ivory peg leg.
(d) dances a jig on the Pequod.
3. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his personal experience inside a whale.
(b) his listening to too many doubters.
(c) his minute education and inability to reason.
(d) his custom of arguing with everyone.
4. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
(a) he has lost the ability to speak.
(b) his skin and hair has turned white.
(c) he has lost all his clothes.
(d) he has gone insane.
5. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
(b) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
(c) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(d) one of the boats is destroyed.
6. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
(a) ram the other ship.
(b) make obscene gestures at the other crew.
(c) play music and dance.
(d) sail away before the burial at sea.
7. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
(a) to give Stubb a feeling of importance.
(b) because Stubb knows how to talk to the captain.
(c) because he is too busy saving the ship.
(d) for fear of what he might do to the captain if he goes back.
8. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) grim and somber.
(b) high with anticipation.
(c) excited and tense.
(d) light and cheerful.
9. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
10. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because he angered Captain ahab.
(b) because one of the crew is injured.
(c) because he begs to go along.
(d) because he was sleeping in the boat.
11. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
(a) to keep the ship from capsizing.
(b) to appease the sea gods.
(c) to draw the sharks away from the sperm whale.
(d) to attract other whales to the area.
12. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they do not believe it exists.
(b) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(c) they heard it was caught and killed.
(d) they spotted it yesterday.
13. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has doubled over the missing boy.
(b) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(c) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(d) it has softened because of tragedy.
14. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the skull and teeth.
(b) the tail fins.
(c) the bones in the mouth.
(d) a substance known as Ambergis.
15. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(b) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(c) the whale never forgets.
(d) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the change in Stubb?
2. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
3. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
4. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
5. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)