|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he jumps into the ocean.
(b) he hits the whale with his oar.
(c) he starts to cry.
(d) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
2. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(d) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
3. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(b) his personal experience inside a whale.
(c) his minute education and inability to reason.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
(a) he doubts if the crew would tell him if they spotted Moby Dick.
(b) he wants to be the first one to see the huge whale.
(c) he hopes Moby Dick can smell him and attack the ship.
(d) he wants Moby Dick to spot him easily.
5. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because he begs to go along.
(b) because he angered Captain ahab.
(c) because one of the crew is injured.
(d) because he was sleeping in the boat.
6. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) excited and tense.
(b) high with anticipation.
(c) light and cheerful.
(d) grim and somber.
7. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he thought he could see it happen.
(b) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
(c) it happened right near The Rachel.
(d) he saw the boat being pulled away.
8. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
(a) that the White Whale will never be found.
(b) that death is just a part of life.
(c) that Ahab will die before Moby Dick is spotted.
(d) that there will be death and only one survivor.
9. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
(b) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
(c) that he is an inept captain.
(d) that he has been wrong and should return home.
10. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
(a) they are both looking for information about Moby Dick.
(b) they both lost a limb to Moby Dick.
(c) they are both insane.
(d) they are both looking for revenge against Moby Dick.
11. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
(a) near the front of the head.
(b) far back from the forehead.
(c) in its hump.
(d) directly between the eyes.
12. What does the dream predict can kill Ahab?
(a) an iron harpoon.
13. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(b) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
(c) the collected myths about whales.
(d) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
14. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
(a) he ignores the plea and sets out to find Moby Dick.
(b) he disbelieves the captain of The Rachel.
(c) he agrees to join in the search for the missing boat.
(d) he fires on The Rachel and runs away.
15. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) the price of a bride.
(b) a pair of gold earrings.
(c) something to decorate his pipe.
(d) nothing of any value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
2. What reaction do both Ahab and Starbuck have to the Spanish doubloon still nailed to the mast?
3. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
4. What is the change in Stubb?
5. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)