|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
(a) carve a new ivory peg leg for Ahab.
(b) repair all the boats to encounter Moby Dick.
(c) build a chair for Ahab on deck.
(d) erect a tent so Ahab can stay on deck.
2. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) waking the captain.
(b) locking up the captain.
(c) scaring the captain.
(d) murdering the captain.
3. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
(a) directly between the eyes.
(b) in its hump.
(c) near the front of the head.
(d) far back from the forehead.
4. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
(a) his skin and hair has turned white.
(b) he has lost the ability to speak.
(c) he has gone insane.
(d) he has lost all his clothes.
5. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
(a) he is the only one the crew hates.
(b) he is the only one supporting Ahab.
(c) he is the only one openly opposed to Ahab.
(d) he is the only one sure that Moby Dick is nearby.
6. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
(a) that they will overpopulate the oceans and seas.
(b) that they will never become extinct.
(c) that they will evolve into smaller creatures.
(d) that they will be killed off.
7. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die before Ahab.
(b) he will die on land.
(c) he will die of fright.
(d) he will die of old age.
8. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) a boulder.
(b) a Roman chariot.
(c) a Grecian urn.
(d) the toe of a boot.
9. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(d) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
10. What happens to the harpoon especially made for Moby Dick?
(a) it is tossed overboard during the storm.
(b) it smashes into the captain's cabin.
(c) it is lost when Ahab's boat breaks apart.
(d) it catches on fire in ahab's boat.
11. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(a) lamp oil.
12. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
(a) the whale is too large for one boat to haul.
(b) the whale near Ahab is too far to reach the ship by nightfall.
(c) Ahab is too tired to return that evening.
(d) the ship cannot handle more than three whales at a time.
13. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
(b) the versatility of sailors.
(c) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
(d) the idea of life and death.
14. How does Ishmael become the only survivor of the wreck of the Pequod?
(a) the coffin turned life buoy saves his life.
(b) he manages to get back into the only boat not destroyed.
(c) he manages to swim toward The Delight.
(d) he is carried on the back of Moby Dick to near The Rachel.
15. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he has been wrong and should return home.
(b) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
(c) that he is an inept captain.
(d) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
2. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
3. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
4. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
5. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)