|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nationality of the whaling vessel the Pequod meets in this section?
2. What is the male leader of the whales called?
(b) The school master
(c) The king
3. Who is first to approach the Spanish gold coin?
4. What nationality is the crew the Pequod meets in this chapter?
5. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
(a) near Japan.
(b) near Nantucket.
(c) near Capetown.
(d) near Jakarta.
6. How is Ahab's mental condition best described by this point?
(a) truly morbid.
(b) finally sane.
(c) cheerful with expectation.
(d) much more optimistic.
7. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
(a) they are being chased by pirates.
(b) they are being pulled by a harpooned whale.
(c) they are running from Moby Dick.
(d) they are caught in a rip tide.
8. What does Ahab talk about after Starbuck asks him to turn around the ship?
(a) Why he is religious
(b) Why he likes Mozart
(c) Why he must hunt down Moby Dick
(d) Why he became a captain
9. What does Ishmael describe in this section?
(a) His breakfast
(b) The eating habits of the whale
(c) The layout of the ship
(d) The anatomy of the whale
10. Which two characters keep an eye on the crew and the ocean?
(a) Flask and Fedallah
(b) Ishmael and Queequeg
(c) Ahab and Fedallah
(d) Stubb and Starbuck
11. What happens to the ship's sails in this section?
(a) They fall down
(b) They catch on fire
(c) They blow away
(d) They break in half
12. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(d) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
13. What does the captain of the Virgin need from the Pequod?
14. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
(a) he discusses the birth process of whales.
(b) he details migratory habits of whales.
(c) he talks about the breeding grounds of whales.
(d) he discusses the measurement of the whale.
15. What member of the captain's family was aboard the boat?
(a) His mother in law
(b) His cousin
(c) His brother
(d) His son
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the change in Stubb?
2. What does the carpenter turn Queequeg's coffin into?
3. What does a whale breathe from?
4. What does Ahab ask the carpenter?
5. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)