|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) grim and somber.
(b) high with anticipation.
(c) light and cheerful.
(d) excited and tense.
2. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab throws it overboard.
(b) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(c) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
(d) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
3. What occurs on the Pequod that sends Starbuck to see the captain?
(a) someone is stealing from the crew's lockers.
(b) the rum ration has run out.
(c) Moby Dick is sighted off the starboard side.
(d) there is a leak in one of the casks of whale oil.
4. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
(a) an American flag.
(b) a harpoon.
(c) a life buoy.
(d) a coffin.
5. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
(a) ram the other ship.
(b) play music and dance.
(c) sail away before the burial at sea.
(d) make obscene gestures at the other crew.
6. What is the first thing Moby Dick does when he is spotted?
(a) he swims away fast on the surface.
(b) he swims toward the Pequod.
(c) he flukes and dives deep.
(d) he sounds and disappears under the sea.
7. What does the dream predict can kill Ahab?
(b) an iron harpoon.
8. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
(a) he walks sadly away.
(b) he continues to state his case.
(c) he shoves Ahab overboard.
(d) he hopes for the best.
9. How does Ahab die?
(a) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(b) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(c) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(d) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
10. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(b) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(c) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(d) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
11. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Ahab and Fedallah.
(b) Pip and Starbuck.
(c) Starbuck and Stubb.
(d) Ishmael and Queequeg.
12. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
(b) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
(c) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(d) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
13. What is the irony of the coffin?
(a) a thing of death is being turned into a thing of life.
(b) a thing of death is so beautifully carved.
(c) a thing of death is an omen for the future.
(d) a thing of death is a visual reminder of Moby Dick.
14. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
(a) the reason has to do with size.
(b) some whales have more solid bones.
(c) some whales take in more air.
(d) the reason is unknown.
15. What happens to the harpoon especially made for Moby Dick?
(a) it is tossed overboard during the storm.
(b) it catches on fire in ahab's boat.
(c) it is lost when Ahab's boat breaks apart.
(d) it smashes into the captain's cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
2. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
3. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
4. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
5. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)