|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they harpooned Moby Dick.
(b) they spied Moby Dick.
(c) they got all around Moby Dick.
(d) they escaped Moby Dick.
2. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) waking the captain.
(b) scaring the captain.
(c) murdering the captain.
(d) locking up the captain.
3. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the bones in the mouth.
(b) a substance known as Ambergis.
(c) the tail fins.
(d) the skull and teeth.
4. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the number of cigars it will buy.
(b) the way it shines in the sunlight.
(c) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
(d) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
5. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
(a) a ceremony of initiation of new sailors.
(b) a ceremony performed for Neptune.
(c) a ceremony performed for good luck.
(d) a ceremony performed to attract whales.
6. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
(a) it is still attached by an umbilical cord.
(b) it is sick from swallowing a turtle.
(c) it is dying from lack of milk.
(d) it is lost from its mother.
7. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(b) they heard it was caught and killed.
(c) they do not believe it exists.
(d) they spotted it yesterday.
8. What is the change in Stubb?
(a) he becomes more of a clown.
(b) he no longer jokes and laughs.
(c) he walks with a faster pace.
(d) he becomes a cheerleader for the crew.
9. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he hits the whale with his oar.
(b) he starts to cry.
(c) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
(d) he jumps into the ocean.
10. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
(a) Moby Dick ate one of them.
(b) they mutinied against the captain.
(c) they became afraid and turned the ship to run away.
(d) Moby Dick killed five of them.
11. How does Ishmael become the only survivor of the wreck of the Pequod?
(a) he manages to swim toward The Delight.
(b) the coffin turned life buoy saves his life.
(c) he manages to get back into the only boat not destroyed.
(d) he is carried on the back of Moby Dick to near The Rachel.
12. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
(a) a dream Ahab has while waiting out the night.
(b) a story Ahab remembers about Moby Dick.
(c) a dream Fedallah has while on Ahab's boat.
(d) a story Fedallah tells while on Ahab's boat.
13. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
(a) he disbelieves the captain of The Rachel.
(b) he ignores the plea and sets out to find Moby Dick.
(c) he agrees to join in the search for the missing boat.
(d) he fires on The Rachel and runs away.
14. What is the carpenter ordered to do with Queequeg's coffin?
(a) use it to patch up Ahab's boat.
(b) dismantle it for fire wood.
(c) turn it into an oil cask.
(d) turn it into a life buoy.
15. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
2. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
3. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
4. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
5. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)