|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
(a) a giant squid.
(b) Malay pirates.
(c) Japanese gun boats.
(d) an ocean whirlpool.
2. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
(a) a sea hawk steals it.
(b) it blows off and falls into the ocean.
(c) it becomes misshapen in the mist.
(d) he throwns it in the ocean as bait.
3. What is the irony of the coffin?
(a) a thing of death is an omen for the future.
(b) a thing of death is being turned into a thing of life.
(c) a thing of death is so beautifully carved.
(d) a thing of death is a visual reminder of Moby Dick.
4. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
(a) he details migratory habits of whales.
(b) he discusses the birth process of whales.
(c) he talks about the breeding grounds of whales.
(d) he discusses the measurement of the whale.
5. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
(a) Moby Dick ate one of them.
(b) they mutinied against the captain.
(c) Moby Dick killed five of them.
(d) they became afraid and turned the ship to run away.
6. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
(b) the collected myths about whales.
(c) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(d) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
7. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(c) lamp oil.
8. Why is the captain of The Rachel appealing for help from the Pequod?
(a) he wants two ships to surround Moby Dick.
(b) his 12-year-old son is on the boat hauled away by Moby Dick.
(c) one of his crewmen has fallen overboard near Moby Dick.
(d) his ship is taking on water from Moby Dick's damage.
9. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
(a) that they will never become extinct.
(b) that they will evolve into smaller creatures.
(c) that they will be killed off.
(d) that they will overpopulate the oceans and seas.
10. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he thought he could see it happen.
(b) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
(c) he saw the boat being pulled away.
(d) it happened right near The Rachel.
11. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
(a) play music and dance.
(b) make obscene gestures at the other crew.
(c) sail away before the burial at sea.
(d) ram the other ship.
12. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
(a) on top of a mast.
(b) on the rail of the deck.
(c) in his cabin.
(d) at the bow of the ship.
13. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he has been wrong and should return home.
(b) that he is an inept captain.
(c) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
(d) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
14. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
15. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) light and cheerful.
(b) high with anticipation.
(c) excited and tense.
(d) grim and somber.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
2. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
3. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
5. What reaction do both Ahab and Starbuck have to the Spanish doubloon still nailed to the mast?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)