|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the number of cigars it will buy.
(b) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
(c) the way it shines in the sunlight.
(d) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
2. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
(a) he is the only one the crew hates.
(b) he is the only one supporting Ahab.
(c) he is the only one openly opposed to Ahab.
(d) he is the only one sure that Moby Dick is nearby.
3. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(b) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(c) the whale never forgets.
(d) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
4. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
(a) a gigantic brain.
(b) the largest and the most pure quantity of sperm whale oil.
(c) hard bone used as a battering ram.
(d) soft tissue that contains no oil.
5. How is Ahab's mental condition best described by this point?
(a) much more optimistic.
(b) cheerful with expectation.
(c) finally sane.
(d) truly morbid.
6. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
(a) they are being chased by pirates.
(b) they are being pulled by a harpooned whale.
(c) they are caught in a rip tide.
(d) they are running from Moby Dick.
7. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
(a) a dream Ahab has while waiting out the night.
(b) a story Ahab remembers about Moby Dick.
(c) a dream Fedallah has while on Ahab's boat.
(d) a story Fedallah tells while on Ahab's boat.
8. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
(a) he agrees to join in the search for the missing boat.
(b) he disbelieves the captain of The Rachel.
(c) he fires on The Rachel and runs away.
(d) he ignores the plea and sets out to find Moby Dick.
9. How does Stubb regain a dead whale from a French whaling boat?
(a) by threatening to blow up their boat.
(b) by playing poker.
(c) by stealing the dead whale at night.
(d) by using humor and intelligence.
10. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he saw the boat being pulled away.
(b) it happened right near The Rachel.
(c) he thought he could see it happen.
(d) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
11. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
(a) it catches on fire.
(b) it breaks in two.
(c) it glows in the dark.
(d) it loses all its sails.
12. What does Fedallah's dream depict about hearses?
(a) Ahab will ride in a wooden hearse.
(b) Ahab will never ride in a hearse.
(c) Ahab will see one not made with human hands.
(d) Ahab will be saved by a hearse.
13. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
(a) the ship cannot handle more than three whales at a time.
(b) the whale near Ahab is too far to reach the ship by nightfall.
(c) Ahab is too tired to return that evening.
(d) the whale is too large for one boat to haul.
14. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
(a) erect a tent so Ahab can stay on deck.
(b) build a chair for Ahab on deck.
(c) repair all the boats to encounter Moby Dick.
(d) carve a new ivory peg leg for Ahab.
15. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
(a) a ceremony of initiation of new sailors.
(b) a ceremony performed for good luck.
(c) a ceremony performed to attract whales.
(d) a ceremony performed for Neptune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
2. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
3. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
4. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
5. How does Ahab die?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)