|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
(b) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
(c) the versatility of sailors.
(d) the idea of life and death.
2. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
(a) he walks sadly away.
(b) he continues to state his case.
(c) he hopes for the best.
(d) he shoves Ahab overboard.
3. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
(a) soft tissue that contains no oil.
(b) the largest and the most pure quantity of sperm whale oil.
(c) hard bone used as a battering ram.
(d) a gigantic brain.
4. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he begins to feel ill.
(b) he has a fight with the other captain.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
5. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Pip and Starbuck.
(b) Ahab and Fedallah.
(c) Starbuck and Stubb.
(d) Ishmael and Queequeg.
6. Why is the captain of The Rachel appealing for help from the Pequod?
(a) one of his crewmen has fallen overboard near Moby Dick.
(b) his 12-year-old son is on the boat hauled away by Moby Dick.
(c) he wants two ships to surround Moby Dick.
(d) his ship is taking on water from Moby Dick's damage.
7. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the ship has come aground.
(b) the ship is dead in the water.
(c) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
(d) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
8. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the bones in the mouth.
(b) the tail fins.
(c) a substance known as Ambergis.
(d) the skull and teeth.
9. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he starts to cry.
(b) he hits the whale with his oar.
(c) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
(d) he jumps into the ocean.
10. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
(a) it blows off and falls into the ocean.
(b) a sea hawk steals it.
(c) he throwns it in the ocean as bait.
(d) it becomes misshapen in the mist.
11. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
(a) he is the only one the crew hates.
(b) he is the only one openly opposed to Ahab.
(c) he is the only one supporting Ahab.
(d) he is the only one sure that Moby Dick is nearby.
12. What is the carpenter ordered to do with Queequeg's coffin?
(a) turn it into an oil cask.
(b) use it to patch up Ahab's boat.
(c) turn it into a life buoy.
(d) dismantle it for fire wood.
13. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(b) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(c) the whale never forgets.
(d) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
14. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) an unborn whale.
(b) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(c) timbers from a whaling boat.
(d) the remains of a man.
15. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
2. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
3. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
4. What is the carpenter doing when Ahab ascends to deck the next morning?
5. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)