|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
(a) he talks about the breeding grounds of whales.
(b) he discusses the birth process of whales.
(c) he details migratory habits of whales.
(d) he discusses the measurement of the whale.
2. How does Ahab die?
(a) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(b) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(c) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(d) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
3. What is the change in Stubb?
(a) he no longer jokes and laughs.
(b) he walks with a faster pace.
(c) he becomes a cheerleader for the crew.
(d) he becomes more of a clown.
4. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
(a) Moby dick has been killed.
(b) they are fleeing pirates.
(c) they have seen Moby Dick.
(d) they are overloaded with oil.
5. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
(b) the whale never forgets.
(c) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(d) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
6. What does the dream predict can kill Ahab?
(a) an iron harpoon.
7. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(b) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(c) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(d) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
8. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(b) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(c) it has doubled over the missing boy.
(d) it has softened because of tragedy.
9. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) grim and somber.
(b) excited and tense.
(c) high with anticipation.
(d) light and cheerful.
10. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he is an inept captain.
(b) that he has been wrong and should return home.
(c) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
(d) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
11. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
12. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) what his family is doing back home.
(b) why he must kill Moby Dick.
(c) why Starbuck talks so much.
(d) where they will find Moby Dick.
13. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
(a) because Stubb knows how to talk to the captain.
(b) because he is too busy saving the ship.
(c) to give Stubb a feeling of importance.
(d) for fear of what he might do to the captain if he goes back.
14. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
(a) it is still attached by an umbilical cord.
(b) it is sick from swallowing a turtle.
(c) it is lost from its mother.
(d) it is dying from lack of milk.
15. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they harpooned Moby Dick.
(b) they escaped Moby Dick.
(c) they got all around Moby Dick.
(d) they spied Moby Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
2. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
3. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
4. What happens that is uncharacteristic of Ahab?
5. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)