|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
(a) soft tissue that contains no oil.
(b) hard bone used as a battering ram.
(c) the largest and the most pure quantity of sperm whale oil.
(d) a gigantic brain.
2. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
(b) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(c) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(d) the whale never forgets.
3. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(c) they heard it was caught and killed.
(d) they do not believe it exists.
4. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Starbuck and Stubb.
(b) Pip and Starbuck.
(c) Ahab and Fedallah.
(d) Ishmael and Queequeg.
5. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
(a) on top of a mast.
(b) in his cabin.
(c) on the rail of the deck.
(d) at the bow of the ship.
6. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) a Grecian urn.
(b) a boulder.
(c) a Roman chariot.
(d) the toe of a boot.
7. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
(b) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
(c) the idea of life and death.
(d) the versatility of sailors.
8. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) murdering the captain.
(b) locking up the captain.
(c) waking the captain.
(d) scaring the captain.
9. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
(a) an American flag.
(b) a harpoon.
(c) a coffin.
(d) a life buoy.
10. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
(a) he talks about the breeding grounds of whales.
(b) he details migratory habits of whales.
(c) he discusses the measurement of the whale.
(d) he discusses the birth process of whales.
11. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab harpoons the whale.
(b) Ahab falls into the ocean but gets back in the boat.
(c) Ahab misses with his harpoon.
(d) Moby Dick swims to the other side of the Pequod.
12. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(b) it has doubled over the missing boy.
(c) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(d) it has softened because of tragedy.
13. What is Ahab thinking about as he looks out to sea?
(a) the fall in Nantucket.
(b) vacationing in Italy.
(c) whether whales have families.
(d) home, family, and growing older.
14. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
(a) build a chair for Ahab on deck.
(b) erect a tent so Ahab can stay on deck.
(c) repair all the boats to encounter Moby Dick.
(d) carve a new ivory peg leg for Ahab.
15. What is the carpenter doing when Ahab ascends to deck the next morning?
(a) turning the coffin into a life buoy.
(b) carving Ahab's new ivory leg.
(c) making a table for the captain.
(d) repairing holes in the deck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
2. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
3. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
4. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
5. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)