|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crew of The Delight about to do as the Pequod comes alongside?
(a) lower the sails.
(b) man the whale boats.
(c) repair the masts.
(d) bury one of their men.
2. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) where they will find Moby Dick.
(b) why Starbuck talks so much.
(c) what his family is doing back home.
(d) why he must kill Moby Dick.
3. What does Ishmael recount about the Samuel Enderby that occurs many years later?
(a) he meets a sailor who remembers Captain Ahab.
(b) he learns how the Samuel Enderby ran aground.
(c) he has a fine social evening on board the ship.
(d) he hears that Moby Dick sank the ship.
4. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
(b) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(c) the collected myths about whales.
(d) the comparison of whales to elephants.
5. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
6. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they can neither smell nor communicate.
(b) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
(c) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
(d) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
7. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they heard it was caught and killed.
(b) they spotted it yesterday.
(c) they do not believe it exists.
(d) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
8. What happens that is uncharacteristic of Ahab?
(a) he sheds a tear.
(b) he pats Pip on the back.
(c) he smiles.
(d) he agrees with Starbuck.
9. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
(a) they both lost a limb to Moby Dick.
(b) they are both looking for information about Moby Dick.
(c) they are both looking for revenge against Moby Dick.
(d) they are both insane.
10. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
(a) some whales have more solid bones.
(b) the reason has to do with size.
(c) some whales take in more air.
(d) the reason is unknown.
11. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
(a) a dream Ahab has while waiting out the night.
(b) a dream Fedallah has while on Ahab's boat.
(c) a story Fedallah tells while on Ahab's boat.
(d) a story Ahab remembers about Moby Dick.
12. What does Moby Dick do as he spots Ahab?
(a) he blows and disappears again.
(b) he seems to smile at ahab.
(c) he tries to capsize Ahab's boat.
(d) he takes a bite out of the boat Ahab is on.
13. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) a Roman chariot.
(b) a boulder.
(c) the toe of a boot.
(d) a Grecian urn.
14. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
(a) that they will be killed off.
(b) that they will evolve into smaller creatures.
(c) that they will never become extinct.
(d) that they will overpopulate the oceans and seas.
15. How does Ahab die?
(a) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(b) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(c) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(d) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
2. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
3. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
4. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
5. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)