|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(b) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
(c) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
(d) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
2. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
(b) that he is an inept captain.
(c) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
(d) that he has been wrong and should return home.
3. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his minute education and inability to reason.
(b) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(c) his personal experience inside a whale.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
4. What is the first thing Moby Dick does when he is spotted?
(a) he swims away fast on the surface.
(b) he swims toward the Pequod.
(c) he sounds and disappears under the sea.
(d) he flukes and dives deep.
5. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he begins to feel ill.
(b) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he has a fight with the other captain.
6. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
(a) that they will evolve into smaller creatures.
(b) that they will be killed off.
(c) that they will never become extinct.
(d) that they will overpopulate the oceans and seas.
7. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
(a) he is the only one supporting Ahab.
(b) he is the only one sure that Moby Dick is nearby.
(c) he is the only one openly opposed to Ahab.
(d) he is the only one the crew hates.
8. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) something to decorate his pipe.
(b) a pair of gold earrings.
(c) nothing of any value.
(d) the price of a bride.
9. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
(b) the way it shines in the sunlight.
(c) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
(d) the number of cigars it will buy.
10. What reaction do both Ahab and Starbuck have to the Spanish doubloon still nailed to the mast?
11. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab falls into the ocean but gets back in the boat.
(b) Ahab harpoons the whale.
(c) Ahab misses with his harpoon.
(d) Moby Dick swims to the other side of the Pequod.
12. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(b) lamp oil.
13. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
(a) he details migratory habits of whales.
(b) he discusses the birth process of whales.
(c) he talks about the breeding grounds of whales.
(d) he discusses the measurement of the whale.
14. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
(a) a dream Ahab has while waiting out the night.
(b) a story Ahab remembers about Moby Dick.
(c) a dream Fedallah has while on Ahab's boat.
(d) a story Fedallah tells while on Ahab's boat.
15. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
(a) it becomes misshapen in the mist.
(b) he throwns it in the ocean as bait.
(c) a sea hawk steals it.
(d) it blows off and falls into the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
2. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
3. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
4. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
5. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)