|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) the toe of a boot.
(b) a boulder.
(c) a Roman chariot.
(d) a Grecian urn.
2. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab throws it overboard.
(b) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
(c) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(d) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
3. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he has been wrong and should return home.
(b) that he is an inept captain.
(c) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
(d) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
4. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(b) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(c) the collected myths about whales.
(d) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
5. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
(b) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
(c) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(d) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
6. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because he was sleeping in the boat.
(b) because he begs to go along.
(c) because one of the crew is injured.
(d) because he angered Captain ahab.
7. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab falls into the ocean but gets back in the boat.
(b) Moby Dick swims to the other side of the Pequod.
(c) Ahab misses with his harpoon.
(d) Ahab harpoons the whale.
8. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
(a) they are both looking for revenge against Moby Dick.
(b) they are both looking for information about Moby Dick.
(c) they are both insane.
(d) they both lost a limb to Moby Dick.
9. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
(a) the reason is unknown.
(b) some whales have more solid bones.
(c) the reason has to do with size.
(d) some whales take in more air.
10. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) high with anticipation.
(b) excited and tense.
(c) grim and somber.
(d) light and cheerful.
11. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
(a) he does not understand what Starbuck tells him.
(b) he becomes concerned about the loss of oil.
(c) he raises a pistol as though to shoot Starbuck.
(d) he flies into a rage and threatens the carpenter.
12. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
(a) they have seen Moby Dick.
(b) they are overloaded with oil.
(c) they are fleeing pirates.
(d) Moby dick has been killed.
13. How is Ahab's mental condition best described by this point?
(a) much more optimistic.
(b) cheerful with expectation.
(c) finally sane.
(d) truly morbid.
14. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has softened because of tragedy.
(b) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(c) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(d) it has doubled over the missing boy.
15. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
(a) that they will be killed off.
(b) that they will evolve into smaller creatures.
(c) that they will never become extinct.
(d) that they will overpopulate the oceans and seas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
2. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
3. To what complaint does Ahab admit?
4. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
5. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)