|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the harpoon especially made for Moby Dick?
(a) it smashes into the captain's cabin.
(b) it is tossed overboard during the storm.
(c) it is lost when Ahab's boat breaks apart.
(d) it catches on fire in ahab's boat.
2. How does Stubb convince the French ship to leave?
(a) by letting them smell the rotting flesh of the whale.
(b) by telling them where to find live whales.
(c) by showing them the Pequod's mark on the whale.
(d) by convincing them the dead whale will make them sick.
3. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) waking the captain.
(b) murdering the captain.
(c) locking up the captain.
(d) scaring the captain.
4. To what complaint does Ahab admit?
(a) never being able to sleep.
(b) mental instability at times.
(c) the fear of losing both legs.
(d) phantom pain from his missing leg.
5. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
(a) to give Stubb a feeling of importance.
(b) because Stubb knows how to talk to the captain.
(c) for fear of what he might do to the captain if he goes back.
(d) because he is too busy saving the ship.
6. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because one of the crew is injured.
(b) because he begs to go along.
(c) because he angered Captain ahab.
(d) because he was sleeping in the boat.
7. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
(a) reinforce the sides of the Pequod.
(b) make more lances to use on Moby Dick.
(c) forge an iron harpoon only for Moby Dick.
(d) make a cast iron coffin for him if Moby Dick is not found.
8. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
(a) the largest and the most pure quantity of sperm whale oil.
(b) a gigantic brain.
(c) hard bone used as a battering ram.
(d) soft tissue that contains no oil.
9. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he has a fight with the other captain.
(b) he begins to feel ill.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
10. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
(a) to attract other whales to the area.
(b) to draw the sharks away from the sperm whale.
(c) to keep the ship from capsizing.
(d) to appease the sea gods.
11. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
(a) he disbelieves the captain of The Rachel.
(b) he fires on The Rachel and runs away.
(c) he ignores the plea and sets out to find Moby Dick.
(d) he agrees to join in the search for the missing boat.
12. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they do not believe it exists.
(c) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(d) they heard it was caught and killed.
13. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
(a) it is dying from lack of milk.
(b) it is lost from its mother.
(c) it is sick from swallowing a turtle.
(d) it is still attached by an umbilical cord.
14. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
(b) he jumps into the ocean.
(c) he hits the whale with his oar.
(d) he starts to cry.
15. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
(b) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(c) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
(d) one of the boats is destroyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
2. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
3. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
4. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
5. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)