|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters lance the Right Whale?
(a) Stubb and Flask
(b) Flask and Queequeg
(c) Ahab and Starbuck
(d) Ishmael and Queequeg
2. What does Ahab finally admit?
(a) that he cannot look at the bright side of things.
(b) that he has been wrong and should return home.
(c) that Starbuck is right and he is wrong.
(d) that he is an inept captain.
3. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(b) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
(c) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
(d) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
4. What kind of whale does the crew want to kill in this chapter?
(a) A Greenland Whale
(b) A Right Whale
(c) A Flask Whale
(d) A Sperm Whale
5. Who does Ahab allow to stay in his cabin?
6. What is still attached to the baby whale?
(a) A dart
(b) Its umbilical cord
(c) A crab
(d) Its sister
7. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) where they will find Moby Dick.
(b) why he must kill Moby Dick.
(c) why Starbuck talks so much.
(d) what his family is doing back home.
8. Who is first to approach the Spanish gold coin?
9. Who does Fedallah tell his dream to?
10. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the way it shines in the sunlight.
(b) the number of cigars it will buy.
(c) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
(d) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
11. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
12. Who watches everyone approach the gold coin?
13. What kind of sea animal bites at the men's oars?
(b) Sword fish
14. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(b) one of the boats is destroyed.
(c) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
(d) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
15. What is the next whaling ship the Pequod meets during the search for Moby Dick?
(a) The Barbara Ellen.
(b) The Nantucket.
(c) The Delight.
(d) The Bounty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to five of the captain's men during their battle with Moby Dick?
2. What does Moby Dick create when he swims around Ahab?
3. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
4. What does Ishmael recount about the Samuel Enderby that occurs many years later?
5. What does Ahab have to replace in this chapter?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)