Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) why Starbuck talks so much.
(b) what his family is doing back home.
(c) where they will find Moby Dick.
(d) why he must kill Moby Dick.
2. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
(a) some whales have more solid bones.
(b) the reason has to do with size.
(c) some whales take in more air.
(d) the reason is unknown.
3. What is the name of the ship the Pequod meets in Chapter 100?
(a) The Soldier
(b) Samuel Enderby
(c) The Virgin
(d) The Regal
4. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
(a) the astrological meaning of the engraving on the coin.
(b) the plan he has for getting it for himself.
(c) the number of cigars it will buy.
(d) the way it shines in the sunlight.
5. Which of the following does a shark not use its tail for?
(a) A sweeper
(b) A mace
(c) A way to comunicate
6. What is the change in Stubb?
(a) he walks with a faster pace.
(b) he becomes more of a clown.
(c) he becomes a cheerleader for the crew.
(d) he no longer jokes and laughs.
7. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
(b) the collected myths about whales.
(c) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(d) the comparison of whales to elephants.
8. Who is Ahab's harpoon specifically meant to kill?
(a) The President
(c) A Malay pirate
(d) Moby Dick
9. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
(a) an American flag.
(b) a coffin.
(c) a harpoon.
(d) a life buoy.
10. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the ship has come aground.
(b) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
(c) the ship is dead in the water.
(d) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
11. Why does one man denounce the story of Jonah and the whale?
(a) A whale eats only fish
(b) Jonah would not have survived his ship wreck
(c) Jonah did not exist
(d) A whale could not swallow a whole man
12. What does Ahab ask the crew of the Rachel?
(a) If they can spare oil
(b) If they have seen Moby Dick
(c) If they got caught in the storm
(d) If they can spare men
13. What is the carpenter doing when Ahab ascends to deck the next morning?
(a) making a table for the captain.
(b) turning the coffin into a life buoy.
(c) repairing holes in the deck.
(d) carving Ahab's new ivory leg.
14. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
(a) he slips on the oil and cracks open his head.
(b) he gets into a fight with Tashtego.
(c) he falls into a cask of sperm whale oil.
(d) he becomes ill and almost dies.
15. What does Ahab want to do before the Delight drops a dead man into the sea?
(a) Have a party
(b) Move on
(d) Sing hymns
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
2. What does the crew of the Delight say they had an encounter with?
3. What is the crew of The Delight about to do as the Pequod comes alongside?
4. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
5. What makes Starbuck come and talk to Ahab.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)