|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his personal experience inside a whale.
(b) his minute education and inability to reason.
(c) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
2. How does Ahab die?
(a) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(b) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
(c) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(d) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
3. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die of old age.
(b) he will die on land.
(c) he will die of fright.
(d) he will die before Ahab.
4. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
(a) he slips on the oil and cracks open his head.
(b) he becomes ill and almost dies.
(c) he gets into a fight with Tashtego.
(d) he falls into a cask of sperm whale oil.
5. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) something to decorate his pipe.
(b) nothing of any value.
(c) a pair of gold earrings.
(d) the price of a bride.
6. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
(b) the versatility of sailors.
(c) the idea of life and death.
(d) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
7. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) a substance known as Ambergis.
(b) the skull and teeth.
(c) the bones in the mouth.
(d) the tail fins.
8. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) grim and somber.
(b) high with anticipation.
(c) excited and tense.
(d) light and cheerful.
9. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
(a) soft tissue that contains no oil.
(b) a gigantic brain.
(c) the largest and the most pure quantity of sperm whale oil.
(d) hard bone used as a battering ram.
10. What makes Starbuck come and talk to Ahab.
(a) he regrets his desire to kill Ahab.
(b) he decides to try one more time to change Ahab.
(c) he takes advantage of the beautiful morning.
(d) he witnesses the unexpected show of emotion by Ahab.
11. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they spied Moby Dick.
(b) they got all around Moby Dick.
(c) they escaped Moby Dick.
(d) they harpooned Moby Dick.
12. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
(a) he has lost the ability to speak.
(b) he has gone insane.
(c) his skin and hair has turned white.
(d) he has lost all his clothes.
13. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
(a) for fear of what he might do to the captain if he goes back.
(b) because he is too busy saving the ship.
(c) because Stubb knows how to talk to the captain.
(d) to give Stubb a feeling of importance.
14. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(b) they do not believe it exists.
(c) they spotted it yesterday.
(d) they heard it was caught and killed.
15. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
(a) he wants to be the first one to see the huge whale.
(b) he doubts if the crew would tell him if they spotted Moby Dick.
(c) he hopes Moby Dick can smell him and attack the ship.
(d) he wants Moby Dick to spot him easily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
2. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
3. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
4. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
5. What is the crew of The Delight about to do as the Pequod comes alongside?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)