|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Pine.
(b) Father Sycamore.
(c) Father Maple.
(d) Father Elm.
2. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(b) map making.
3. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
4. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(b) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(c) offering to work for less pay.
(d) giving the owners shrunken heads.
5. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) still at home in his bedroom.
(b) standing on the deck.
(c) in his cabin.
(d) bringing up the rear.
6. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they ask too many questions.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
(d) they become easily bored.
7. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
8. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the sperm whale.
(d) the duodecimo whale.
9. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(b) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(c) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(d) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
10. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his time in the whaling boats.
(d) his work in the galley.
11. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is double decked.
(b) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(c) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
(d) It is covered with sharkskin.
12. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
13. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(b) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(c) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(d) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
14. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He never sees Queequeg again.
(b) He decides he has made a mistake.
(c) He has started to have seasickness.
(d) He has not yet seen the captain.
15. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They look dazed.
(b) They do not know how to dress.
(c) They have on new Macintoshes.
(d) They are carrying large carpetbags.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
2. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
3. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
4. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
5. How does Ishmael describe the whales he sees in the ocean?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)