|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the heroism of whaling.
(b) the marks of distinction.
(c) the dangers of the sea.
(d) the time away from land.
2. What happens to Radney during a whale chase?
(a) he is murdered by Steelkilt.
(b) he is thrown overboard.
(c) he is promoted to harpooner.
(d) he is eaten by the whale.
3. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
(a) to the harmony of mind and body.
(b) to men on a battlefield.
(c) to political conflicts.
(d) to areas of the human soul.
4. What does Queequg's signature look like?
(a) A snake
(b) The Russian alphabet
(c) One of his tattoos
(d) The letter F
5. What does Ahab want to hunt down and kill?
(a) Moby Dick
(b) The King seal
(d) A Greenland whale
6. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
(a) Quequeg's uncle.
(b) Queequeg's father.
(d) Queequeg's brother.
7. Where does Ishmael find lodgings?
(b) New Bedford
8. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Titanic.
(b) the Tit-bit.
(c) the Devil-dam.
(d) the Pequod.
9. What does Ishmael think the sea monster probably was?
(a) A sperm whale
(b) A shark
(c) A greenland whale
(d) A serpent
10. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
(a) a savage from the islands.
(b) a defrocked priest.
(c) another man named Starbuck.
(d) a prophet of the Neskyeuna Shakers.
11. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
(b) It is covered with sharkskin.
(c) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(d) It is double decked.
12. What is the name of the eccentric man Queequeg and Ishmael meet?
13. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) common sense and intelligence.
(b) ignorance and brashness.
(c) elegance and sophistication.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
14. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
15. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
(a) he takes the watch for more whales.
(b) he carries equipment to the other crew members.
(c) he carves the teeth from the whale.
(d) he descends to hold it secure.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
2. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
3. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
4. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
5. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)