|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
(b) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
(c) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
(d) the way they head south in the winter.
2. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(b) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(c) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(d) five men they had not seen before.
3. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
(a) on their backs.
(b) in a wheelbarrow.
(c) in a taxi.
(d) on a hay cart.
4. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) his crew is ill.
(b) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(c) he does not like Ahab.
(d) he never leaves his own ship.
5. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
6. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
7. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
8. How does Ishmael describe the whales he sees in the ocean?
(a) like ships without sails.
(b) like big gray buses.
(c) like big lumps of gray.
(d) like huge rocks in the water.
9. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) common sense and intelligence.
(c) ignorance and brashness.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
10. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(b) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(c) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(d) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
11. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(b) that he knows why they are there.
(c) that he is playing a game with them.
(d) that he is aware of them.
12. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the time away from land.
(b) the heroism of whaling.
(c) the marks of distinction.
(d) the dangers of the sea.
13. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) scrapes from coral reefs.
(b) contacts with ships.
(d) contacts with other whales.
14. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
(a) Quequeg's uncle.
(c) Queequeg's brother.
(d) Queequeg's father.
15. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) keeping the sharks away.
(b) keeping the ropes from breaking.
(c) changing the direction of the ship.
(d) balancing the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
2. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
3. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
4. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
5. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)