|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(b) five men they had not seen before.
(c) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(d) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
2. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he danced on the table.
(b) he tried to kiss the bride.
(c) he wore a grass skirt.
(d) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
3. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(b) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(c) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
(d) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
4. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
(a) to get news of Moby Dick.
(b) to have dinner with him.
(c) to have him check the Pequod's charts.
(d) to give him medical supplies.
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) a small lasso.
(b) a long stick.
(c) his harpoon.
(d) his long arms.
6. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by winning an arm wrestling match.
(d) by saving a man who fell overboard.
7. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) impetuousness and anger.
(c) common sense and intelligence.
(d) ignorance and brashness.
8. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) make out his will.
(b) lead a mutiny.
(c) resign and jump ship.
(d) pray every day more urgently.
9. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are ghosts and not real men.
(b) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(c) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(d) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
10. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
(a) he carries equipment to the other crew members.
(b) he takes the watch for more whales.
(c) he carves the teeth from the whale.
(d) he descends to hold it secure.
11. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
(b) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
(c) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(d) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
12. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(b) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(c) because it deals with whale stories.
(d) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
13. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(b) There are stowaways on board.
(c) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(d) There is live bait in the hold.
14. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He has not yet seen the captain.
(b) He never sees Queequeg again.
(c) He has started to have seasickness.
(d) He decides he has made a mistake.
15. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(b) map making.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
2. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
3. How does Ishmael describe the whales he sees in the ocean?
4. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
5. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)