|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
(a) exactly where all the holes are made for his peg leg.
(b) all the crew thinks he has lost his mind.
(c) all eyes look to see lest he fall or hold onto anything to steady himself.
(d) all the crew are fearful of him.
2. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
(a) estimating its weight.
(b) removing its skin.
(c) hauling it back to the ship.
(d) cutting off its head and tail.
3. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) turns around three times.
(b) jumps up on top of the bed.
(c) crawls under the bed.
(d) sits on the floor.
4. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
(b) the whale looked like an ice berg.
(c) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
(d) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
5. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to convert him to Christianity.
(b) to ask for another room.
(c) to keep his pistol loaded.
(d) to become his friend.
6. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) clam and cod chowder.
(b) fish and chips.
(c) ham and gravy.
(d) bacon and eggs.
7. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) Jonah and the whale.
(b) preparing for death.
(c) the creation of sea creatures.
(d) Balam and the ass.
8. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(b) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(c) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(d) he adds comic relief to the story.
9. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
(a) they are pictured in false colors.
(b) they are too realistic.
(c) they are painted out of the water.
(d) they are imaginary and not true to life.
10. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
11. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the head and tail.
(b) the blubber.
(c) the ivory teeth and bones.
(d) the skin.
12. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
13. What happens to Radney during a whale chase?
(a) he is murdered by Steelkilt.
(b) he is promoted to harpooner.
(c) he is thrown overboard.
(d) he is eaten by the whale.
14. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
15. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
(a) in a wheelbarrow.
(b) on a hay cart.
(c) in a taxi.
(d) on their backs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
2. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
3. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
4. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
5. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)