|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
(a) by not thinking about it.
(b) with his sense of humor.
(c) with a great deal of tension.
(d) by writing in a diary.
2. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(b) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(c) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(d) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
3. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) make stays for corsets.
(b) carve animals.
(c) throw them overboard.
(d) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
4. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
(a) he takes the watch for more whales.
(b) he carries equipment to the other crew members.
(c) he carves the teeth from the whale.
(d) he descends to hold it secure.
5. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(b) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(c) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(d) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
6. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a shared room with a harpooner.
(b) a closet.
(c) a bench in the dining room.
(d) a bunk in a communal room.
7. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) the creation of sea creatures.
(b) preparing for death.
(c) Balam and the ass.
(d) Jonah and the whale.
8. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He finds no pleasure in life.
(b) His hair has turned white.
(c) He has lost his appetite.
(d) He cannot sleep at night.
9. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
(b) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(c) because it deals with whale stories.
(d) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
10. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) keeping the ropes from breaking.
(b) keeping the sharks away.
(c) changing the direction of the ship.
(d) balancing the ship.
11. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(b) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(c) they are ghosts and not real men.
(d) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
12. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(b) sing and dance.
(c) play cards.
(d) tell sea tales.
13. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He explains why they are socially low.
(b) He defends their crude manners.
(c) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(d) He uses history to honor whalers.
14. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
(a) a defrocked priest.
(b) another man named Starbuck.
(c) a prophet of the Neskyeuna Shakers.
(d) a savage from the islands.
15. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) go wake up Captain Ahab.
(b) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(c) return to shore in a small boat.
(d) leave the Pequod on a raft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
2. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
3. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
4. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
5. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)