|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
(b) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(c) because it deals with whale stories.
(d) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
2. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) bacon and eggs.
(b) clam and cod chowder.
(c) fish and chips.
(d) ham and gravy.
3. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the heroism of whaling.
(b) the time away from land.
(c) the marks of distinction.
(d) the dangers of the sea.
4. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) ignorance and brashness.
(c) impetuousness and anger.
(d) common sense and intelligence.
5. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
(a) to a painting of a ship drawn from a shipwreck.
(b) to a painting of a house from another culture.
(c) to a painting of the moon.
(d) to a painting of a tiger seen in a cage.
6. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He finds no pleasure in life.
(b) He cannot sleep at night.
(c) He has lost his appetite.
(d) His hair has turned white.
7. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) standing on the deck.
(b) still at home in his bedroom.
(c) in his cabin.
(d) bringing up the rear.
8. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
(a) to areas of the human soul.
(b) to the harmony of mind and body.
(c) to political conflicts.
(d) to men on a battlefield.
9. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
10. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he wore a grass skirt.
(b) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(c) he tried to kiss the bride.
(d) he danced on the table.
11. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
(b) the way they head south in the winter.
(c) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
(d) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
12. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) his harpoon.
(b) a long stick.
(c) his long arms.
(d) a small lasso.
13. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the anchor.
(b) the monkey.
(c) the cowboy.
(d) the door post.
14. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(b) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(c) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
15. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its ability to destroy a large ship.
(b) its intelligence and cunning.
(c) its memory.
(d) its ability to stay for days under water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
2. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
3. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
4. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
5. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)