|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(b) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(c) five men they had not seen before.
(d) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
2. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
(b) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(c) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(d) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
3. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(b) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(c) he adds comic relief to the story.
(d) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
4. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a duodecimo whale.
(b) an octavo whale.
(c) a folio whale.
(d) a Greenland whale.
5. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) builders of the Pequod.
(b) crewmen on the Pequod.
(c) part owners of the Pequod.
(d) outfitters of the Pequod.
6. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(b) go wake up Captain Ahab.
(c) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(d) return to shore in a small boat.
7. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
8. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) smoking his pipe.
(b) shaving with his harpoon.
(c) sharpening his hatchet.
(d) selling a shrunken head.
9. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He finds no pleasure in life.
(b) His hair has turned white.
(c) He cannot sleep at night.
(d) He has lost his appetite.
10. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to become his friend.
(b) to keep his pistol loaded.
(c) to convert him to Christianity.
(d) to ask for another room.
11. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
(a) all the crew are fearful of him.
(b) all the crew thinks he has lost his mind.
(c) all eyes look to see lest he fall or hold onto anything to steady himself.
(d) exactly where all the holes are made for his peg leg.
12. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
(a) He becomes fearful and mutinous.
(b) He remains the valiant and moral person he first appears to be.
(c) He loses all his moral values and tries to kill Ahab.
(d) He changes into a madman.
13. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(b) There are stowaways on board.
(c) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(d) There is live bait in the hold.
14. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the duodecimo whale.
(c) the octavo whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
15. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Pequod.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Tit-bit.
(d) the Titanic.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
2. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
3. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
4. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)