|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
2. What does Ishmael say the sea is covered with in this chapter?
(c) Seal skin
3. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(b) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(c) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(d) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
4. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the skin.
(b) the ivory teeth and bones.
(c) the blubber.
(d) the head and tail.
5. Where does Ishmael find lodgings?
(b) New Bedford
6. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) jumps up on top of the bed.
(b) crawls under the bed.
(c) turns around three times.
(d) sits on the floor.
7. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) common sense and intelligence.
(c) ignorance and brashness.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
8. What is Ishmael's new hotel called?
(a) The Laurel
(b) The Try Pots
(c) Moby Dick
(d) The White Whale
9. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he danced on the table.
(b) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(c) he wore a grass skirt.
(d) he tried to kiss the bride.
10. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He uses history to honor whalers.
(b) He defends their crude manners.
(c) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(d) He explains why they are socially low.
11. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He has lost his appetite.
(b) He cannot sleep at night.
(c) He finds no pleasure in life.
(d) His hair has turned white.
12. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
13. What does the captain say Moby Dick is an incarnation of?
(a) George Washington
(b) Julius Caesar
(c) A Shaker God
(d) Attila the Hun
14. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
(a) to a painting of the moon.
(b) to a painting of a tiger seen in a cage.
(c) to a painting of a house from another culture.
(d) to a painting of a ship drawn from a shipwreck.
15. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) throw them overboard.
(b) carve animals.
(c) make stays for corsets.
(d) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
2. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
3. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
4. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
5. Who does Flask choose as his harpooner?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)