|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the sperm whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the duodecimo whale.
(d) the albino whale.
2. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the cowboy.
(b) the anchor.
(c) the door post.
(d) the monkey.
3. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(b) map making.
4. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
5. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
(a) the Humpback Inn.
(b) the Peter Coffin Inn.
(c) the Whale Bone Inn.
(d) the Spouter Inn.
6. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its intelligence and cunning.
(b) its memory.
(c) its ability to stay for days under water.
(d) its ability to destroy a large ship.
7. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(b) in a dream he has about a white whale.
(c) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(d) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
8. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(b) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
9. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(b) they are chased by pirates.
(c) they see a huge pod of whales.
(d) they meet another whaling ship.
10. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(b) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(c) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
(d) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
11. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) outfitters of the Pequod.
(b) builders of the Pequod.
(c) part owners of the Pequod.
(d) crewmen on the Pequod.
12. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(b) he danced on the table.
(c) he tried to kiss the bride.
(d) he wore a grass skirt.
13. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(b) an elephant of the ocean.
(c) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(d) an elongated fish with big eyes.
14. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) his long arms.
(b) a long stick.
(c) a small lasso.
(d) his harpoon.
15. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he adds comic relief to the story.
(b) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(c) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(d) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
2. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
3. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
4. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
5. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)