|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the heroism of whaling.
(b) the time away from land.
(c) the dangers of the sea.
(d) the marks of distinction.
2. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
3. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
4. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(b) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(c) an elongated fish with big eyes.
(d) an elephant of the ocean.
5. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(b) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(c) because it deals with whale stories.
(d) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
6. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
(a) they switch from harpoons to lances.
(b) they manhandle the harpoon line.
(c) they switch places from front to back.
(d) they join the rowers.
7. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) sharpening his hatchet.
(b) shaving with his harpoon.
(c) smoking his pipe.
(d) selling a shrunken head.
8. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
(a) to a painting of a ship drawn from a shipwreck.
(b) to a painting of a tiger seen in a cage.
(c) to a painting of a house from another culture.
(d) to a painting of the moon.
9. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Maple.
(b) Father Pine.
(c) Father Sycamore.
(d) Father Elm.
10. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(b) It is covered with sharkskin.
(c) It is double decked.
(d) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
11. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
12. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
(a) on their backs.
(b) in a taxi.
(c) in a wheelbarrow.
(d) on a hay cart.
13. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by winning an arm wrestling match.
(b) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(c) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(d) by climbing to the top of the mast.
14. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(b) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(c) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
15. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
(a) whether captains should be harpooners.
(b) whether captains know enough about whales.
(c) whether the captain should go on the boats.
(d) whether the captain should take the helm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
2. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
3. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
4. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
5. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)