|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its intelligence and cunning.
(b) its ability to stay for days under water.
(c) its memory.
(d) its ability to destroy a large ship.
2. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He uses history to honor whalers.
(b) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(c) He explains why they are socially low.
(d) He defends their crude manners.
3. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
(a) Queequeg's brother.
(b) Queequeg's father.
(d) Quequeg's uncle.
4. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
(a) he tells the story of the Nautilus.
(b) he tells the story of Sinbad and Ali.
(c) he tells the story of the Bounty.
(d) he tells the story of Steelkilt and Radney.
5. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) changing the direction of the ship.
(b) balancing the ship.
(c) keeping the sharks away.
(d) keeping the ropes from breaking.
6. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) contacts with ships.
(b) contacts with other whales.
(c) scrapes from coral reefs.
7. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) make out his will.
(b) pray every day more urgently.
(c) resign and jump ship.
(d) lead a mutiny.
8. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) his harpoon.
(b) a long stick.
(c) a small lasso.
(d) his long arms.
9. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(b) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(c) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(d) the boat takes on water and sinks.
10. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
11. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is covered with sharkskin.
(b) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
(c) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(d) It is double decked.
12. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
(a) newspaper reporter.
(b) bank clerk.
(c) merchant marine.
13. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
14. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(b) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(c) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(d) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
15. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a closet.
(b) a bench in the dining room.
(c) a bunk in a communal room.
(d) a shared room with a harpooner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
2. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
3. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
4. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
5. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)