|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) throw them overboard.
(b) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(c) make stays for corsets.
(d) carve animals.
2. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his first experience serving watch.
(b) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(c) his work in the galley.
(d) his time in the whaling boats.
3. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(b) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
(c) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(d) because it deals with whale stories.
4. What equipment left on board by Aunt Charity does Stubb throw overboard?
(a) a teapot.
(b) a barrel of lemonade.
(c) a caddy for ginger water.
(d) a still for making rum.
5. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
6. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
(a) to areas of the human soul.
(b) to men on a battlefield.
(c) to the harmony of mind and body.
(d) to political conflicts.
7. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
(a) the Whale Bone Inn.
(b) the Spouter Inn.
(c) the Peter Coffin Inn.
(d) the Humpback Inn.
8. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
(a) he descends to hold it secure.
(b) he carves the teeth from the whale.
(c) he takes the watch for more whales.
(d) he carries equipment to the other crew members.
9. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the door post.
(b) the anchor.
(c) the cowboy.
(d) the monkey.
10. What does Ishmael say is the saddest thing about any man, no matter how bad he is?
(a) a man who disobeys orders.
(b) a man who has lost his valor.
(c) a man who thinks he knows everything.
(d) a man who kills for sport.
11. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its ability to stay for days under water.
(b) its intelligence and cunning.
(c) its ability to destroy a large ship.
(d) its memory.
12. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) in a dream he has about a white whale.
(b) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(c) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(d) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
13. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the duodecimo whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the albino whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
14. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to become his friend.
(b) to keep his pistol loaded.
(c) to convert him to Christianity.
(d) to ask for another room.
15. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) standing on the deck.
(b) still at home in his bedroom.
(c) in his cabin.
(d) bringing up the rear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
2. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
3. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
4. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
5. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)