|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(b) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(c) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
2. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
3. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(a) play cards.
(c) sing and dance.
(d) tell sea tales.
4. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(b) that he is aware of them.
(c) that he is playing a game with them.
(d) that he knows why they are there.
5. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
6. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) pray every day more urgently.
(b) make out his will.
(c) lead a mutiny.
(d) resign and jump ship.
7. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(b) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
(c) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
(d) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
8. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(b) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(c) offering to work for less pay.
(d) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
9. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) There is live bait in the hold.
(b) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(c) There are stowaways on board.
(d) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
10. What does Ahab question the men about?
(a) their experience in whaling.
(b) their families back home.
(c) their procedure when they spot a whale.
(d) their willingness to sail for three years.
11. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he does not like Ahab.
(b) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(c) he never leaves his own ship.
(d) his crew is ill.
12. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(b) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(c) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(d) they are ghosts and not real men.
13. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
14. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a bunk in a communal room.
(b) a bench in the dining room.
(c) a shared room with a harpooner.
(d) a closet.
15. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) a small lasso.
(b) his long arms.
(c) his harpoon.
(d) a long stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
2. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
3. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
4. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
5. Which harpooner is chosen by Starbuck?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)