|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the heroism of whaling.
(b) the time away from land.
(c) the dangers of the sea.
(d) the marks of distinction.
2. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
(b) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
(c) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
(d) the whale looked like an ice berg.
3. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) selling a shrunken head.
(b) shaving with his harpoon.
(c) sharpening his hatchet.
(d) smoking his pipe.
4. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(b) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(c) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(d) the boat takes on water and sinks.
5. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(b) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(c) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(d) five men they had not seen before.
6. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he drives a harpoon through it.
(b) he watches it all night long.
(c) he curses it.
(d) he speaks to it.
7. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(a) map making.
8. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) the creation of sea creatures.
(b) Balam and the ass.
(c) Jonah and the whale.
(d) preparing for death.
9. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(b) he wore a grass skirt.
(c) he danced on the table.
(d) he tried to kiss the bride.
10. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
(a) to men on a battlefield.
(b) to political conflicts.
(c) to areas of the human soul.
(d) to the harmony of mind and body.
11. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He cannot sleep at night.
(b) He has lost his appetite.
(c) His hair has turned white.
(d) He finds no pleasure in life.
12. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
13. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Tit-bit.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Titanic.
(d) the Pequod.
14. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They do not know how to dress.
(b) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(c) They look dazed.
(d) They have on new Macintoshes.
15. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they become easily bored.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they ask too many questions.
(d) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
2. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
3. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
4. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
5. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)