|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his time in the whaling boats.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his work in the galley.
(d) his experience in swabbing the deck.
2. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
(b) Quequeg's uncle.
(c) Queequeg's father.
(d) Queequeg's brother.
3. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(b) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(c) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(d) he adds comic relief to the story.
4. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
5. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
(a) to a painting of a house from another culture.
(b) to a painting of the moon.
(c) to a painting of a tiger seen in a cage.
(d) to a painting of a ship drawn from a shipwreck.
6. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He has not yet seen the captain.
(b) He decides he has made a mistake.
(c) He never sees Queequeg again.
(d) He has started to have seasickness.
7. What is the rumor about other fish when they encounter the white whale?
(a) they rise to the surface.
(b) they group to attack the whale.
(c) they swim away in terror.
(d) they kill themselves.
8. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he is aware of them.
(b) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(c) that he knows why they are there.
(d) that he is playing a game with them.
9. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
(a) they are pictured in false colors.
(b) they are painted out of the water.
(c) they are too realistic.
(d) they are imaginary and not true to life.
10. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) smoking his pipe.
(b) sharpening his hatchet.
(c) selling a shrunken head.
(d) shaving with his harpoon.
11. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) balancing the ship.
(b) keeping the sharks away.
(c) keeping the ropes from breaking.
(d) changing the direction of the ship.
12. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) the creation of sea creatures.
(b) Balam and the ass.
(c) Jonah and the whale.
(d) preparing for death.
13. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(b) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(c) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(d) by defining the process of spotting whales.
14. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
(a) a closet.
(b) a shared room with a harpooner.
(c) a bench in the dining room.
(d) a bunk in a communal room.
15. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to keep his pistol loaded.
(b) to ask for another room.
(c) to convert him to Christianity.
(d) to become his friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
2. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
3. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
4. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
5. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)