|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(d) by winning an arm wrestling match.
2. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(a) tell sea tales.
(c) sing and dance.
(d) play cards.
3. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
4. What reason does Queequeg give for coming to America?
(a) He wanted to escape his homeland
(b) He needed money
(c) He wanted to experience freedom
(d) He wanted to visit a Christian country
5. Who does Starbuck relinquish command of the whale to?
6. What does Ishmael think the mat is like?
(c) A whale
7. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(b) he never leaves his own ship.
(c) his crew is ill.
(d) he does not like Ahab.
8. What is it customary for a fisherman to do before he sets sail?
(a) Find women
(c) Attend chapel
(d) Get drunk
9. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his time in the whaling boats.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his work in the galley.
(d) his experience in swabbing the deck.
10. What is the name of the man with whom Ishmael shares a bed?
11. What meal does Ishmael describe in Chapter 5?
12. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
13. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) contacts with other whales.
(b) scrapes from coral reefs.
(d) contacts with ships.
14. What is Ahab's prosthesis made from?
(b) The jaw bone of a whale
(c) The jaw bone of a shark
(d) Elephant tusks
15. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(b) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
(c) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
(d) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael describe the whales he sees in the ocean?
2. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
3. Who does Flask choose as his harpooner?
4. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)