|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a Greenland whale.
(b) a duodecimo whale.
(c) an octavo whale.
(d) a folio whale.
2. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) carve animals.
(b) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(c) make stays for corsets.
(d) throw them overboard.
3. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) part owners of the Pequod.
(b) crewmen on the Pequod.
(c) builders of the Pequod.
(d) outfitters of the Pequod.
4. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(a) sing and dance.
(b) play cards.
(d) tell sea tales.
5. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(b) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
6. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he speaks to it.
(b) he curses it.
(c) he drives a harpoon through it.
(d) he watches it all night long.
7. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the harpooner.
(b) the captain.
(c) the oarsman.
(d) the first mate.
8. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they are flogged.
(b) they are hanged.
(c) they walk the plank.
(d) they receive pardons.
9. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to keep his pistol loaded.
(b) to convert him to Christianity.
(c) to become his friend.
(d) to ask for another room.
10. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
(a) all the crew thinks he has lost his mind.
(b) all the crew are fearful of him.
(c) exactly where all the holes are made for his peg leg.
(d) all eyes look to see lest he fall or hold onto anything to steady himself.
11. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) His hair has turned white.
(b) He has lost his appetite.
(c) He finds no pleasure in life.
(d) He cannot sleep at night.
12. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Pine.
(b) Father Maple.
(c) Father Elm.
(d) Father Sycamore.
13. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they are chased by pirates.
(b) they meet another whaling ship.
(c) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(d) they see a huge pod of whales.
14. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(b) map making.
15. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
(a) to the harmony of mind and body.
(b) to political conflicts.
(c) to men on a battlefield.
(d) to areas of the human soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
2. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
3. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
4. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
5. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)