Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) contacts with ships.
(c) scrapes from coral reefs.
(d) contacts with other whales.
2. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They do not know how to dress.
(b) They look dazed.
(c) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(d) They have on new Macintoshes.
3. What does Charity bring for the crew of the ship?
(a) Paper and pens
(b) A Bible
(c) A guitar
4. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are ghosts and not real men.
(b) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(c) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(d) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
5. What do Queequeg and Ishmael do before they sleep?
(c) Slap each other
6. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they walk the plank.
(b) they are flogged.
(c) they receive pardons.
(d) they are hanged.
7. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
(a) He becomes fearful and mutinous.
(b) He changes into a madman.
(c) He loses all his moral values and tries to kill Ahab.
(d) He remains the valiant and moral person he first appears to be.
8. Why do people not comprehend the dangers of whale hunting?
(a) Deaths are not well publicized
(b) Whales are seen as gentle creatures
(c) Whale hunting is romanticized
(d) Few people die
9. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
(a) they switch from harpoons to lances.
(b) they switch places from front to back.
(c) they join the rowers.
(d) they manhandle the harpoon line.
10. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he is playing a game with them.
(b) that he knows why they are there.
(c) that he is aware of them.
(d) that he will have them thrown overboard.
11. What Biblical character does Mapple deliver a sermon about?
(a) The Good Samaritan
12. What does Ishmael decide to prepare in this chapter?
(b) His will
(c) A boat home
(d) His coffin
13. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(b) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(c) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
(d) because it deals with whale stories.
14. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) an octavo whale.
(b) a duodecimo whale.
(c) a Greenland whale.
(d) a folio whale.
15. What white sea creature does the crew see?
(a) A great squid
(b) A jelly fish
(c) A white whale
(d) An octopus
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
2. What kind of whale eats brit?
3. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
4. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
5. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)