|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab ask the captain of the Jeroboam about?
(b) Moby Dick
(c) His profits
(d) His whaling techniques
2. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the anchor.
(b) the monkey.
(c) the cowboy.
(d) the door post.
3. What does Charity bring for the crew of the ship?
(b) A guitar
(c) Paper and pens
(d) A Bible
4. What does Ishmael say the whales look like as he watches them from above?
(c) Wet suits
5. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his first experience serving watch.
(b) his work in the galley.
(c) his time in the whaling boats.
(d) his experience in swabbing the deck.
6. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) crawls under the bed.
(b) jumps up on top of the bed.
(c) turns around three times.
(d) sits on the floor.
7. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
(a) to have him check the Pequod's charts.
(b) to give him medical supplies.
(c) to get news of Moby Dick.
(d) to have dinner with him.
8. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(b) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(c) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(d) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
9. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) pray every day more urgently.
(b) lead a mutiny.
(c) make out his will.
(d) resign and jump ship.
10. What does Queequeg use to eat his breakfast?
(a) His harpoon
(b) His fingers
(c) A knife and fork
(d) His tomahawk
11. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(b) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(c) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(d) by winning an arm wrestling match.
12. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(a) map making.
13. What does Ishmael decide to prepare in this chapter?
(a) His will
(c) His coffin
(d) A boat home
14. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he drives a harpoon through it.
(b) he curses it.
(c) he speaks to it.
(d) he watches it all night long.
15. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the duodecimo whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does Ahab not eat dinner with?
2. Where is Pip from?
3. What is the name of the ship they are about to set sail on?
4. What does Queequg's signature look like?
5. What cape does the ship enter in Chapter 51?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)