|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
(a) they are pictured in false colors.
(b) they are too realistic.
(c) they are painted out of the water.
(d) they are imaginary and not true to life.
2. What unusual thing does Queequeg do while putting on his boots?
(a) turns around three times.
(b) sits on the floor.
(c) crawls under the bed.
(d) jumps up on top of the bed.
3. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(b) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(c) go wake up Captain Ahab.
(d) return to shore in a small boat.
4. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it deals with whale stories.
(b) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(c) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(d) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
5. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He has lost his appetite.
(b) He finds no pleasure in life.
(c) His hair has turned white.
(d) He cannot sleep at night.
6. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) outfitters of the Pequod.
(b) part owners of the Pequod.
(c) builders of the Pequod.
(d) crewmen on the Pequod.
7. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He has started to have seasickness.
(b) He decides he has made a mistake.
(c) He has not yet seen the captain.
(d) He never sees Queequeg again.
8. What happens to Radney during a whale chase?
(a) he is eaten by the whale.
(b) he is thrown overboard.
(c) he is murdered by Steelkilt.
(d) he is promoted to harpooner.
9. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he danced on the table.
(b) he wore a grass skirt.
(c) he tried to kiss the bride.
(d) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
10. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
(a) he tells the story of Sinbad and Ali.
(b) he tells the story of the Nautilus.
(c) he tells the story of Steelkilt and Radney.
(d) he tells the story of the Bounty.
11. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) keeping the ropes from breaking.
(b) keeping the sharks away.
(c) changing the direction of the ship.
(d) balancing the ship.
12. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(b) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(c) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
13. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(b) There is live bait in the hold.
(c) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(d) There are stowaways on board.
14. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Tit-bit.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Titanic.
(d) the Pequod.
15. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he knows why they are there.
(b) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(c) that he is playing a game with them.
(d) that he is aware of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
2. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
3. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
4. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
5. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)