|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he adds comic relief to the story.
(b) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(c) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(d) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
2. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they are flogged.
(b) they receive pardons.
(c) they walk the plank.
(d) they are hanged.
3. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(b) five men they had not seen before.
(c) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(d) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
4. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
(a) He decides he has made a mistake.
(b) He never sees Queequeg again.
(c) He has started to have seasickness.
(d) He has not yet seen the captain.
5. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(b) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(c) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
6. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
(b) bank clerk.
(c) merchant marine.
(d) newspaper reporter.
7. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
8. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) Jonah and the whale.
(b) the creation of sea creatures.
(c) preparing for death.
(d) Balam and the ass.
9. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the oarsman.
(b) the harpooner.
(c) the first mate.
(d) the captain.
10. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
(b) the way they head south in the winter.
(c) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
(d) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
11. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
(a) the Titanic.
(b) the Devil-dam.
(c) the Pequod.
(d) the Tit-bit.
12. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
(a) he tells the story of the Nautilus.
(b) he tells the story of Sinbad and Ali.
(c) he tells the story of Steelkilt and Radney.
(d) he tells the story of the Bounty.
13. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(b) It is double decked.
(c) It is covered with sharkskin.
(d) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
14. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) impetuousness and anger.
(b) common sense and intelligence.
(c) ignorance and brashness.
(d) elegance and sophistication.
15. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) make out his will.
(b) lead a mutiny.
(c) pray every day more urgently.
(d) resign and jump ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the High Chief or king of the island of Kokovoko?
2. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
3. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
4. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
5. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)