|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
(a) to keep his pistol loaded.
(b) to become his friend.
(c) to convert him to Christianity.
(d) to ask for another room.
2. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) builders of the Pequod.
(b) crewmen on the Pequod.
(c) part owners of the Pequod.
(d) outfitters of the Pequod.
3. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
(a) to have dinner with him.
(b) to have him check the Pequod's charts.
(c) to give him medical supplies.
(d) to get news of Moby Dick.
4. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
(a) they switch places from front to back.
(b) they manhandle the harpoon line.
(c) they switch from harpoons to lances.
(d) they join the rowers.
5. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
(b) newspaper reporter.
(c) merchant marine.
(d) bank clerk.
6. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) the creation of sea creatures.
(b) preparing for death.
(c) Balam and the ass.
(d) Jonah and the whale.
7. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) keeping the sharks away.
(b) balancing the ship.
(c) changing the direction of the ship.
(d) keeping the ropes from breaking.
8. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they receive pardons.
(b) they are hanged.
(c) they walk the plank.
(d) they are flogged.
9. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(b) He explains why they are socially low.
(c) He uses history to honor whalers.
(d) He defends their crude manners.
10. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(b) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
(c) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(d) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
11. Although the other four strange men blend in with the crew, what does Ishmael observe about Fedallah?
(a) his reasons for being on the voyage remained a mystery.
(b) he seems to like only Queequeg.
(c) he stays apart because only Ahab understands his language.
(d) his ability as harpooner is questionable.
12. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
(a) he tells the story of the Nautilus.
(b) he tells the story of Steelkilt and Radney.
(c) he tells the story of Sinbad and Ali.
(d) he tells the story of the Bounty.
13. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is double decked.
(b) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
(c) It is covered with sharkskin.
(d) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
14. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(b) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
(c) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(d) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
15. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(b) They look dazed.
(c) They have on new Macintoshes.
(d) They do not know how to dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
2. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
3. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
4. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
5. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)