|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) return to shore in a small boat.
(b) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(c) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(d) go wake up Captain Ahab.
2. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
(a) his harpoon.
(b) a small lasso.
(c) a long stick.
(d) his long arms.
3. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
4. What is Ahab aware of while he stands on the deck of the Pequod?
(a) all the crew are fearful of him.
(b) all eyes look to see lest he fall or hold onto anything to steady himself.
(c) all the crew thinks he has lost his mind.
(d) exactly where all the holes are made for his peg leg.
5. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(b) in a dream he has about a white whale.
(c) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(d) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
6. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(b) offering to work for less pay.
(c) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(d) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
7. Although the other four strange men blend in with the crew, what does Ishmael observe about Fedallah?
(a) his reasons for being on the voyage remained a mystery.
(b) he stays apart because only Ahab understands his language.
(c) his ability as harpooner is questionable.
(d) he seems to like only Queequeg.
8. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
(b) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
(c) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
(d) the whale looked like an ice berg.
9. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
10. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) Balam and the ass.
(b) the creation of sea creatures.
(c) preparing for death.
(d) Jonah and the whale.
11. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
(a) cut a steak from the tail of the whale.
(b) cut out a tooth from the whale.
(c) take over securing the whale to the ship.
(d) carve his name on the whale's back.
12. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the first mate.
(b) the harpooner.
(c) the oarsman.
(d) the captain.
13. What happens to the two men who turn on Steelkilt and come out of the locked scuttle?
(a) they receive pardons.
(b) they walk the plank.
(c) they are flogged.
(d) they are hanged.
14. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he does not like Ahab.
(b) his crew is ill.
(c) he never leaves his own ship.
(d) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
15. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
(a) something keeps bumping the Pequod.
(b) a whale spout is seen at night every so often.
(c) a whale spout is seen only once every afternoon.
(d) no large fish are spotted near the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
2. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
3. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
4. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
5. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)