|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) make stays for corsets.
(b) throw them overboard.
(c) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(d) carve animals.
2. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he never leaves his own ship.
(b) his crew is ill.
(c) he does not like Ahab.
(d) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
3. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
(a) by not thinking about it.
(b) with his sense of humor.
(c) by writing in a diary.
(d) with a great deal of tension.
4. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
(b) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
(c) the way they head south in the winter.
(d) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
5. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
6. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) five men they had not seen before.
(b) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(c) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(d) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
7. What does Ishmael say is the saddest thing about any man, no matter how bad he is?
(a) a man who thinks he knows everything.
(b) a man who disobeys orders.
(c) a man who has lost his valor.
(d) a man who kills for sport.
8. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by winning an arm wrestling match.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(d) by catching a large fish for dinner.
9. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(b) they meet another whaling ship.
(c) they see a huge pod of whales.
(d) they are chased by pirates.
10. What is the theme of MOBY DICK?
11. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the cowboy.
(b) the anchor.
(c) the monkey.
(d) the door post.
12. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
(a) He finds no pleasure in life.
(b) His hair has turned white.
(c) He has lost his appetite.
(d) He cannot sleep at night.
13. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he drives a harpoon through it.
(b) he curses it.
(c) he speaks to it.
(d) he watches it all night long.
14. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its ability to destroy a large ship.
(b) its intelligence and cunning.
(c) its memory.
(d) its ability to stay for days under water.
15. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(b) There is live bait in the hold.
(c) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(d) There are stowaways on board.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
2. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
3. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
4. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
5. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)