|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cape does the ship enter in Chapter 51?
(a) The Cape of Good Hope
(b) The Cape of Paradise
(c) Cape Fear
(d) The Cape of God Will
2. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(b) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(c) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(d) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
3. What is the name of the ship's third mate?
4. What is the name of the chaplain?
(a) Father Mapple
(b) Father Jonah
(c) Father Jack
(d) Father Ted
5. What kind of whale is the largest of the whales?
(a) A blue whale
(b) A hunchback whale
(c) A greenland whale
(d) A sperm whale
6. What does Ishmael describe between Chapters 67 and 70?
(a) Whale dishes
(b) The cutting of the blubber
(c) The extraction of oil from the whale
(d) His family
7. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) in his cabin.
(b) standing on the deck.
(c) still at home in his bedroom.
(d) bringing up the rear.
8. What do Queequeg and Ishmael do before they sleep?
(a) Slap each other
9. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(b) they meet another whaling ship.
(c) they are chased by pirates.
(d) they see a huge pod of whales.
10. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
11. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
(a) He remains the valiant and moral person he first appears to be.
(b) He changes into a madman.
(c) He becomes fearful and mutinous.
(d) He loses all his moral values and tries to kill Ahab.
12. What meal does Ishmael describe in Chapter 5?
13. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) selling a shrunken head.
(b) sharpening his hatchet.
(c) smoking his pipe.
(d) shaving with his harpoon.
14. What equipment left on board by Aunt Charity does Stubb throw overboard?
(a) a barrel of lemonade.
(b) a still for making rum.
(c) a caddy for ginger water.
(d) a teapot.
15. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the skin.
(b) the head and tail.
(c) the blubber.
(d) the ivory teeth and bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
2. What is the rumor about other fish when they encounter the white whale?
3. Why does the rumor start that Moby Dick is stalking the Pequod?
4. What white sea creature does the crew see?
5. What is the name of the ship in Ishmael's story?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)