|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
(a) he wants Moby Dick to spot him easily.
(b) he hopes Moby Dick can smell him and attack the ship.
(c) he doubts if the crew would tell him if they spotted Moby Dick.
(d) he wants to be the first one to see the huge whale.
2. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
(b) the collected myths about whales.
(c) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(d) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
3. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they heard it was caught and killed.
(b) they do not believe it exists.
(c) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(d) they spotted it yesterday.
4. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(b) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(c) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(d) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
5. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
(a) on their backs.
(b) in a taxi.
(c) on a hay cart.
(d) in a wheelbarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
2. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
3. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
4. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
5. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)