|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
(b) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(c) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(d) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
2. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
(a) a harpoon.
(b) a coffin.
(c) a life buoy.
(d) an American flag.
3. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
(b) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
(c) they can neither smell nor communicate.
(d) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
4. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he is playing a game with them.
(b) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(c) that he knows why they are there.
(d) that he is aware of them.
5. What do Ishmael and Stubb discuss about captains and whaling?
(a) whether the captain should go on the boats.
(b) whether captains should be harpooners.
(c) whether the captain should take the helm.
(d) whether captains know enough about whales.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the captain of The Rachel appealing for help from the Pequod?
2. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
3. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
4. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
5. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)