|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he does not like Ahab.
(b) he never leaves his own ship.
(c) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(d) his crew is ill.
2. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
(a) smoking his pipe.
(b) shaving with his harpoon.
(c) selling a shrunken head.
(d) sharpening his hatchet.
3. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) make stays for corsets.
(b) carve animals.
(c) throw them overboard.
(d) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
4. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) five men they had not seen before.
(b) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(c) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(d) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
5. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
(a) the whale is too large for one boat to haul.
(b) the ship cannot handle more than three whales at a time.
(c) the whale near Ahab is too far to reach the ship by nightfall.
(d) Ahab is too tired to return that evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
2. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
3. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
4. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
5. What does Ahab finally admit?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)