|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
(a) the whale near Ahab is too far to reach the ship by nightfall.
(b) Ahab is too tired to return that evening.
(c) the whale is too large for one boat to haul.
(d) the ship cannot handle more than three whales at a time.
2. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
(a) he shoves Ahab overboard.
(b) he walks sadly away.
(c) he hopes for the best.
(d) he continues to state his case.
3. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He explains why they are socially low.
(b) He defends their crude manners.
(c) He uses history to honor whalers.
(d) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
4. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
(a) reinforce the sides of the Pequod.
(b) forge an iron harpoon only for Moby Dick.
(c) make a cast iron coffin for him if Moby Dick is not found.
(d) make more lances to use on Moby Dick.
5. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
(b) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(c) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
(d) Ahab throws it overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
2. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
3. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
4. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
5. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)