|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
(a) they are overloaded with oil.
(b) Moby dick has been killed.
(c) they have seen Moby Dick.
(d) they are fleeing pirates.
2. What is the rumor about other fish when they encounter the white whale?
(a) they kill themselves.
(b) they rise to the surface.
(c) they swim away in terror.
(d) they group to attack the whale.
3. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he starts to cry.
(b) he jumps into the ocean.
(c) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
(d) he hits the whale with his oar.
4. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the skin.
(b) the blubber.
(c) the ivory teeth and bones.
(d) the head and tail.
5. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(d) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
2. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
3. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
4. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
5. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)