|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they can neither smell nor communicate.
(b) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
(c) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
(d) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
2. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(b) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(c) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(d) offering to work for less pay.
3. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) carve animals.
(b) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(c) throw them overboard.
(d) make stays for corsets.
4. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
(a) directly between the eyes.
(b) near the front of the head.
(c) far back from the forehead.
(d) in its hump.
5. What is the change in Stubb?
(a) he no longer jokes and laughs.
(b) he becomes a cheerleader for the crew.
(c) he becomes more of a clown.
(d) he walks with a faster pace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
2. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
3. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
4. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
5. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)