|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 133.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they heard it was caught and killed.
(c) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(d) they do not believe it exists.
2. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
(a) it glows in the dark.
(b) it catches on fire.
(c) it loses all its sails.
(d) it breaks in two.
3. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) the remains of a man.
(b) timbers from a whaling boat.
(c) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(d) an unborn whale.
4. How does Stubb regain a dead whale from a French whaling boat?
(a) by playing poker.
(b) by stealing the dead whale at night.
(c) by using humor and intelligence.
(d) by threatening to blow up their boat.
5. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) something to decorate his pipe.
(b) the price of a bride.
(c) a pair of gold earrings.
(d) nothing of any value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
2. What does Ishmael recount about the Samuel Enderby that occurs many years later?
3. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
4. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
5. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)