|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 99 | Chapters 100-101.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
(b) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
(c) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
(d) they can neither smell nor communicate.
2. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(b) he does not like Ahab.
(c) his crew is ill.
(d) he never leaves his own ship.
3. What equipment does Ishmael discuss including their descriptions and uses?
4. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(b) It is covered with sharkskin.
(c) It is double decked.
(d) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
5. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(b) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
2. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
3. What does Ishmael recount about the Samuel Enderby that occurs many years later?
4. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
5. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)