|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 99 | Chapters 100-101.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
(a) throw them overboard.
(b) make ivory prostheses for men like Ahab.
(c) make stays for corsets.
(d) carve animals.
2. Although the other four strange men blend in with the crew, what does Ishmael observe about Fedallah?
(a) he stays apart because only Ahab understands his language.
(b) his ability as harpooner is questionable.
(c) he seems to like only Queequeg.
(d) his reasons for being on the voyage remained a mystery.
3. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
(a) to attract other whales to the area.
(b) to draw the sharks away from the sperm whale.
(c) to keep the ship from capsizing.
(d) to appease the sea gods.
4. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He defends their crude manners.
(b) He explains why they are socially low.
(c) He uses history to honor whalers.
(d) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
5. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) make out his will.
(b) lead a mutiny.
(c) resign and jump ship.
(d) pray every day more urgently.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
2. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
3. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
4. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
5. What reaction do both Ahab and Starbuck have to the Spanish doubloon still nailed to the mast?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)