|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 99 | Chapters 100-101.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
(a) by catching a large fish for dinner.
(b) by climbing to the top of the mast.
(c) by saving a man who fell overboard.
(d) by winning an arm wrestling match.
2. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(b) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(c) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
(d) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
3. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
(a) near Jakarta.
(b) near Japan.
(c) near Nantucket.
(d) near Capetown.
4. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) Balam and the ass.
(b) Jonah and the whale.
(c) the creation of sea creatures.
(d) preparing for death.
5. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(b) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(c) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(d) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
2. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
3. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
4. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
5. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)