|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arthur anxious to receive as a part of the marriage?
2. Where is the wedding between Gwenhwyfar and Arthur?
3. To what does Igraine finally succumb?
4. Who is expected to die soon, necessitating the need for a new king?
5. Who is the harp player that soothes Morgaine's anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Viviane make Morgaine wait to see her?
2. What does Igraine do that causes her to become quite ill?
3. Who is the son that Morgaine gives birth to that Morgause whisks away to a wet nurse?
4. Who goes to the castle to visit Igraine as she is dying?
5. To where does Arthur order all the women and children be sent to as the battles are increasing?
6. What does Morgaine suspect when the moon has gone through another cycle and she did not break her moon fast?
7. VIviane asks Raven to put aside her vow of silence and become the Lady of the Lake. What is Raven's response?
8. Why is Gorlois so enraged with Igraine?
9. Who does Viviane guess is behind the many close calls Arthur has been having?
10. How is it that the court gets fever in the spring, but no one dies from this affliction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is rampant in this story. Cite three to five examples of betrayal in this story and explain why each was either a good thing or a bad thing in relation to the progress of the story. Can betrayal ever be a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Love is another long running theme in this novel, whether it's lust or love, that might be harder to say. The main love story that is discussed is the never-ending love between Lancelet and Gwenhwyfar. Do you think this is true love? Why or why not? Why do you feel this relationship exists in the story? What is its purpose? What do you think would have happened if they had gotten together in the first place?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Viviane is an interesting one. Though she seems to have the best interests of the characters at heart; at other times, she seems calculating and power hungry. Give examples of ways that Viviane actually hurts her mission to keep the Goddess alive in people's hearts. What do you think she could have done differently?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)