|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Viviane and the Merline tell Igraine she must do?
2. What does Gwenhwyfar create for Arthur to carry into battle?
3. What does Gwenhwyfar not want in her court that would occur if Morgaine and Lancelet were to marry?
4. What is Gwydion's new name?
5. Who does Gwenhwyfar wish would come back to court so as to create a fertility charm for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that the court gets fever in the spring, but no one dies from this affliction?
2. When Gwenhwyfar makes a banner for Arthur to carry in battle, what is his response?
3. When Arthur suggests that Morgaine get married to Lancelet, who protests this idea?
4. Who goes to the castle to visit Igraine as she is dying?
5. During the crowning ceremony, to whom does Arthur bow?
6. Who lets Viviane know that Uther Pendragon is dying from a fatal wound in battle?
7. VIviane asks Raven to put aside her vow of silence and become the Lady of the Lake. What is Raven's response?
8. Who helps Gwenhwyfar feel more relaxed as she and Igraine travel?
9. Viviane is coming to the Pentecost celebration to remind Arthur of what?
10. What does Igraine do that causes her to become quite ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sight is a tool that the women use often in the story. Why do you feel that this was mainly a gift with which women were blessed? What makes women ideal candidates for this quality? Do men have qualities that might stand in the way of the Sight in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Love is another long running theme in this novel, whether it's lust or love, that might be harder to say. The main love story that is discussed is the never-ending love between Lancelet and Gwenhwyfar. Do you think this is true love? Why or why not? Why do you feel this relationship exists in the story? What is its purpose? What do you think would have happened if they had gotten together in the first place?
Essay Topic 3
Magic is used constantly in the story - sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. Do you feel this story could have been told without the magical elements? Why or why not? Give three examples of scenes in which magic was used, but didn't need to be - in your opinion.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)