|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Morgaine take mind-altering substances?
2. How does Igraine know that Gorlois is actually Uther?
3. To whom does Arthur bow during his crowning ceremony - Bishop of Glastonbury and/or the Merlin of Avalon?
4. Where does Igraine travel to with Gorlois?
5. Who helps to settle down Gwenhwyfar as she is traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uther stare at that beckons Igraine and he to meet again and again?
2. What is the secret that Morgaine lets slip to Gwenhwyfar?
3. Who is the son that Morgaine gives birth to that Morgause whisks away to a wet nurse?
4. What does Morgaine suspect when the moon has gone through another cycle and she did not break her moon fast?
5. How is it that the court gets fever in the spring, but no one dies from this affliction?
6. Who does Viviane guess is behind the many close calls Arthur has been having?
7. How long does Viviane make Morgaine wait to see her?
8. Why is Gorlois so enraged with Igraine?
9. To where does Arthur order all the women and children be sent to as the battles are increasing?
10. Viviane is coming to the Pentecost celebration to remind Arthur of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magic is used constantly in the story - sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. Do you feel this story could have been told without the magical elements? Why or why not? Give three examples of scenes in which magic was used, but didn't need to be - in your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Love is another long running theme in this novel, whether it's lust or love, that might be harder to say. The main love story that is discussed is the never-ending love between Lancelet and Gwenhwyfar. Do you think this is true love? Why or why not? Why do you feel this relationship exists in the story? What is its purpose? What do you think would have happened if they had gotten together in the first place?
Essay Topic 3
The Sight seems to take a lot out of the people who use it for a long time. Do you think there is any way to avoid the exhaustion and sickness that comes with using this power? Why or why not? Why would something so helpful cause so much pain? Or is the action that is being performed to blame for the outcome?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)