|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Arthur upset with Gwenhwyfar?
2. What is Lancelet's and Morgaine's familial relationship?
3. Where is Arthur's court now located, after having been moved on Pentecost?
4. Who comes to relieve Lancelet who must go to Arthur for preparation?
5. How does Igraine know that Gorlois is actually Uther?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Igraine lived since the death of Uther?
2. Who does Igraine have a bad feeling about, as they are about to be married?
3. When is Uther supposed to arrive to find Igraine?
4. Who fills the captive Igraine in on the matters of the world when she is taken back to Tintagel by Gorlois?
5. Viviane is coming to the Pentecost celebration to remind Arthur of what?
6. To where does Arthur order all the women and children be sent to as the battles are increasing?
7. What does Arthur carry into battle that ensures his wounds do not bleed heavily?
8. To where does Morgaine go in order to attend the ceremony in which she is to give up her maidenhead?
9. What does Morgaine suspect when the moon has gone through another cycle and she did not break her moon fast?
10. Who sits on the garden wall, terrified to be outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a prophecy is something that causes characters in this book to take actions they might not have taken otherwise. What do you feel is the importance of prophecy? Is there a place for prophecy in today's times? Why or why not? What do you think would have happened if there was no prophecy in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Avalon is a mysterious place that seems to hold as many secrets as it creates. Why do you feel Avalon is shown to be a physical place in this story? Could Avalon have been an idea and still have been effective to the story? Why or why not? Do you think Avalon was a real place to the characters in the story? Why or why not? The magical qualities sometimes make this hard to determine.
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Excalibur is thrown into the lake so that no one else will use it. Why do you think this is done? What harm has Excalibur caused its users? Should Excalibur have been made in the first place? Why or why not?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)