|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dolan, what is the Captain's response to Roberts' transfer assignment?
2. What song plays at the end of the radio announcer's speech about the end of the war in Europe?
3. What does Roberts suggest Pulver get so that he can speak with Doc alone?
4. What does Roberts tell Pulver as he exits the ship?
5. From what unusual item does the crew pour alcohol when they drink a toast to Roberts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Why is liberty so important to the men on the cargo ship? What importance or role does liberty play in the unfolding of the story "Mister Roberts?" Would this story have been the same if the conflict surrounding the men's liberty was removed?
Essay Topic 3
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)