|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does the Captain give to Roberts in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, where does the reader learn Roberts has been spending all his time?
3. According to Dolan, why has Roberts allowed the Captain to speak to him the way he does in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. According to the Shore Patrolman, how is the Colonel viewed on the island?
5. Doc and what other sailor do not believe that Roberts is deliberately looking for a promotion on the cargo ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing and how is it used in literature? What is one example of foreshadowing used in "Mister Roberts?" Do you find foreshadowing as a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define a major character and a minor character. Provide at least one example of each from the play, "Mister Roberts." State the importance of minor characters in a piece of literature.
Essay Topic 3
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)