|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
2. What type of fruit is in the crates Roberts gives to the officer?
3. What warning phrase do the sailors shout when spying on the women showering?
4. What position does Roberts tell Miss Girard he holds on the ship?
5. What does Miss Girard catch the sailors on the ship doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Pulver in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
4. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
5. What causes Miss Girard to look through one of the spyglasses while she is on the ship?
6. How do the men find out about Roberts' agreement with the Captain, and how does their attitude change toward him?
7. Dowdy and Roberts discuss what regarding the nearby island in the first scene of the play?
8. What is Roberts' opinion of Pulver in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Where is "Mister Roberts" set, and whose story does it tell?
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Doc learn about Roberts and his transfer requests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly describe the structure of a play. Compare and contrast the structure of a play with the structure of a novel. What structure do you feel is most appropriate for "Mister Roberts?"
Essay Topic 3
What is a hero and where did the hero story originate? In this play, who can be considered a hero, and why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)