|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Roberts not say about Pulver?
2. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
3. Who lies about seeing women in the spyglass?
4. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
5. At what port are the sailors going to have liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does the Captain deliver over the loudspeaker in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. What does the reader learn about Pulver in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. How does the crew seem to feel about Roberts at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What happens in Act 2, Scene 4, when the Captain gets angry?
5. What does the Captain say to Roberts about his transfer requests in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What is Pulver's interaction with the Captain like in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What information does the Military Police share about the dance that was crashed by the sailors?
8. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
9. How do Roberts and the men respond to the news that the war is over in Europe?
10. Into what other trouble, besides the dance, have the sailors gotten themselves while on liberty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define characterization and name the two types of characterization that has been studied. Provide an example of characterization from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)