|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Roberts and the Captain hear coming from the port while they are arguing about liberty?
2. What position does Roberts tell Miss Girard he holds on the ship?
3. What position on the ship does Pulver hold?
4. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
5. How does the Captain punish Roberts when he becomes angry at Roberts for disobeying him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What is Roberts' opinion of Pulver in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What news does Roberts share with the men at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
4. How would you describe the Captain's character traits in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does the Captain react when he sees the men with their shirts off while on deck?
6. How do Doc and Pulver feel about Roberts' change in attitude?
7. How do the men find out about Roberts' agreement with the Captain, and how does their attitude change toward him?
8. What information does the Military Police share about the dance that was crashed by the sailors?
9. What affect does Roberts feel liberty has had on the men?
10. What is Pulver's excuse for not having lunch with the Captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
Essay Topic 2
Define narrative mode. What are three of the five narrative modes that have been studied, and which narrative mode is used in "Mister Roberts?"
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action and falling action. These two devices are part of what? Cite examples from the play.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)