|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
2. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' locker?
3. What drink do Miss Girard and Roberts joke is their favorite?
4. Which type of alcohol does Miss Girard love?
5. What do Roberts and the Captain hear coming from the port while they are arguing about liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Roberts' transfer and travel plans at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. How do Doc and Roberts help Pulver out in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Where is "Mister Roberts" set, and whose story does it tell?
4. What information does Furnell's letter share?
5. What excuse does the Captain give Roberts for canceling liberty?
6. To what realization do Doc and Roberts come regarding Roberts and the crew in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. Into what other trouble, besides the dance, have the sailors gotten themselves while on liberty?
8. What kind of excitement and trouble do the spyglasses cause in the beginning of the play?
9. About what do Dolan and Pulver speak when Dolan comes to drop off Roberts' letter?
10. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between theme and mood in a piece of literature? Provide one example of each from the play "Mister Roberts."
Essay Topic 2
Define narrative mode. What are three of the five narrative modes that have been studied, and which narrative mode is used in "Mister Roberts?"
Essay Topic 3
Why is liberty so important to the men on the cargo ship? What importance or role does liberty play in the unfolding of the story "Mister Roberts?" Would this story have been the same if the conflict surrounding the men's liberty was removed?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)