|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Roberts not say about Pulver?
2. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
3. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
4. Where does Pulver hide the letter Dolan has typed for Roberts?
5. What does the Captain assume about Pulver since he never sees Pulver around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response when the crew hears the Captain is still asleep and has not issued the orders for liberty to start?
2. What is Roberts' opinion of Pulver in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What message does the Captain deliver over the loudspeaker in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What leads to so many injured sailors at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What reason is provided for why Roberts has let the Captain speak to him the way he has, and who defends Roberts?
7. What does Roberts mention about Pulver's pranks in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. How do Roberts' and Doc's feelings differ regarding Roberts' making another attempt at a transfer request.
9. What is Pulver's excuse for not having lunch with the Captain?
10. What information does the Military Police share about the dance that was crashed by the sailors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony as a literary term. What is an example of irony used in "Mister Roberts?"
Essay Topic 2
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Define narrative mode. What are three of the five narrative modes that have been studied, and which narrative mode is used in "Mister Roberts?"
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)