Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lies about seeing women in the spyglass?
2. What drink do Miss Girard and Roberts joke is their favorite?
3. Why is the Captain so angry with Roberts when he comes out on deck during the supply transfer?
4. How does Roberts seem to view the cargo ship's role in the war compared with a battleship's role in the war?
5. Where does Pulver hide the letter Dolan has typed for Roberts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the Captain's character traits in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
3. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is Pulver's excuse for not having lunch with the Captain?
5. How does Miss Girard react when she learns that the men can see the nurses through their spyglass?
6. Where is "Mister Roberts" set, and whose story does it tell?
7. How do Doc and Pulver feel about Roberts' change in attitude?
8. What information does Furnell's letter share?
9. What happens when Pulver goes to test his firecracker?
10. How do Roberts and the men respond to the news that the war is over in Europe?
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism as a literary term. What is the main symbol in the play and what does it represent? Are there any other examples of symbolism that can be found in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
Essay Topic 3
Define a major character and a minor character. Provide at least one example of each from the play, "Mister Roberts." State the importance of minor characters in a piece of literature.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)