|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roberts pick up at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
3. Which of the following does Roberts not say about Pulver?
4. Why is the Captain so angry with Roberts when he comes out on deck during the supply transfer?
5. What does Roberts tell Doc he spots while on watch the previous night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What reasons does Roberts give for putting Dolan on report?
3. What is Pulver's interaction with the Captain like in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. About what does Dowdy complain to Pulver, and how does Pulver respond in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
5. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
6. What does the crew present to Roberts right before he leaves?
7. What is Roberts' opinion of Pulver in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What does the reader learn about Roberts' transfer and travel plans at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
9. What causes Miss Girard to look through one of the spyglasses while she is on the ship?
10. What reason is provided for why Roberts has let the Captain speak to him the way he has, and who defends Roberts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define characterization and name the two types of characterization that has been studied. Provide an example of characterization from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is foreshadowing and how is it used in literature? What is one example of foreshadowing used in "Mister Roberts?" Do you find foreshadowing as a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Briefly describe the structure of a play. Compare and contrast the structure of a play with the structure of a novel. What structure do you feel is most appropriate for "Mister Roberts?"
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)