|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what geographical location are the sailors having their liberty?
2. When will Roberts finally respect Pulver?
3. Why does the Captain not want Roberts to leave his ship?
4. In which branch of the military is Roberts enlisted?
5. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Roberts' transfer and travel plans at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what has happened because of the men's behavior while on liberty?
3. What happens in Act 2, Scene 4, when the Captain gets angry?
4. About what does Dowdy complain to Pulver, and how does Pulver respond in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, the Captain accuses Roberts of what?
6. How would you describe the Captain's character traits in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. How do Doc and Pulver feel about Roberts' change in attitude?
8. How do the men find out about Roberts' agreement with the Captain, and how does their attitude change toward him?
9. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
10. What information does Furnell's letter share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action and falling action. These two devices are part of what? Cite examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Outline what a plot is. Define what exposition and climax are in a plot, and provide examples from "Mister Roberts" for these two parts.
Essay Topic 3
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)