|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Roberts ask the Port Director?
2. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
3. What are Pulver, Doc, and Roberts making with Coca Cola, medication, alcohol, and iodine?
4. About what does Miss Girard say the nurses have been talking?
5. According to the Captain, what "pre-voked" him about the men getting liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Roberts' letter share?
2. About what does Dowdy complain to Pulver, and how does Pulver respond in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. Into what other trouble, besides the dance, have the sailors gotten themselves while on liberty?
4. What reason is provided for why Roberts has let the Captain speak to him the way he has, and who defends Roberts?
5. What leads to so many injured sailors at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
6. To what realization do Doc and Roberts come regarding Roberts and the crew in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. How does the crew seem to feel about Roberts at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. Where is "Mister Roberts" set, and whose story does it tell?
9. What does the Captain do when he first realizes what has happened to his palm tree?
10. What does Doc think about the cargo ship and the desire to fight about which Roberts is speaking?
Essay Topic 1
Outline the transformation of Pulver from the beginning of the story to the end. Due to this transformation, what type of character is Pulver considered? As part of your answer, define the concepts of static and dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
Define characterization and name the two types of characterization that has been studied. Provide an example of characterization from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)