|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Girard catch the sailors on the ship doing?
2. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
3. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
4. Who lies about seeing women in the spyglass?
5. Why do the sailors want to go to an island near their ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Captain say to Roberts about his transfer requests in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Doc learn about Roberts and his transfer requests?
3. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
4. How is the Captain reacting to the news of Roberts' transfer?
5. What does the reader learn about Roberts' transfer and travel plans at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
6. What affect does Roberts feel liberty has had on the men?
7. What is Pulver's excuse for not having lunch with the Captain?
8. What news does Roberts share with the men at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. How do Doc and Pulver feel about Roberts' change in attitude?
10. What happens in Act 2, Scene 4, when the Captain gets angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing and how is it used in literature? What is one example of foreshadowing used in "Mister Roberts?" Do you find foreshadowing as a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define symbolism as a literary term. What is the main symbol in the play and what does it represent? Are there any other examples of symbolism that can be found in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define irony as a literary term. What is an example of irony used in "Mister Roberts?"
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)