|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors notice is being built on a nearby island?
2. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
3. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
4. What does Dowdy request from Roberts as they unload the cargo?
5. Miss Girard wants whom to join her and Pulver for a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the Captain's character traits in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Roberts have to do to get the Captain to give the men their liberty?
3. What is the mood of the sailors as they get ready for liberty?
4. What does the Captain ask Roberts to do at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What leads to so many injured sailors at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
6. How does the Captain react when he sees the men with their shirts off while on deck?
7. How do Roberts' and Doc's feelings differ regarding Roberts' making another attempt at a transfer request.
8. To what realization do Doc and Roberts come regarding Roberts and the crew in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. What excuse does the Captain give Roberts for canceling liberty?
10. What is Pulver's interaction with the Captain like in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define characterization and name the two types of characterization that has been studied. Provide an example of characterization from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Outline the transformation of Pulver from the beginning of the story to the end. Due to this transformation, what type of character is Pulver considered? As part of your answer, define the concepts of static and dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)