|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
2. Who is the only sailor on the ship who has been to the port where they men are going to have their liberty?
3. What reasons does the Captain give for canceling liberty for the men?
4. What do the sailors notice is being built on a nearby island?
5. According to the Captain, what "pre-voked" him about the men getting liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pulver goes to test his firecracker?
2. Into what other trouble, besides the dance, have the sailors gotten themselves while on liberty?
3. What does the crew present to Roberts right before he leaves?
4. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
5. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What does the reader learn about Pulver in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. What information does Roberts' letter share?
8. What reason is provided for why Roberts has let the Captain speak to him the way he has, and who defends Roberts?
9. What does the Captain do when he first realizes what has happened to his palm tree?
10. What does Dolan try to pressure Roberts to do, and how does Roberts react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony as a literary term. What is an example of irony used in "Mister Roberts?"
Essay Topic 2
What is a hero and where did the hero story originate? In this play, who can be considered a hero, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is liberty so important to the men on the cargo ship? What importance or role does liberty play in the unfolding of the story "Mister Roberts?" Would this story have been the same if the conflict surrounding the men's liberty was removed?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)