|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
2. Who says that Roberts' is stupid for "chasing death?"
3. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
4. Where does Pulver hide the letter Dolan has typed for Roberts?
5. What gift does Roberts take to the Port Director?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Roberts' letter share?
2. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
3. What happens in Act 2, Scene 4, when the Captain gets angry?
4. What does Doc think about the cargo ship and the desire to fight about which Roberts is speaking?
5. What is the response when the crew hears the Captain is still asleep and has not issued the orders for liberty to start?
6. How does the Captain react when he sees the men with their shirts off while on deck?
7. What does the Captain do when he first realizes what has happened to his palm tree?
8. What information does Furnell's letter share?
9. What is Dolan doing with the goat on the cargo ship?
10. Pulver and Miss Girard are talking about what as they try to head to Pulver's cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism as a literary term. What is the main symbol in the play and what does it represent? Are there any other examples of symbolism that can be found in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Define the two classical types of plays that have been studied and one newer type of fiction that has been discussed. Into which category do you believe "Mister Roberts" falls, and why? Provide examples from the story to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action and falling action. These two devices are part of what? Cite examples from the play.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)