|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Miss Girard hold for the nurses?
2. Who has given Miss Girard the nickname "Red Label?"
3. What request does the Captain ask of Roberts regarding their conversation about the men's liberty?
4. What order does the captain shout to the men about their shirts?
5. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Roberts' and Doc's feelings differ regarding Roberts' making another attempt at a transfer request.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what has happened because of the men's behavior while on liberty?
3. What does Dolan try to pressure Roberts to do, and how does Roberts react?
4. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
5. How is the Captain reacting to the news of Roberts' transfer?
6. How do Roberts and the men respond to the news that the war is over in Europe?
7. What does the crew present to Roberts right before he leaves?
8. What is the mood of the sailors as they get ready for liberty?
9. What kind of excitement and trouble do the spyglasses cause in the beginning of the play?
10. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
Essay Topic 2
Define protagonist and antagonist. Provide one example from the text of both a protagonist and antagonist, and explain how that character fulfills the role of either an antagonist or a protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
Define characterization and name the two types of characterization that has been studied. Provide an example of characterization from the text.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)