|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Captain, whose idea is liberty since it is not his?
2. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
3. What does the Captain call Roberts after they settle their argument about the men's liberty?
4. What warning phrase do the sailors shout when spying on the women showering?
5. How much money is bet by the sailors that Miss Girard is the nurse with the birthmark on her bottom?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Dowdy complain to Pulver, and how does Pulver respond in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
3. How does Roberts seem to feel about the cargo ship and being on it?
4. How do Doc and Pulver feel about Roberts' change in attitude?
5. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
6. To what realization do Doc and Roberts come regarding Roberts and the crew in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
8. How do Roberts and the men respond to the news that the war is over in Europe?
9. About what do Dolan and Pulver speak when Dolan comes to drop off Roberts' letter?
10. How does the Captain speak about Roberts in front of the men in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline what a plot is. Define what exposition and climax are in a plot, and provide examples from "Mister Roberts" for these two parts.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pulver's relationship with Roberts, and Doc's relationship with Roberts. How do they differ from Roberts' relationship with the crew?
Essay Topic 3
What is a hero and where did the hero story originate? In this play, who can be considered a hero, and why?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)