|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
2. Miss Girard wants whom to join her and Pulver for a drink?
3. How does Doc describe the desire to fight?
4. What item is a trophy of excellence for the Captain?
5. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Doc and Roberts help Pulver out in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What affect does Roberts feel liberty has had on the men?
3. What does the Captain say to Roberts about his transfer requests in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What excuse does the Captain give Roberts for canceling liberty?
5. What are some of the lies that Pulver tells Nurse Girard?
6. What information does Furnell's letter share?
7. How does the crew seem to feel about Roberts at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What does the Captain ask Roberts to do at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
9. What leads to so many injured sailors at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
10. About what do Dolan and Pulver speak when Dolan comes to drop off Roberts' letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does authority play in this story? How do Roberts and the crew view authority? How does this differ from the way the Captain views authority?
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action and falling action. These two devices are part of what? Cite examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Outline the transformation of Pulver from the beginning of the story to the end. Due to this transformation, what type of character is Pulver considered? As part of your answer, define the concepts of static and dynamic characters.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)