|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only sailor on the ship who has been to the port where they men are going to have their liberty?
2. What does Dolan say about Roberts' letter?
(a) It is not a very good letter.
(b) The letter is written in excellent handwriting.
(c) It has tons of spelling errors.
(d) It is the best transfer Roberts' has ever written.
3. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(b) He is on watch for the afternoon.
(c) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
(d) He has to finish his chores.
4. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
(a) Roberts can write another letter once he has been more obedient.
(b) Roberts has to write more convincing letters.
(c) Roberts is not to write any more letters.
(d) Roberts cannot order other men to write his letters.
5. What reasons does the Captain give for canceling liberty for the men?
(a) The anchor is broken and they cannot stop.
(b) Security concerns.
(c) They have been called to join the battle.
(d) Their bad attitudes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors notice is being built on a nearby island?
2. What does Doc say Pulver has been telling him?
3. Why does the Captain not want Roberts to leave his ship?
4. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
5. According to the Captain, Pulver is the only officer who does what to the Captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Roberts share with the men at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
2. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
3. What does the Captain do when he first realizes what has happened to his palm tree?
4. What kind of excitement and trouble do the spyglasses cause in the beginning of the play?
5. What reasons does Roberts give for putting Dolan on report?
6. Dowdy and Roberts discuss what regarding the nearby island in the first scene of the play?
7. What are some of the lies that Pulver tells Nurse Girard?
8. What causes Miss Girard to look through one of the spyglasses while she is on the ship?
9. What information does Furnell's letter share?
10. How do the men find out about Roberts' agreement with the Captain, and how does their attitude change toward him?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)