|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
(a) He is eating lunch.
(b) He is waiting to receive his commands.
(c) He is punishing them.
(d) He is sleeping.
2. How does the Captain punish Roberts when he becomes angry at Roberts for disobeying him?
(a) He is confined to his quarters.
(b) He cannot go to the island any more.
(c) He has to swab the entire deck.
(d) He is placed in solitary confinement.
3. What does Roberts tell Doc he spots while on watch the previous night?
(a) A formation of battleships in the distance.
(b) Storm clouds fast approaching.
(c) A fire on a nearby ship.
(d) An unlucky omen.
4. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
(a) Roberts is not to write any more letters.
(b) Roberts cannot order other men to write his letters.
(c) Roberts can write another letter once he has been more obedient.
(d) Roberts has to write more convincing letters.
5. Who has given Miss Girard the nickname "Red Label?"
(a) One of the other nurses.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only sailor on the ship who has been to the port where they men are going to have their liberty?
2. Why does the Captain not want Roberts to leave his ship?
3. Who tells the sailors that it is time to start their daily work?
4. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
5. Over what does the crew argue when the Captain has left the deck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roberts have to do to get the Captain to give the men their liberty?
2. What happens in Act 2, Scene 4, when the Captain gets angry?
3. What does Doc think about the cargo ship and the desire to fight about which Roberts is speaking?
4. How would you describe the Captain's character traits in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How is the Captain reacting to the news of Roberts' transfer?
6. How does the Captain react when he sees the men with their shirts off while on deck?
7. What affect does Roberts feel liberty has had on the men?
8. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' things and why?
9. What are the Captain's orders about fruit, and why does Roberts break these orders?
10. How does Pulver react when he reads the news about Roberts?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)