|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finishing his notice about liberty being canceled, at what does the Captain glance?
(a) His watch.
(b) His trophy.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A picture of himself.
2. Over what does the crew argue when the Captain has left the deck?
(a) Whether or not Roberts should have listened to the Captain's orders.
(b) Whether or not they should finish their job for the day.
(c) Who gets to sit next to Roberts in the mess hall.
(d) Who gets to take the next application for transfer to the Captain.
3. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
(b) A sailor has an asthma attack.
(c) Some of the food goes bad.
(d) A sailor passes out.
4. What does Miss Girard catch the sailors on the ship doing?
(a) Spying on the nurses as they shower.
(b) Stealing food from the kitchen.
(c) Making inappropriate comments about her.
(d) Making fun of Pulver.
5. What position does Roberts truly hold on the ship?
(a) Executive officer.
(b) Laundry officer.
(d) First mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dowdy request from Roberts as they unload the cargo?
2. When Miss Girard talks about her nickname, how does Pulver respond?
3. Who tells the sailors that it is time to start their daily work?
4. What does Roberts do to Pulver in jest when the Captain leaves the deck?
5. Why does the Captain not want Roberts to leave his ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pulver and Miss Girard are talking about what as they try to head to Pulver's cabin?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what has happened because of the men's behavior while on liberty?
3. What are the Captain's orders about fruit, and why does Roberts break these orders?
4. What does Doc think about the cargo ship and the desire to fight about which Roberts is speaking?
5. What does the Captain say about college-educated men?
6. What leads to so many injured sailors at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What causes Miss Girard to look through one of the spyglasses while she is on the ship?
8. How does Roberts seem to feel about the cargo ship and being on it?
9. What does the reader learn about Pulver in Act 1, Scene 4?
10. How do Doc and Roberts help Pulver out in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)