|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Military Policeman, how many soldiers are in the hospital?
2. According to Dolan, what is the Captain's response to Roberts' transfer assignment?
(a) He is too busy planting new palm trees to really care.
(b) He is so angry he cannot get out of bed.
(c) He is happy for Roberts and wants to throw him a goodbye party.
(d) He is so sad he has been crying for days straight.
3. What facts do the sailors hear the Captain say to Roberts over the loudspeaker?
(a) They hear that the Captain say he will resign.
(b) That he and Roberts had made a deal so the men could have liberty.
(c) They hear the Captain say the palm tree is his only friend.
(d) They hear the Captain say Roberts will be court marshalled.
4. What does Roberts do to the Captain's palm tree before throwing it overboard?
(a) Lights it on fire.
(b) Rips all the branches off.
(c) Salutes it.
(d) Urinates on it.
5. According to Dolan, why has Roberts allowed the Captain to speak to him the way he does in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Because he is trying to get on the Captain's good side.
(b) Because he is just tired from a late night shift.
(c) Because he is waiting for the perfect time to strike back.
(d) Because he does not realize the Captain is speaking to him.
6. According to the Shore Patrolman, how is the Colonel viewed on the island?
(a) People do not even know who he is.
(c) People love the Colonel.
7. What does the inscription on the medal say?
(a) For bravery in the face of danger.
(b) For showing them who is boss.
(c) For being the best.
(d) For action against the enemy.
8. How does Roberts respond when the Doc accuses him of thinking that the crew owes him something?
(a) He says that is not how he feels.
(b) He says the Doc is right.
(c) He says nothing and walks away.
(d) He says they do owe him.
9. Doc and what other sailor do not believe that Roberts is deliberately looking for a promotion on the cargo ship?
(b) The Captain.
10. What does Roberts suggest Pulver get so that he can speak with Doc alone?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) The news on the war front.
(c) A biscut and tea.
(d) A pen and paper.
11. How does Roberts respond to the news that the war in Europe is over?
(a) He runs out of the room in tears.
(b) He sadly says he will be out of the fight.
(c) He rejoices.
(d) He is so happy that he jumps up and down
12. On what piece of equipment is an unconscious sailor found?
(a) The wheel.
(b) The watchtower.
(c) A cargo net.
(d) The anchor.
13. What does Roberts tell Pulver as he exits the ship?
(a) That he is counting on Pulver.
(b) That it is Pulver's time to shine.
(c) That he still expects that prank from Pulver.
(d) That Pulver has disappointed him.
14. According to the Patrol Officer, why do the sailors break into the house on the island.?
(a) That is where all the soldiers are hiding from them.
(b) They hate the person living in that house.
(c) Someone lies to them and says it is a brothel.
(d) They are so drunk that they cannot remember.
15. During the fight between the sailors and soldiers, what happens to the young women attending the dance?
(a) They are not affected at all and keep dancing.
(b) They break up the fight and everything returns to normal.
(c) They are injured or frightened away.
(d) They join in the fight themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what unusual item does the crew pour alcohol when they drink a toast to Roberts?
2. According to Dolan, with which military officer has the Captain recently gotten into an argument?
3. What image is on the homemade medal the crew presents to Roberts?
4. What does the Captain say the soldiers will do until he discovers who got rid of his palm tree?
5. Which sailor takes Roberts' packed suitcase to the waiting boat?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)