|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
(a) One year.
(b) Four months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five months.
2. What does Miss Girard catch the sailors on the ship doing?
(a) Making inappropriate comments about her.
(b) Making fun of Pulver.
(c) Stealing food from the kitchen.
(d) Spying on the nurses as they shower.
3. How does the Captain punish Roberts when he becomes angry at Roberts for disobeying him?
(a) He cannot go to the island any more.
(b) He is confined to his quarters.
(c) He has to swab the entire deck.
(d) He is placed in solitary confinement.
4. Why is the Captain so angry with Roberts when he comes out on deck during the supply transfer?
(a) Because the men do not have their shirts on.
(b) Because Roberts disobeyed his orders about the fruit.
(c) All answers are correct
(d) Because he has just received Roberts' letter.
5. What does Roberts pick up at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A mop and pail.
(b) The spyglass.
(c) His next request for transfer.
(d) His bottle of scotch.
6. What job does Pulver truly hold on the cargo ship?
(b) Laundry officer.
(c) Second engineer.
(d) Private First Class.
7. How are the Captain's actions best described in Act 1, Scene 6?
8. What paper is Roberts holding in his hand when he runs into the doctor early in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) A list of tasks.
(b) A page from his journal.
(c) An application for transfer.
(d) A letter to his wife.
9. What does the Captain assume about Pulver since he never sees Pulver around?
(a) That Pulver is lazy.
(b) That Pulver is always busy doing his job.
(c) That Pulver is always a step ahead.
(d) Tha Pulver is sneaking off the ship.
10. What does Doc think about the cargo ship?
(a) That is smells like fish and sweat.
(b) That it is pointless in comparison with other ships.
(c) That is it like being on a cruise ship.
(d) That is performs a necessary job in the war.
11. What position does Miss Girard hold for the nurses?
(a) Head nurse.
(b) Mail officer.
(c) Laundry officer.
(d) Nurses assistant.
12. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
(a) Roberts is not to write any more letters.
(b) Roberts cannot order other men to write his letters.
(c) Roberts can write another letter once he has been more obedient.
(d) Roberts has to write more convincing letters.
13. About what does Miss Girard say the nurses have been talking?
(a) How much they love cocktails.
(b) Coming out to visit the ship.
(c) How handsome Pulver is.
(d) Putting up curtains.
14. Which of the following does Roberts not say about Pulver?
(a) He is too preoccupied by sex.
(b) He is lazy.
(c) He is a great shot.
(d) He is a great guy.
15. What does Roberts tell Doc he spots while on watch the previous night?
(a) A fire on a nearby ship.
(b) An unlucky omen.
(c) Storm clouds fast approaching.
(d) A formation of battleships in the distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
2. What does Doc say Pulver has been telling him?
3. What does the Captain reference when talking about his success with Roberts?
4. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
5. Besides the nearby island, on what does Dowdy comment when he first joins Roberts?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)