|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reasons does the Captain give for canceling liberty for the men?
(a) Security concerns.
(b) The anchor is broken and they cannot stop.
(c) Their bad attitudes.
(d) They have been called to join the battle.
2. What paper is Roberts holding in his hand when he runs into the doctor early in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) A list of tasks.
(b) A letter to his wife.
(c) An application for transfer.
(d) A page from his journal.
3. When Miss Girard talks about her nickname, how does Pulver respond?
(a) He tells her she is being inappropriate.
(b) He tells her a story about his nickname.
(c) He tells her he does not know about what she is talking.
(d) He gets very embarrassed.
4. Who says that Roberts' is stupid for "chasing death?"
(c) The Captain.
5. What does Pulver say he is going to put under the Captain's bed?
(a) A firecracker.
(b) A thank you card.
(c) A dead fish.
(d) A letter from Roberts.
6. What does Doc think about the cargo ship?
(a) That is performs a necessary job in the war.
(b) That is smells like fish and sweat.
(c) That is it like being on a cruise ship.
(d) That it is pointless in comparison with other ships.
7. Why does the Captain not want Roberts to leave his ship?
(a) He is afraid for Roberts' safety if he goes to battle.
(b) He wants to make Roberts miserable.
(c) Because Roberts' skills help the Captain.
(d) He will miss Roberts' friendship too much.
8. What order does the captain shout to the men about their shirts?
(a) Shirts are to be worn on deck.
(b) Only black shirts should be worn.
(c) No shirt should have long sleeves.
(d) All shirts should have pockets.
9. Why do the sailors want to go to an island near their ship?
(a) For more supplies.
(b) They are sea sick.
(c) For liberty.
(d) To be placed on a new ship.
10. For what does Roberts ask the Port Director?
(a) A job with the port authority.
(b) A recommendation to his captain.
(c) Liberty for the men.
(d) A longer vacation for himself.
11. Why does the Captain tell Roberts not to release any of the fresh fruit while they are unloading cargo?
(a) He wants it for himself.
(b) He has to make sure they are properly recorded first.
(c) The fruit is making other sailors ill.
(d) He is saving it for a friend.
12. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
(a) Cover his chores.
(b) Type a letter.
(c) Iron his uniform.
(d) Leave him alone.
13. What does Roberts do to Pulver in jest when the Captain leaves the deck?
(a) Roberts calls Pulver a suck-up.
(b) Roberts salutes Pulver.
(c) Roberts calls Pulver "Captain."
(d) Roberts gives Pulver a noogie.
14. Which of the following is not something the sailors do as they prepare for their liberty?
(b) Write a letter to their mother.
(c) Shine their shoes.
(d) Comb their hair.
15. What does the Captain see when he gets on deck that he considers to be insubordination by the crew?
(a) The men talking about how much they wish they were off the ship.
(b) The men with their shirts off.
(c) Roberts and the men making fun of the Captain.
(d) The men joking around and not working.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which branch of the military is Roberts enlisted?
2. What warning phrase do the sailors shout when spying on the women showering?
3. What does Doc say Pulver has been telling him?
4. At the beginning of the play, with which shipmate is Roberts talking?
5. During which war is this play set?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)