|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over what does the crew argue when the Captain has left the deck?
(a) Who gets to sit next to Roberts in the mess hall.
(b) Whether or not they should finish their job for the day.
(c) Who gets to take the next application for transfer to the Captain.
(d) Whether or not Roberts should have listened to the Captain's orders.
2. After finishing his notice about liberty being canceled, at what does the Captain glance?
(a) His trophy.
(b) His watch.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A picture of himself.
3. What drink do Miss Girard and Roberts joke is their favorite?
(a) Peach Schnapps.
(d) Medical alcohol and orange juice.
4. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
(a) One year.
(b) Four months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five months.
5. What position does Roberts truly hold on the ship?
(b) Executive officer.
(c) First mate.
(d) Laundry officer.
6. What does the Captain call Roberts after they settle their argument about the men's liberty?
(b) Number one.
(d) College fella.
7. What does Roberts tell Doc he spots while on watch the previous night?
(a) Storm clouds fast approaching.
(b) A fire on a nearby ship.
(c) A formation of battleships in the distance.
(d) An unlucky omen.
8. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
(a) He is punishing them.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is waiting to receive his commands.
(d) He is eating lunch.
9. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
(a) Roberts must promise to not write any more transfer requests.
(b) Roberts must stay on the ship while the men go ashore.
(c) Roberts must leave Pulver on the island.
(d) Roberts must leave the ship and never come back.
10. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
(a) Cover his chores.
(b) Type a letter.
(c) Iron his uniform.
(d) Leave him alone.
11. Who is the only sailor that appears calm in preparation for the liberty?
12. At the beginning of the play, with which shipmate is Roberts talking?
13. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
(b) He has to finish his chores.
(c) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(d) He is on watch for the afternoon.
14. How does Roberts seem to view the cargo ship's role in the war compared with a battleship's role in the war?
(a) He sees the cargo ship's role as being inferior.
(b) He believes that both ships are inferior to the role of airplanes.
(c) He thinks that they are equally important.
(d) He sees the battleship's role as less important.
15. What order does the captain shout to the men about their shirts?
(a) All shirts should have pockets.
(b) Only black shirts should be worn.
(c) Shirts are to be worn on deck.
(d) No shirt should have long sleeves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons does the Captain give for canceling liberty for the men?
2. What does Pulver say he is going to put under the Captain's bed?
3. What type of men does the Captain say he resents?
4. In which branch of the military is Roberts enlisted?
5. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)