|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, with which shipmate is Roberts talking?
2. Which type of alcohol does Miss Girard love?
3. What position does Roberts truly hold on the ship?
(a) Executive officer.
(c) Laundry officer.
(d) First mate.
4. What warning phrase do the sailors shout when spying on the women showering?
(a) May day.
(b) Flash Red.
5. Why does Roberts shut off the radio?
(a) He decides to try and take a nap.
(b) There is too much static to hear the reports.
(c) Only songs in foreign languages are playing.
(d) The reports about the war action make him angry.
6. What job does Pulver truly hold on the cargo ship?
(a) Laundry officer.
(c) Private First Class.
(d) Second engineer.
7. What position does Roberts tell Miss Girard he holds on the ship?
(b) Executive officer
(d) Laundry officer.
8. Why is the Captain so angry with Roberts when he comes out on deck during the supply transfer?
(a) All answers are correct
(b) Because he has just received Roberts' letter.
(c) Because the men do not have their shirts on.
(d) Because Roberts disobeyed his orders about the fruit.
9. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
(a) He is waiting to receive his commands.
(b) He is eating lunch.
(c) He is punishing them.
(d) He is sleeping.
10. Who lies about seeing women in the spyglass?
11. What does Doc think about the cargo ship?
(a) That it is pointless in comparison with other ships.
(b) That is performs a necessary job in the war.
(c) That is it like being on a cruise ship.
(d) That is smells like fish and sweat.
12. After finishing his notice about liberty being canceled, at what does the Captain glance?
(a) A mirror.
(b) His watch.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) His trophy.
13. Over what does the crew argue when the Captain has left the deck?
(a) Whether or not Roberts should have listened to the Captain's orders.
(b) Who gets to sit next to Roberts in the mess hall.
(c) Who gets to take the next application for transfer to the Captain.
(d) Whether or not they should finish their job for the day.
14. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) He has to finish his chores.
(b) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(c) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
(d) He is on watch for the afternoon.
15. How does Doc describe the desire to fight?
(a) It is a passion.
(b) It is a stupid decision.
(c) It is a reflex.
(d) It is a life's calling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doc say Pulver has been telling him?
2. Who is the only sailor on the ship who has been to the port where they men are going to have their liberty?
3. What does Pulver call the nurse with whom he is hoping to be?
4. What paper is Roberts holding in his hand when he runs into the doctor early in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What gift does Roberts take to the Port Director?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)