|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Girard catch the sailors on the ship doing?
(a) Making inappropriate comments about her.
(b) Making fun of Pulver.
(c) Spying on the nurses as they shower.
(d) Stealing food from the kitchen.
2. Miss Girard wants whom to join her and Pulver for a drink?
(c) The Captain.
3. Which of the following is not something the sailors do as they prepare for their liberty?
(a) Shine their shoes.
(b) Comb their hair.
(d) Write a letter to their mother.
4. How does Doc describe the desire to fight?
(a) It is a passion.
(b) It is a reflex.
(c) It is a stupid decision.
(d) It is a life's calling.
5. What does Roberts do to Pulver in jest when the Captain leaves the deck?
(a) Roberts calls Pulver a suck-up.
(b) Roberts gives Pulver a noogie.
(c) Roberts calls Pulver "Captain."
(d) Roberts salutes Pulver.
6. What does Pulver say he is going to put under the Captain's bed?
(a) A thank you card.
(b) A dead fish.
(c) A letter from Roberts.
(d) A firecracker.
7. Who reveals to Roberts that the Captain has received his transfer request letter?
(b) The Messenger.
8. About what does Miss Girard say the nurses have been talking?
(a) Putting up curtains.
(b) Coming out to visit the ship.
(c) How handsome Pulver is.
(d) How much they love cocktails.
9. At what port are the sailors going to have liberty?
(b) Blue Bay.
(d) Rio Pico.
10. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) Some of the food goes bad.
(b) A sailor passes out.
(c) A sailor has an asthma attack.
(d) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
11. What position does Roberts truly hold on the ship?
(b) Executive officer.
(c) First mate.
(d) Laundry officer.
12. What does Dowdy request from Roberts as they unload the cargo?
(a) That the men be allowed to take off their shirts.
(b) Some lunch.
(c) A water break.
(d) That he be allowed to go to the infirmary.
13. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
(a) Type a letter.
(b) Cover his chores.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Iron his uniform.
14. During which war is this play set?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) Korean War.
(d) Vietnam War.
15. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
(a) Give him a reputation for being a patient leader.
(b) Help his reputation as a merciful Captain.
(c) Damage his reputation with the commanding officers.
(d) Make his ship sound like the boring ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roberts seem to view the cargo ship's role in the war compared with a battleship's role in the war?
2. For what does Roberts ask the Port Director?
3. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
4. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
5. Why has the Captain not issued the orders for the men to go ashore even though they are ready for their liberty?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)