|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paper is Roberts holding in his hand when he runs into the doctor early in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) An application for transfer.
(b) A list of tasks.
(c) A page from his journal.
(d) A letter to his wife.
2. Miss Girard wants whom to join her and Pulver for a drink?
(c) The Captain.
3. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(b) He is on watch for the afternoon.
(c) He has to finish his chores.
(d) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
4. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) A sailor passes out.
(b) A sailor has an asthma attack.
(c) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
(d) Some of the food goes bad.
5. According to the Captain, Pulver is the only officer who does what to the Captain?
(c) Jokes around with him.
6. What gift does Roberts take to the Port Director?
(a) Chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Scotch whisky.
(c) A new spyglass.
(d) New trousers.
7. What does Dolan say about Roberts' letter?
(a) The letter is written in excellent handwriting.
(b) It is not a very good letter.
(c) It has tons of spelling errors.
(d) It is the best transfer Roberts' has ever written.
8. What position does Roberts tell Miss Girard he holds on the ship?
(c) Laundry officer.
(d) Executive officer
9. What does the Captain assume about Pulver since he never sees Pulver around?
(a) That Pulver is always a step ahead.
(b) That Pulver is lazy.
(c) Tha Pulver is sneaking off the ship.
(d) That Pulver is always busy doing his job.
10. According to the Captain, what "pre-voked" him about the men getting liberty?
(a) That it was arranged by Roberts and the Port Director.
(b) That liberty means the men will get lazy.
(c) That it is not at the port he requested.
(d) That the men have only one week of liberty.
11. What type of men does the Captain say he resents?
(a) Mama's boys.
(b) College-educated men.
(c) Hero worshipping men.
(d) Indecisive men.
12. What does Pulver say he is going to put under the Captain's bed?
(a) A firecracker.
(b) A thank you card.
(c) A letter from Roberts.
(d) A dead fish.
13. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
(a) Roberts can write another letter once he has been more obedient.
(b) Roberts cannot order other men to write his letters.
(c) Roberts has to write more convincing letters.
(d) Roberts is not to write any more letters.
14. When Miss Girard talks about her nickname, how does Pulver respond?
(a) He gets very embarrassed.
(b) He tells her she is being inappropriate.
(c) He tells her a story about his nickname.
(d) He tells her he does not know about what she is talking.
15. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
(a) That the ship has been many battles.
(b) That the ship is named the U.S.S. Lincoln.
(c) That he is the favorite sailor on the ship.
(d) That he is the captain of the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Roberts not say about Pulver?
2. What does Doc think about the cargo ship?
3. What do the sailors do when they hear that their liberty is not canceled after all?
4. How long does the officer picking up supplies say it has been since his ship has had fresh fruit?
5. What does Roberts pick up at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)