|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Captain assume about Pulver since he never sees Pulver around?
(a) Tha Pulver is sneaking off the ship.
(b) That Pulver is always a step ahead.
(c) That Pulver is always busy doing his job.
(d) That Pulver is lazy.
2. Who says that Roberts' is stupid for "chasing death?"
(c) The Captain.
3. What paper is Roberts holding in his hand when he runs into the doctor early in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) A page from his journal.
(b) A letter to his wife.
(c) A list of tasks.
(d) An application for transfer.
4. What does Doc say Pulver has been telling him?
(a) That Roberts is a loser.
(b) Stories about the battlefront.
(c) Tales about his sexual prowess.
(d) That he is leaving the ship soon.
5. Which of the following is not something the sailors do as they prepare for their liberty?
(a) Write a letter to their mother.
(c) Shine their shoes.
(d) Comb their hair.
6. Why is the Captain so angry with Roberts when he comes out on deck during the supply transfer?
(a) All answers are correct
(b) Because Roberts disobeyed his orders about the fruit.
(c) Because he has just received Roberts' letter.
(d) Because the men do not have their shirts on.
7. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' locker?
(a) A knife.
(b) A letter.
(c) A shoebox.
8. How does Roberts seem to view the cargo ship's role in the war compared with a battleship's role in the war?
(a) He thinks that they are equally important.
(b) He sees the battleship's role as less important.
(c) He sees the cargo ship's role as being inferior.
(d) He believes that both ships are inferior to the role of airplanes.
9. What is Dolan asked to do for Roberts?
(a) Cover his chores.
(b) Iron his uniform.
(c) Type a letter.
(d) Leave him alone.
10. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
(a) Damage his reputation with the commanding officers.
(b) Make his ship sound like the boring ship.
(c) Give him a reputation for being a patient leader.
(d) Help his reputation as a merciful Captain.
11. What does the Captain reference when talking about his success with Roberts?
(a) His Medals of Honor.
(b) The Palm Tree.
(c) The ship.
(d) The Commodore.
12. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) Some of the food goes bad.
(b) A sailor passes out.
(c) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
(d) A sailor has an asthma attack.
13. In what geographical location are the sailors having their liberty?
(a) The North Atlantic.
(c) The Caribbean.
14. Which of the following best describes the Captain's actions in Act 1, Scene3?
15. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
(a) Roberts must leave the ship and never come back.
(b) Roberts must promise to not write any more transfer requests.
(c) Roberts must stay on the ship while the men go ashore.
(d) Roberts must leave Pulver on the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Girard ask Pulver to call a boat?
2. What does the Captain call Roberts after they settle their argument about the men's liberty?
3. When will Roberts finally respect Pulver?
4. What warning phrase do the sailors shout when spying on the women showering?
5. Who has given Miss Girard the nickname "Red Label?"
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)