|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who reveals to Roberts that the Captain has received his transfer request letter?
(b) The Messenger.
2. About what does Miss Girard say the nurses have been talking?
(a) How handsome Pulver is.
(b) Putting up curtains.
(c) Coming out to visit the ship.
(d) How much they love cocktails.
3. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
(a) Roberts must stay on the ship while the men go ashore.
(b) Roberts must promise to not write any more transfer requests.
(c) Roberts must leave Pulver on the island.
(d) Roberts must leave the ship and never come back.
4. What request does the Captain ask of Roberts regarding their conversation about the men's liberty?
(a) Keep it secret.
(b) Write a letter about it to the Commander.
(c) Make sure it is recorded as proof of Roberts dissension.
(d) Tell the men about it when they return from liberty.
5. What order does the Captain give Roberts regarding his letter writing?
(a) Roberts can write another letter once he has been more obedient.
(b) Roberts has to write more convincing letters.
(c) Roberts cannot order other men to write his letters.
(d) Roberts is not to write any more letters.
6. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
(b) A sailor has an asthma attack.
(c) A sailor passes out.
(d) Some of the food goes bad.
7. What order does the captain shout to the men about their shirts?
(a) Only black shirts should be worn.
(b) Shirts are to be worn on deck.
(c) All shirts should have pockets.
(d) No shirt should have long sleeves.
8. What type of men does the Captain say he resents?
(a) College-educated men.
(b) Indecisive men.
(c) Mama's boys.
(d) Hero worshipping men.
9. According to Dolan, when will the Captain need a bucket?
(a) When he sees how dirty Pulver's room is.
(b) When he reads Roberts' letter.
(c) When he gets seasick.
(d) When the cook serves his Seaman Surprise for dinner.
10. When will Roberts finally respect Pulver?
(a) When he goes through with a prank and confesses to it.
(b) When he can beat up Roberts.
(c) When he gets onto a real battleship.
(d) When he treats ladies with respect.
11. According to the Captain, whose idea is liberty since it is not his?
(c) The Sergeant.
(d) The General.
12. What reasons does the Captain give for canceling liberty for the men?
(a) Security concerns.
(b) The anchor is broken and they cannot stop.
(c) They have been called to join the battle.
(d) Their bad attitudes.
13. What does Roberts tell Doc he spots while on watch the previous night?
(a) An unlucky omen.
(b) A formation of battleships in the distance.
(c) A fire on a nearby ship.
(d) Storm clouds fast approaching.
14. Why does Roberts shut off the radio?
(a) There is too much static to hear the reports.
(b) He decides to try and take a nap.
(c) The reports about the war action make him angry.
(d) Only songs in foreign languages are playing.
15. What do Roberts and the Captain hear coming from the port while they are arguing about liberty?
(c) The men crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lies about seeing women in the spyglass?
2. What position on the ship does Pulver hold?
3. According to the Captain, Pulver is the only officer who does what to the Captain?
4. What job does Pulver truly hold on the cargo ship?
5. How does Doc describe the desire to fight?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)