|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Miss Girard hold for the nurses?
(a) Mail officer.
(b) Laundry officer.
(c) Head nurse.
(d) Nurses assistant.
2. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) He has to finish his chores.
(b) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(c) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
(d) He is on watch for the afternoon.
3. How does Roberts seem to view the cargo ship's role in the war compared with a battleship's role in the war?
(a) He thinks that they are equally important.
(b) He sees the cargo ship's role as being inferior.
(c) He sees the battleship's role as less important.
(d) He believes that both ships are inferior to the role of airplanes.
4. What happens to the Captain every time he gets angry at Roberts?
(a) He hits things.
(b) He is left speechless.
(c) He cries.
(d) He gets nauseated.
5. What gift does Roberts take to the Port Director?
(a) A new spyglass.
(b) New trousers.
(c) Chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Scotch whisky.
6. Who says that Roberts' is stupid for "chasing death?"
(d) The Captain.
7. What does the Captain see when he gets on deck that he considers to be insubordination by the crew?
(a) Roberts and the men making fun of the Captain.
(b) The men talking about how much they wish they were off the ship.
(c) The men with their shirts off.
(d) The men joking around and not working.
8. What order does the captain shout to the men about their shirts?
(a) Shirts are to be worn on deck.
(b) Only black shirts should be worn.
(c) All shirts should have pockets.
(d) No shirt should have long sleeves.
9. What does Doc think about the cargo ship?
(a) That is performs a necessary job in the war.
(b) That is it like being on a cruise ship.
(c) That is smells like fish and sweat.
(d) That it is pointless in comparison with other ships.
10. What type of fruit is in the crates Roberts gives to the officer?
11. Which type of alcohol does Miss Girard love?
12. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
(a) Give him a reputation for being a patient leader.
(b) Make his ship sound like the boring ship.
(c) Damage his reputation with the commanding officers.
(d) Help his reputation as a merciful Captain.
13. Which of the following is not something the sailors do as they prepare for their liberty?
(b) Shine their shoes.
(c) Write a letter to their mother.
(d) Comb their hair.
14. Because it is so hot, what happens while the sailors are unloading cargo?
(a) A sailor has an asthma attack.
(b) Some of the food goes bad.
(c) A sailor passes out.
(d) Some of the sailors jump into the sea for a swim.
15. What does the Captain reference when talking about his success with Roberts?
(a) The Commodore.
(b) His Medals of Honor.
(c) The Palm Tree.
(d) The ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
2. How does Roberts respond when the messenger tells him the Captain would like to see him?
3. What does Pulver call the nurse with whom he is hoping to be?
4. According to Dolan, when will the Captain need a bucket?
5. When Miss Girard talks about her nickname, how does Pulver respond?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)