|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Roberts truly hold on the ship?
(a) Executive officer.
(b) Laundry officer.
(c) First mate.
2. According to Dolan, when will the Captain need a bucket?
(a) When he gets seasick.
(b) When he sees how dirty Pulver's room is.
(c) When the cook serves his Seaman Surprise for dinner.
(d) When he reads Roberts' letter.
3. What type of men does the Captain say he resents?
(a) College-educated men.
(b) Indecisive men.
(c) Hero worshipping men.
(d) Mama's boys.
4. What does the Captain say Roberts' letters will do for his reputation?
(a) Make his ship sound like the boring ship.
(b) Help his reputation as a merciful Captain.
(c) Give him a reputation for being a patient leader.
(d) Damage his reputation with the commanding officers.
5. What does the Captain say Roberts must do so that the men will be allowed liberty?
(a) Roberts must stay on the ship while the men go ashore.
(b) Roberts must leave the ship and never come back.
(c) Roberts must promise to not write any more transfer requests.
(d) Roberts must leave Pulver on the island.
6. What job does Pulver truly hold on the cargo ship?
(a) Private First Class.
(b) Second engineer.
(d) Laundry officer.
7. During which war is this play set?
(a) World War I.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Korean War.
8. For what is Pulver looking in Roberts' locker?
(a) A letter.
(b) A knife.
(d) A shoebox.
9. What lies about the ship does Pulver tell Miss Girard?
(a) That the ship has been many battles.
(b) That he is the captain of the ship.
(c) That he is the favorite sailor on the ship.
(d) That the ship is named the U.S.S. Lincoln.
10. Who is the only sailor on the ship who has been to the port where they men are going to have their liberty?
11. Who reveals to Roberts that the Captain has received his transfer request letter?
(a) The Messenger.
12. Why can't Pulver have lunch with the Captain?
(a) He is on watch for the afternoon.
(b) The Captain has ordered him to his barracks.
(c) He has to go to the hospital on the island.
(d) He has to finish his chores.
13. What does Dowdy request from Roberts as they unload the cargo?
(a) Some lunch.
(b) A water break.
(c) That he be allowed to go to the infirmary.
(d) That the men be allowed to take off their shirts.
14. Who says that Roberts' is stupid for "chasing death?"
(b) The Captain.
15. In which branch of the military is Roberts enlisted?
(b) Coast Guard.
(d) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolan say about Roberts' letter?
2. How does Doc describe the desire to fight?
3. Which of the following best describes the Captain's actions in Act 1, Scene3?
4. What does Roberts do to Pulver in jest when the Captain leaves the deck?
5. What does the Captain reference when talking about his success with Roberts?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)