|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did the Miller's wife find favor with the king?
2. Why do Julie and Jean go to Jean's room?
3. Which part of Miss Julie's body does Strindberg describe as dirty?
4. What does Julie want Jean to do when she implores, "Command me--I will obey like a dog."
5. Why does Christine say she cannot continue working at the house?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Strindberg portrays heroines in the play. How are Julie and her mother, the Countess, tragic heroines? Is Christine a heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
In what way is MISS JULIE a character-based play? What is the difference between a character-based play and a plot-based play? How does Strindberg use the characters to tell the story?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)