|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say has happened to him only once?
2. What does Jean want to do in Switzerland?
3. Where did Jean learn to tell stories?
4. What does Christine do during the pantomime?
5. In Scene 1, what does Christine believe Jean will do in regards to Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine do with a hairpin that also lends insight into her character?
2. Describe Jean's and Christine's behavior in the kitchen and what it says about their relationship.
3. How is the Countess's handkerchief and Christine's handling it symbolic?
4. How does Strindberg convey Miss Julie's mental state in the preface?
5. Does Julie's family have a dark past?
6. How did Strindberg decide to divide the play?
7. What is Julie's recurring dream and what can it be a metaphor for?
8. What is the audience's responsibility in Scene 3?
9. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
10. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the degradation and submission of Julie, considering the following:
-Pretend and real.
-Jean's end game.
-The lowest point for the character is the high point of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the audience's role in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of surveillance in the play? What forces and groups act as spectators or accomplices to the characters' subjugation and persecution?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)