|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following countries does Strindberg set the play?
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. Why does Strindberg not use intermissions?
4. Where does Scene 1 take place?
5. During the pantomime, the audience can infer that Christine is evaluating Jean's loyalty to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Julie's mother raise Julie?
2. How do Julie's attitudes with Jean and her ex-fiancé compare?
3. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
4. What do Julie and Christine talk about while Jean gets changed?
5. What is the actress who plays Christine's stage directions and how are they significant?
6. Which of Julie's fears does the Chorus song embody?
7. What is the audience's responsibility in Scene 3?
8. What kind of imagery does Jean employ in recalling the stories of his youth when he first spied Miss Julie in her white dress and stockings?
9. Why doesn't Strindberg use "acts" and intermissions?
10. Why does Jean change his mind about leaving for Lake Como with Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Christine's character in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Julie and Christine in the play. Address their views on the following:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1880s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the play express the changes Europe was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1880s Europe?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)