|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Julie fiancé breaks the riding whip, he breaks her ______.
2. What does Strindberg allow the actors to do?
3. What is Jean's dream?
4. According to Strindberg, what interrupts the mood of the play?
5. At the end of the pantomime, who enters the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean say is the only option open to them?
2. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
3. How does Jean visualize their separate roles at the hotel?
4. Why was Miss Julie's engagement broken off?
5. What does the chorus represent in the play?
6. What characterized playwrights of Strindberg's time?
7. Which of Julie's fears does the Chorus song embody?
8. Where does Jean say he learned to speak French so well?
9. How did Julie's mother raise Julie?
10. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of gender in the play.
1. How do gender roles impact the characters' behavior and actions?
2. What characters embrace their gender roles and what characters try to break free?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of women in "Miss Julie?" Discuss the tension, attitudes, expectations, and how they are portrayed in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "Miss Julie" develops a 'play within a play' through story telling, role-playing, and deception.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)