Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
4. What kind of dream does Julie tell Jean she has in Scene 2?
5. What does Miss Julie dance with the peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
2. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
3. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
4. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
5. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
6. Instead of leaving for Lake Como, what solution does Jean offer Julie? How does Julie respond?
7. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
8. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
9. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Strindberg's views of the theater and his ideas about the nobility, theater, and social change.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Jean's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end.
1. What does Julie hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2. What events changes Julie's ideas about life?
3. How has Julie's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)