|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Miss Julie wearing when Jean saw her for the first time?
2. During the pantomime, what does Christine put in the china closet?
3. In Scene 2, Jean tells Julie that in his dream he is where?
4. At the end of the pantomime, how does Christine greet the person who enters?
5. According to Strindberg, who should shoulder the feelings his characters provoke in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine tell Julie that grace is not allotted to all, and why is this significant?
2. Why does Jean want to open a hotel?
3. When Jean tells Julie he loves her, is he still playing their game?
4. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
5. How does Jean convince Julie to run away with him?
6. Describe how August Strindberg's approach to drama was revolutionary.
7. How did Strindberg decide to divide the play?
8. What do Jean and Christine say about Miss Julie?
9. Why does Jean insist to Julie that there must be formality between them, and what does this signify?
10. What is the purpose of the preface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of surveillance in the play? What forces and groups act as spectators or accomplices to the characters' subjugation and persecution?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1880s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of class in the play.
1. How are the characters confined by the conditions of their birth?
2. Who tries to rise above his or her class position and why?
3. Who embraces her or his class position and why?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)