|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine believe Jean's motive is in dancing and flirting with Julie in Scene 1?
2. What does Christine see on the table during the pantomime?
3. Miss Julie's relationship with class, although indecisive, displays _______.
4. What is Jean's occupation?
5. "Miss Julie" is set in whose house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine do with a hairpin that also lends insight into her character?
2. Does class matter to Miss Julie?
3. How does the Count change the situation in the final scene?
4. How does Jean react when Julie asks him to kiss him?
5. Describe Jean's and Christine's behavior in the kitchen and what it says about their relationship.
6. Why does Jean tell Julie, "The pack is always cowardly"?
7. Why does Strindberg state that Miss Julie is a modern character?
8. Why is Julie upset at the beginning of Scene 3?
9. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
10. How did Strindberg decide to divide the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of conflict in "Miss Julie."
1. The conflict between Julie and society.
2. The conflict between Julie and Jean.
3. The conflict between Julie and herself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Christine's character in "Miss Julie."
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)