|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Strindberg, who should shoulder the feelings his characters provoke in the play?
2. What is Strindberg's aim in disclosing so much in the preface?
3. What does Christine put on the table when Miss Julie and Jean leave the kitchen?
4. What was a reflection of society at the time, according to Strindberg?
5. What is Christine doing in the kitchen in the Pantomime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood of Christine's Pantomime?
2. Why did Strindberg decide to divide the play with the use of monologues and dances?
3. Describe Julie's recurring dream.
4. What do Julie and Christine talk about when they are alone?
5. Why do Jean and Christine think Miss Julie is both upper and lower class?
6. Why does Jean say he tried to kill himself?
7. Why does Jean tell Julie that he is her "real, genuine, and respectful friend"? What is his tone?
8. How does Jean visualize their separate roles at the hotel?
9. How do Christine and Miss Julie compare in relationships?
10. Why did Strindberg believe modern plays were too joyful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Julie's life:
1. Her father
2. His mother
3. His fiance
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Julie's and Jean's views on love, desire, and intimacy. How are their views a reflection of dominant culture? How do they differ?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)