|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jean's dream?
2. How would Julie act if the situation with Christine were reversed?
3. What article of clothing does Christine take off during the pantomime?
4. In scene 1, the Count leaves to do what?
5. During the pantomime, how is the instrument being played?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jean grow impatient with Julie's intoxicated pleas for help for her situation?
2. Do the servants know what's occurring with Jean and Julie during the Ballet?
3. Why does Julie want Jean to kill her?
4. Why does Jean compare Julie to her mother, and how is this significant?
5. Why does Jean say he tried to kill himself?
6. What is the audience's responsibility in the Ballet?
7. According to Strindberg, what is our response to the tragedy of Julie due to?
8. How did Julie's father react when her mother cheated on him?
9. Why is Christine the sole character in the pantomime?
10. What does Jean say is the only option open to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the servants in the play. Who are they and what are their viewpoints on class, upper mobility, and the nobility?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams are highly symbolic in "Miss Julie." Discuss Julie's and Jean's dreams and analyze their potential meanings within the play.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)