|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Jean say does not amuse him?
2. What does Jean want to do in Switzerland?
3. After Christine goes to bed in Scene 2, how does Jean prove servitude to Julie?
4. Which of the following words describes how Christine and Jean are talking about Miss Julie?
5. What are the peasants doing as they approach the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean tell Julie about his recurring dream, and why is it significant?
2. Why does Jean compare Julie to her mother, and how is this significant?
3. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
4. What does the mitten signify in the third stanza? How does it relate to Julie?
5. How does Strindberg's interest in social ascent become a major theme in "Miss Julie"?
6. Why do Julie and Jean go to Jean's room?
7. Do Miss Julie and Jean have the same objective in running away together?
8. Describe Julie's recurring dream.
9. Describe the final scene.
10. Why does Strindberg state that Miss Julie is a modern character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "class" in "Miss Julie," considering the following:
-As a driving force.
-As an obstructive force.
-A standard in practice and theory.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influence or insignificance of gossip and others' opinions on characters in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Strindberg's style: how he organizes his play, the dialogue, and stage direction. What is his aim? How do all these elements play together? What is the overall effect of his play?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)