|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
4. What kind of dream does Julie tell Jean she has in Scene 2?
5. What does Miss Julie dance with the peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
2. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
3. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
4. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
5. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
6. Instead of leaving for Lake Como, what solution does Jean offer Julie? How does Julie respond?
7. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
8. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
9. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
Essay Topic 1
Use "Strindberg's Time" as a focus. Discuss how "Miss Julie" compares to playwrighting of the 19th century, other playwrights, and other Strindberg plays.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Julie's life:
1. Her father
2. His mother
3. His fiance
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of class in the play.
1. How are the characters confined by the conditions of their birth?
2. Who tries to rise above his or her class position and why?
3. Who embraces her or his class position and why?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)