|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Julie act if the situation with Christine were reversed?
2. What stands on the left of the window?
3. Who helped Miss Julie's family find a new home?
4. Why did Miss Julie's mother not want to give birth to Miss Julie?
5. "Miss Julie" is set in whose house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Strindberg's purpose in having a Chorus?
2. How does Christine respond to Julie's flirtatious behavior toward Jean, and what does it indicate about Christine's position?
3. Why does Jean tell Julie, "The pack is always cowardly"?
4. Not just in general, but in "Miss Julie" specifically, what specific tools does Stindberg use that were out of step with his time?
5. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
6. What do Jean and Christine discuss as the play opens, and why is it significant?
7. How does Jean visualize their separate roles at the hotel?
8. What is Jean's attitude towards Miss Julie in the first scene?
9. Which of Julie's fears does the Chorus song embody?
10. Why is Jean in such a good mood at the beginning of Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1880s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the play express the changes Europe was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1880s Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about late 19th century society:
1. Class structure.
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)