Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
4. What kind of dream does Julie tell Jean she has in Scene 2?
5. What does Miss Julie dance with the peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
2. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
3. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
4. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
5. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
6. Instead of leaving for Lake Como, what solution does Jean offer Julie? How does Julie respond?
7. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
8. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
9. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the degradation and submission of Julie, considering the following:
-Pretend and real.
-Jean's end game.
-The lowest point for the character is the high point of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Count as a structuring absence in the play. What are the characters' feelings about his role as the patriarch? What are the ways in which the characters offer their respect and servitude?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)