|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julie want to dance with Jean?
2. Why does Jean hesitate to dance with Julie?
3. Where did Miss Julie cancel her engagement with Mr. Kronvogt?
4. Christine and Jean are _____ when Julie enters the kitchen in Scene 2.
5. Miss Julie is the daughter of a ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jean's attitude towards Miss Julie in the first scene?
2. Describe Julie's recurring dream.
3. What does Jean say to Julie when Julie tries to wake Christine, and why is this significant?
4. What is the effect of the dance in Ballet?
5. How would you characterize Christine and Jean's relationship?
6. Why does it give Jean satisfaction to realize, "It is the glitter of brass, not gold, that dazzles us from below"?
7. How did Julie's father react when her mother cheated on him?
8. Why does Jean now want to get rid of Julie?
9. Why does Strindberg employ a pantomime?
10. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use "Strindberg's Time" as a focus. Discuss how "Miss Julie" compares to playwrighting of the 19th century, other playwrights, and other Strindberg plays.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Julie's life:
1. Her father
2. His mother
3. His fiance
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)