|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jean engaged to?
2. What does Christine put on the table when Miss Julie and Jean leave the kitchen?
3. In Scene 2, Jean and Julie conclude that if they got together___________.
4. Why does Miss Julie use a riding whip on her fiancé?
5. Why does Julie refute Jean's statement about the servants in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chorus represent in the play?
2. Not just in general, but in "Miss Julie" specifically, what specific tools does Stindberg use that were out of step with his time?
3. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
4. How does Christine respond to Jean's admission that he slept with Julie, and how is this significant?
5. Why does it give Jean satisfaction to realize, "It is the glitter of brass, not gold, that dazzles us from below"?
6. What is the dance's significance to the plot of "Miss Julie?"
7. Why does Miss Julie ask Jean to call her just "Julie?"
8. What is the symbolism of Miss Julie's mothers' dirty sleeves and clean buttons?
9. What does Julie think the servants think about her?
10. What does Julie's behavior toward Jean indicate about her own sense of power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom is a major theme in "Miss Julie." Choose three characters and identify the ways in which they try to attain freedom.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
MISS JULIE greatly influenced modern theater. Choose a play that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)