|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Strindberg's attitude in the preface?
2. What food does Christine fix for Jean?
3. Besides Julie, who are the two other main characters in the play?
4. Why does Julie refute Jean's statement about the servants in Scene 1?
5. Which of the following two people are the only two characters in the play other than Miss Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Christine and Miss Julie compare in relationships?
2. How does Christine respond to Jean's admission that he slept with Julie, and how is this significant?
3. What do Jean and Christine discuss as the play opens, and why is it significant?
4. What is the significance of Jean tossing Julie the coin?
5. What does Julie order Jean to do when she enters the kitchen?
6. During the Ballet, is this uncharacteristic behavior of the servants?
7. What do Julie and Christine talk about when they are alone?
8. Why does Julie claim that a servant is just a servant when regarding Christine? What does this reveal about Julie?
9. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
10. How do Julie's attitudes with Jean and her ex-fiancé compare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "class" in "Miss Julie," considering the following:
-As a driving force.
-As an obstructive force.
-A standard in practice and theory.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of family in the playl?
1. How does it function?
2. What power dynamics are in play?
3. Who has power within the family and why?
4. How does the nobility and its subjects mimic a traditional family?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)