|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words does Jean use to describe Miss Julie?
2. Julie calls Jean a ______.
3. Who is Christine cooking dinner for in Scene 1?
4. Which of the following cities does Jean want to travel through before they arrive in Switzerland?
5. How does Julie convince Jean to dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine think is happening between Jean and Julie?
2. What is the subtext of the song the chorus sings about the two ladies in the woods?
3. Why does Jean want to open a hotel?
4. What does Julie's dream represent?
5. Why is Jean in such a good mood at the beginning of Scene 4?
6. Why is Christine the sole character in the pantomime?
7. Why does Strindberg state that Miss Julie is a modern character?
8. How does Christine become the final arbiter of Julie's fate?
9. How did Julie's father react when her mother cheated on him?
10. Why did Strindberg want the actors to improvise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the audience's role in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Julie and Christine in the play. Address their views on the following:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "class" in "Miss Julie," considering the following:
-As a driving force.
-As an obstructive force.
-A standard in practice and theory.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)