|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean observes that Miss Julie is acting _____.
2. Who does the Count leave Julie with as the play opens?
3. Christine knows you can't win a man by ______.
4. What does Jean get in his eye?
5. Who is similar to Julie's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subtext of the song the chorus sings about the two ladies in the woods?
2. Describe the final scene.
3. Why does Julie want Jean to kill her?
4. How does Strindberg's interest in social ascent become a major theme in "Miss Julie"?
5. How would you characterize Christine and Jean's relationship?
6. What does Jean tell Christine he witnessed Julie and her fiancé doing in the stableyard and how is it significant?
7. Why does Strindberg claim that the problem of social ascent is a suitable matter for tragedy?
8. Summarize the play.
9. How do Jean's feelings toward Julie change in the fourth scene?
10. Why does Jean want to remain with Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality reflected in the play? How does he express his view through the character and play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, ancestry serves to empower and disenfranchise the characters. Choose two characters and identify the ways in which they are empowered and disenfranchised by their heritage.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of "dreams" in "Miss Julie."
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)