Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
4. What kind of dream does Julie tell Jean she has in Scene 2?
5. What does Miss Julie dance with the peasants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
2. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
3. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
4. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
5. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
6. Instead of leaving for Lake Como, what solution does Jean offer Julie? How does Julie respond?
7. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
8. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
9. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the servants in the play. Who are they and what are their viewpoints on class, upper mobility, and the nobility?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "disgrace" in "Miss Julie" in the following ways:
-Characters' awareness and unawareness.
-Its projected effect, real effect, and characters' reactions.
-Characters as victims and self-inflicted.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)