|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julie sitting on in her dream?
2. At the time "Miss Julie" is written, society has very _____ thinking.
3. According to Jean, where did his father work?
4. What instrument does the band leader play?
5. Publishing his plays is a ______ for Strindberg.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
2. What does the hotel represent for Julie and Jean after their liaison?
3. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
4. How does Jean calm Julie down?
5. To what does Julie attribute the strange power that drew her to Jean, and how is this significant?
6. How does Julie feel about stealing from her father?
7. What is the mood of Christine's Pantomime?
8. Why does Jean call of his plans to open the hotel?
9. How does Jean persuade Julie to go up to his room?
10. Not just in general, but in "Miss Julie" specifically, what specific tools does Stindberg use that were out of step with his time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the degradation and submission of Julie, considering the following:
-Pretend and real.
-Jean's end game.
-The lowest point for the character is the high point of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about late 19th century society:
1. Class structure.
Essay Topic 3
MISS JULIE greatly influenced modern theater. Choose a play that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)