|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean carry into the kitchen?
2. What does Strindberg allow the actors to do?
3. Who helped Miss Julie's family find a new home?
4. What celebration is the setting of the play?
5. How does Strindberg want to form his characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie's dream represent?
2. What characterized playwrights of Strindberg's time?
3. Describe the final scene.
4. When Jean tells Julie he loves her, is he still playing their game?
5. Why does Jean proclaim that wedding Julie would be a misalliance?
6. Describe Christine's reaction to the music and why it is significant.
7. What is Jean's true motive for sleeping with Julie?
8. What does Julie tell happened to the estate when she was a child that led to the big fire?
9. In addition to cleaning the kitchen, what else does Christine do to the kitchen that provides insight into how she feels about her position as a cook?
10. How does Julie show that she is in denial at the beginning of the third scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how wealth controls the characters of "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the audience's role in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)