|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Christine and Jean, why did Julie and her fiancé break up?
2. What does Christine see on the table during the pantomime?
3. Which of the following characters is 35-years-old?
4. Why type of plays do the audiences in Strindberg's time want to see?
5. What language do Jean and Miss Julie speak together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does silence say in Pantomime?
2. Why is Julie upset at the beginning of Scene 3?
3. What do Christine's actions say about her?
4. How do Christine and Miss Julie compare in relationships?
5. In Scene 2, does Miss Julie care that Jean and Christine are alone together?
6. What is the purpose of the preface?
7. What does the chorus represent in the play?
8. What does Julie think the servants think about her?
9. Describe Jean's and Christine's behavior in the kitchen and what it says about their relationship.
10. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, ancestry serves to empower and disenfranchise the characters. Choose two characters and identify the ways in which they are empowered and disenfranchised by their heritage.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jean's character in "Miss Julie."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the audience's role in "Miss Julie."
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)