|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jean trying to get to in his dream?
2. What kind of relationship did Miss Julie's mother have with the manufacturer?
3. Who is similar to Julie's mother?
4. In Scene 1, what idea does Jean begin to formulate in regards to Christine and Julie?
5. How does Miss Julie say she feels when she speaks to Jean about their situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julie's recurring dream and what can it be a metaphor for?
2. What is the dance's significance to playwrighting in general?
3. Which of Julie's fears does the Chorus song embody?
4. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
5. What does the canary represent in the play?
6. How critical is Strindberg?
7. What does Jean say to Julie when Julie tries to wake Christine, and why is this significant?
8. Why does Jean want to open a hotel?
9. What does Julie request of Jean when she enters the kitchen, and why is this significant?
10. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "delusion" in "Miss Julie." How do characters use it? How do they rely on it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Strindberg's views of the theater and his ideas about the nobility, theater, and social change.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Julie's character in "Miss Julie."
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)