|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean, how long has he been in love with Julie?
(a) Since her fiancé broke up with her.
(b) Since the first day he saw her.
(c) Since he was a child.
(d) Since their dance at Midsummer Eve.
2. Who is similar to Julie's mother?
(c) Julie's dog.
3. Who is Jean engaged to?
(a) No one.
4. What instrument does the band leader play?
5. In which of the following countries does Strindberg set the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julie respond when Jean replies to her in French?
2. What food does Christine fix for Jean?
3. In Scene 2, what does Julie ask Jean to do with his clothes?
4. During the era in which Strindberg wrote, what did most playwrights focus on?
5. Strindberg openly criticized what for its closed mindedness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jean's feelings toward Julie change in the fourth scene?
2. Why does Jean compare Julie to her mother, and how is this significant?
3. What does Julie order Jean to do when she enters the kitchen?
4. What does the chorus represent in the play?
5. What is the actress who plays Christine's stage directions and how are they significant?
6. What does Jean's dream represent?
7. How does Jean calm Julie down?
8. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
9. What might Christine be thinking about Jean in Pantomime?
10. Why doesn't Strindberg use "acts" and intermissions?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)