|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christine knows you can't win a man by ______.
2. Where does Jean say he is always standing in his dream?
(a) A dark forest.
(b) A house.
(c) A castle.
(d) A meadow.
3. What does Jean tell Julie about the servants in Scene 1?
(a) That they love and respect her.
(b) That they are talking behind her back.
(c) That they plan to leave the Count.
(d) That they want more pay.
4. During the pantomime, what does Christine heat with a candle?
(a) A hairpin.
(b) A glass bowl.
(c) A knife.
(d) A washcloth.
5. Why does Jean hesitate to dance with Julie?
(a) He's not polite.
(c) He doesn't like her.
(d) He's a bad dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, what does Julie ask Jean to do with his clothes?
2. What characterizes Christine and Jean's interactions while they're alone?
3. What does Christine put on the table when Miss Julie and Jean leave the kitchen?
4. What key thing is missing from Christine and Jean's engagement?
5. Strindberg is a playwright in the _______ century.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jean grow impatient with Julie's intoxicated pleas for help for her situation?
2. What do Christine's actions say about her?
3. Describe the final scene.
4. Why does Strindberg employ a pantomime?
5. How does Jean convince Julie to run away with him?
6. Why does Jean tell Julie, "The pack is always cowardly"?
7. What do Julie and Christine talk about when they are alone?
8. During the Ballet, is this uncharacteristic behavior of the servants?
9. What does Julie's behavior toward Jean indicate about her own sense of power?
10. What does Julie tell Jean regarding her mother and her relationship with her father?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)