Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
(c) The Count.
(d) Miss Julie.
2. What county is "Miss Julie" set in?
3. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
4. What kind of dream does Julie tell Jean she has in Scene 2?
(a) A recurring one.
(b) A pleasant one.
(c) A strange one.
(d) A frightening one.
5. What does Miss Julie dance with the peasants?
(a) A cancan.
(b) She doesn't dance.
(c) A polka.
(d) A lady's waltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 1 take place?
2. According to Christine, why does she go along with Julie's behavior toward Jean in Scene 1?
3. In Scene 2, why is Julie excited when she enters the kitchen?
4. What is Christine's occupation?
5. What is Christine doing at the beginning of the first scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Julie upset with Jean in the fourth scene?
2. What kind of relationship did the Countess have with her husband? What can we infer about her demise?
3. Why does Julie want to take a canary with her?
4. How does Jean try to manipulate both Julie and Christine?
5. What did Strindberg want modern theatre to do?
6. Instead of leaving for Lake Como, what solution does Jean offer Julie? How does Julie respond?
7. What characterizes the stage detail in Scene 1?
8. What kind of music is playing during the pantomime? How does it situate the play historically?
9. Why did Strindberg want the audience to shoulder the pity for Miss Julie?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)