|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the image of dirty sleeves and clean buttons refer to?
(b) Miss Julie's mother.
(d) The Count.
2. Why did Miss Julie's mother not want to marry?
(a) She enjoyed her freedom.
(b) She hated men.
(c) She wanted to stay with her father.
(d) She was not religious.
3. Why does Miss Julie use a riding whip on her fiancé?
(a) For fun.
(b) She was drunk.
(c) To train him.
(d) He told her to.
4. What are the peasants doing as they approach the kitchen?
5. What does Julie ask Jean about the language he is speaking in Scene 2?
(a) If he can teach her.
(b) If he speaks it to Christine.
(c) Where he learned to speak it.
(d) How long he has spoken it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Julie want to do after finishing Jean's story?
2. What is Christine's occupation?
3. Jean observes that Miss Julie is acting _____.
4. What was Miss Julie wearing when Jean saw her for the first time?
5. During the pantomime, Christine's thoughts are __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine do with a hairpin that also lends insight into her character?
2. How is Miss Julie "too stuck-up in some ways and not proud enough in others?"
3. What does Strindberg think are the reasons Miss Julie decided to kill herself?
4. Why does Jean want to leave immediately?
5. What is Jean's true motive for sleeping with Julie?
6. How do Christine and Miss Julie compare in relationships?
7. What would be the effect of a relationship between Julie and Jean?
8. Why does it give Jean satisfaction to realize, "It is the glitter of brass, not gold, that dazzles us from below"?
9. Describe Jean's and Christine's behavior in the kitchen and what it says about their relationship.
10. Why is the Chorus singing this song?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)