|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean climb in his dream?
(a) A cliff.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A tree.
(d) A church.
2. What does Jean want from Miss Julie?
3. What is Jean trying to get to in his dream?
(a) A nest of golden eggs.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A glass of water.
(d) A star.
4. What will be Julie's role at the hotel?
(a) A lady of the hotel.
(b) A musician.
(c) A seller.
(d) An executive.
5. What is Christine's occupation?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A cook.
(c) A company for Miss Julie.
(d) A servicewoman.
Short Answer Questions
1. August Strindberg wrote in the _____century.
2. Julie calls Jean a ______.
3. What is on the left of the old clock?
4. According to Strindberg, who should shoulder the feelings his characters provoke in the play?
5. Which of the following does Christine serve to Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine do while Jean and Julie go out dancing?
2. What characterized playwrights of Strindberg's time?
3. What reason does Julie give Jean about why she became engaged to the lieutenant governor and her feelings toward men in general that is significant?
4. What is the dance's significance to playwrighting in general?
5. Are Miss Julie and Jean playful people?
6. Why doesn't Strindberg use "acts" and intermissions?
7. What does Christine do with a hairpin that also lends insight into her character?
8. How does Christine respond to Julie's flirtatious behavior toward Jean, and what does it indicate about Christine's position?
9. Why does Jean tell Julie, "The pack is always cowardly"?
10. How does Strindberg's interest in social ascent become a major theme in "Miss Julie"?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)