|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean say Miss Julie can smell?
2. What does Jean carry into the kitchen?
(b) A hat.
(d) Some papers.
3. Why is Miss Julie currently unhappy?
(a) Her dog recently died.
(b) Her brother recently died.
(c) She lost her job.
(d) She broke off her engagement.
4. What stands on the left of the window?
(a) A pay phone.
(b) A table with a few chairs.
(c) A cutlery cupboard.
(d) A stove with flowers.
5. What does Miss Julie want to do after finishing Jean's story?
(a) Talk to her friends.
(b) Sit by the lake.
(c) Fall asleep.
(d) Dance the Waltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Strindberg not use intermissions?
2. How does Miss Julie say she feels when she speaks to Jean about their situation?
3. What language do Jean and Miss Julie speak together?
4. Who is similar to Julie's mother?
5. Where is Jean during the pantomime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final scene.
2. Why does Strindberg employ a pantomime?
3. Why does Jean insist to Julie that there must be formality between them, and what does this signify?
4. What does Jean say is the only option open to them?
5. Do Miss Julie and Jean have the same objective in running away together?
6. Why did Strindberg not use acts?
7. In addition to cleaning the kitchen, what else does Christine do to the kitchen that provides insight into how she feels about her position as a cook?
8. What would be the effect of a relationship between Julie and Jean?
9. What does Julie need to accomplish to have a peaceful life?
10. What does Jean admit he lied to Julie about regarding his story of the oat bin? What does the true story reveal about Julie?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)