|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of the play does Strindberg NOT describe in detail?
(b) Surrounding activity.
2. During the era in which Strindberg wrote, what did most playwrights focus on?
3. What does Christine believe Jean's motive is in dancing and flirting with Julie in Scene 1?
(a) To get revenge on the Count.
(b) To marry Julie.
(c) To save his job.
(d) To save Christine's job.
4. What kind of capital does Jean say he has?
(c) A beautiful woman.
5. What language do Jean and Miss Julie speak together?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say she is standing on top of in her dream?
2. Jean pretends to be ______.
3. What does Jean want to do after finishing his story?
4. Strindberg openly criticized what for its closed mindedness?
5. What kind of clothes is Jean wearing in Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean whisper in Julie's ear, and what does it signify?
2. How does Christine respond to Julie's flirtatious behavior toward Jean, and what does it indicate about Christine's position?
3. What do Julie and Christine talk about when they are alone?
4. Describe the final scene.
5. What kind of imagery does Jean employ in recalling the stories of his youth when he first spied Miss Julie in her white dress and stockings?
6. Why does Jean tell Julie that he is her "real, genuine, and respectful friend"? What is his tone?
7. What does Julie request of Jean when she enters the kitchen, and why is this significant?
8. Why does Strindberg reveal so much in the preface?
9. How do Christine and Miss Julie compare in relationships?
10. Why does Jean think it is not safe for him and Julie to be seen together?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)