|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose money paid for the new house?
(b) Miss Julie's mother's.
(c) Mother's friend's.
(d) Father's friend's.
2. Where did Jean learn to tell stories?
(a) At school.
(b) From his grandfather.
(c) From novels and plays.
(d) From his father.
3. What do Jean and Christine find odd about the company Julie keeps?
(a) Julie's preference for the servants over her family.
(b) Julie's disregard for her peers.
(c) Julie's preference for her family over her peers.
(d) Julie's disregard for the servants.
4. Why does Julie want to dance with Jean?
(a) She wants to hurt Christine.
(b) She wants to gain popularity.
(c) She has feelings for him.
(d) He's the best dancer.
5. What does Christine do during the pantomime?
(a) Sleeps and cleans.
(b) Sings and dresses.
(c) Hums and sleeps.
(d) Hums and cleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jean convinced of in terms of his class position?
2. What was a reflection of society at the time, according to Strindberg?
3. What does Jean say she is standing on top of in her dream?
4. Publishing his plays earns Strindberg a great deal of ______.
5. What key thing is missing from Christine and Jean's engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this scene show that both Julie and Jean struggle with?
2. Why did Strindberg want the actors to improvise?
3. How does Christine respond to Julie's flirtatious behavior toward Jean, and what does it indicate about Christine's position?
4. What does Julie tell happened to the estate when she was a child that led to the big fire?
5. Why does Jean change his mind about leaving for Lake Como with Julie?
6. Describe the setting and its significance as the play opens.
7. What is Jean's true motive for sleeping with Julie?
8. What was special about Strindberg's writing in his time?
9. How does Strindberg suggest that Julie kill herself?
10. How does Jean calm Julie down?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)