|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Strindberg's plays offer to playwrighting?
(a) He influences plays to be more romantic.
(b) He introduces sci-fi.
(c) He pushes playwrighting into modernity.
(d) He influences plays to be shorter.
2. What does Julie tell Jean she is doing in her dream?
(a) She is climbing down a column and can't get back up.
(b) She has climbed to the top of a mountain and can't get back down.
(c) She is climbing down a mountain and can't get back up.
(d) She has climbed to the top of a pillar and can't get back down.
3. How does Miss Julie say she feels when she speaks to Jean about their situation?
(a) Like she's flying.
(b) Like she's falling down.
(c) Like she she wants to be sick.
(d) Like she's in paradise.
4. Why does Julie want to dance with Jean?
(a) She wants to hurt Christine.
(b) He's the best dancer.
(c) She has feelings for him.
(d) She wants to gain popularity.
5. Where does Miss Julie ask Jean to kiss her?
(a) On the head.
(b) On the cheek.
(c) On the shoe.
(d) On the glove.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the era in which Strindberg wrote, what did most playwrights focus on?
2. Who is Christine cooking dinner for in Scene 1?
3. What about Jean is Christine contemplating?
4. Where does Jean say she wants to go in her dream?
5. Christine knows you can't win a man by ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the canary represent in the play?
2. Why does Jean think it is not safe for him and Julie to be seen together?
3. Where does Jean say he learned to speak French so well?
4. What does Christine think is happening between Jean and Julie?
5. What does Jean say to Julie when Julie tries to wake Christine, and why is this significant?
6. Why does Jean insist to Julie that there must be formality between them, and what does this signify?
7. What is the purpose of the preface?
8. What is the symbolism of Miss Julie's mothers' dirty sleeves and clean buttons?
9. What does Strindberg think are the reasons Miss Julie decided to kill herself?
10. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)