|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Strindberg NOT use in his plays?
2. The pantomime reveals that Christine is ____________.
3. How does Julie convince Jean to dance?
(a) She tells him class doesn't matter tonight.
(b) She pays him.
(c) She forces him.
(d) She guilts him.
4. What does Miss Julie say her father educated her to be?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A maid.
(c) A boy.
(d) A girl.
5. Jean confesses that he thinks Miss Julie is ______.
(b) A werewolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie ask Jean about the language he is speaking in Scene 2?
2. What profession does Julie think Jean should have pursued?
3. According to Strindberg, what cause is NOT attributable to Julie's suicide?
4. What does Christine put on the table when Miss Julie and Jean leave the kitchen?
5. What does Jean want to do in Switzerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean tell Christine he witnessed Julie and her fiancé doing in the stableyard and how is it significant?
2. Why does Strindberg claim that the problem of social ascent is a suitable matter for tragedy?
3. What does Julie order Jean to do when she enters the kitchen?
4. What does Julie tell happened to the estate when she was a child that led to the big fire?
5. What does Christine think is happening between Jean and Julie?
6. Why do Jean and Christine think Miss Julie is both upper and lower class?
7. How does Jean react when Julie asks him to kiss him?
8. Why does Strindberg state that his play will offend simple souls?
9. What does the canary represent in the play?
10. Why does Jean think it is not safe for him and Julie to be seen together?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)