|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. People in Strindberg's time do not see ______ as positive.
2. Which of the following sentences does Jean have to say to persuade Miss Jean to sleep with him?
(a) I've got a surprise.
(b) I love you.
(c) Could you come with me?
(d) I will do everything for you.
3. Where is Julie during the pantomime?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) Visiting the Count in the city.
(d) At the Midsummer Eve celebration.
4. Miss Julie is the daughter of a ________.
5. What instrument is playing during the pantomime?
6. What is on the left of the old clock?
(a) Some photos.
(b) A bild.
(c) Some books.
(d) A telephone.
7. What does Jean tell Julie he wants to do in his dream?
(a) Swim to the other side where he is safe.
(b) Find the end where he can escape.
(c) Get to the top to plunder the bird's nest.
(d) Climb to the bottom where the ground is cool.
8. In which of the following periods does Strindberg set the play?
(a) The end of the 18th century.
(b) The end of the 19th century.
(c) The beginning of the 19th century.
(d) The beginning of the 20th century.
9. According to Christine and Jean, why did Julie and her fiancé break up?
(a) Because her fiancé is in love with Christine.
(b) Because her fiancé wanted to control her.
(c) Because Julie wanted to control him.
(d) Because Julie is in love with Jean.
10. What is Strindberg's aim in disclosing so much in the preface?
(a) To pass the time.
(b) To stress its importance.
(c) To stress its uselessness.
(d) Give audience something to ponder.
11. What does Christine believe Jean's motive is in dancing and flirting with Julie in Scene 1?
(a) To get revenge on the Count.
(b) To save his job.
(c) To marry Julie.
(d) To save Christine's job.
12. In Scene 1, what does Julie choose to believe about the world in which she lives?
(a) What her peers want her to see.
(b) What her father wants her to see.
(c) What she wants to see.
(d) What the servants want her to see.
13. What is Christine waiting for in Pantomime?
(a) Jean and Julie to return.
(b) An important letter.
(c) Her other boyfriend.
(d) A miracle.
14. What is Christine's demeanor in Pantomime?
15. At the end of the pantomime, who enters the scene?
(a) The Count.
(c) The Countess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say he has promised to Christine when Julie enters the kitchen in Scene 1?
2. During the pantomime, what does Christine do to act as though she were by herself?
3. How did Miss Julie's father try to kill himself?
4. At the end of the pantomime, how does Christine greet the person who enters?
5. What is Strindberg's attitude in the preface?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)