|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Strindberg want to expand in theater performance?
(a) Acting and accompaniment.
(b) Topics and themes.
(c) Length and structure.
(d) Costume and design.
2. Who does the Count leave Julie with as the play opens?
(b) No one.
(d) Business associates.
3. Who is Jean engaged to?
(d) No one.
4. What did Strindberg NOT use in his plays?
5. What kind of capital does Jean say he has?
(b) A beautiful woman.
6. Which of the following cities does Jean want to travel through before they arrive in Switzerland?
(a) Frankfurt and Paris.
(b) Oslo and Frankfurt.
(c) Malmö and Frankfurt.
(d) Malmö and Hamburg.
7. What is Strindberg's opinion of the theater?
(a) It's too close-minded.
(b) Movies are better.
(c) They are poorly run.
(d) It's too liberal.
8. What does Christine see on the table during the pantomime?
(a) A letter.
(b) A gift.
(c) A glove.
(d) A handkerchief.
9. How does Julie act towards men?
(a) She's indifferent.
(b) She tries to dominate them.
(c) She is very ingratiating.
(d) She's rude to them.
10. Which member of Miss Julie's family was ill during her childhood?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her sister.
11. According to Jean, where did his father work?
(a) A countryside school.
(b) The county attorney's property.
(c) The Count's nearby estate.
(d) A government building.
12. In which of the following countries does Jean want to decorate himself like an Earl?
13. What does Jean tell Julie about the servants in Scene 1?
(a) That they want more pay.
(b) That they love and respect her.
(c) That they are talking behind her back.
(d) That they plan to leave the Count.
14. What did Miss Julie's father try to do when he heard his wife was responsible for burning down their house?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Move out.
(d) Commit suicide.
15. How did Miss Julie's father try to kill himself?
(a) Drown himself.
(b) Slit his wrists.
(c) Shoot himself.
(d) Jump from a window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Miss Julie currently unhappy?
2. What tactic does Jean use in Scene 1 in his relationship with Christine and Julie?
3. What does Miss Julie say her father educated her to be?
4. Strindberg openly criticized what for its closed mindedness?
5. Why does Jean hesitate to dance with Julie?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)