|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julie command Jean to do when she enters the kitchen in Scene 1?
(a) To dance with her.
(b) To dine with her.
(c) To leave her.
(d) To play music for her.
2. In Scene 2, Jean tells Julie that his father worked as a _________.
3. When did Jean see Miss Julie for the first time?
(a) In his childhood.
(b) 2 months ago.
(c) In his teenage years.
(d) 2 years ago.
4. Which member of Miss Julie's family was ill during her childhood?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her brother.
5. Who does the image of dirty sleeves and clean buttons refer to?
(a) The Count.
(c) Miss Julie's mother.
6. What was a reflection of society at the time, according to Strindberg?
(a) A need to humiliate those in power.
(b) A need to compensate for one's privilege.
(c) A need to feel bad for the less fortunate.
(d) A need to take pleasure from someone else's pain.
7. What does Julie disregard in Scene 1 regarding Jean and Christine?
(a) That they are engaged.
(b) That they dislike her company.
(c) That they are too busy to entertain her.
(d) That they want her to leave.
8. Publishing his plays earns Strindberg a great deal of ______.
9. Which of the following characters is 30-years-old?
(a) Miss Julie.
(c) The Count.
10. People in Strindberg's time do not see ______ as positive.
11. During the pantomime, what does the audience have to interpret?
(a) What the Count is thinking.
(b) What Jean is thinking.
(c) What Christine is thinking.
(d) What Julie is thinking.
12. What does Jean put on the table to symbolize that he does not want anything to bind him?
(a) A coin.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A bottle of water.
(d) A cup of tea.
13. What does Jean say she is standing on top of in her dream?
(a) A church roof.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A column.
(d) A tower.
14. When Christine sits, what does she do?
(a) Curls her hair.
(c) Write a letter.
(d) Makes a phone call.
15. Where does Jean learn to speak French?
(b) In school.
(c) In jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Julie feel after her engagement has been broken off?
2. How does Jean think he and Miss Julie should kill themselves?
3. What does Jean say he feels towards Christine?
4. What does Strindberg NOT divide the scenes with?
5. Which of the following words describes how Christine and Jean are talking about Miss Julie?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)