|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special gift did May save for a long time to get for Ob?
2. When Summer thought about the word "gardened," what color roses did she imagine someone was picking?
3. What cover the earflaps on Cletus' hat?
4. Who in Cletus' family had just died when Cletus drowned?
5. What was the name of the dog that Cletus saw when he drowned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Ob give for wanting to go on a trip?
2. Why did May used to laugh about moving to Deep Water, West Virginia?
3. Why does Summer compare herself and the others to characters from "The Wizard of Oz"?
4. How did most people in Fayette County speak of being in their gardens, and what images did that bring to mind?
5. Why does Summer believe that Ob talks about May in the garden?
6. How did the three travelers find the church?
7. Describe the old car that Ob sat in after May died.
8. What is the spiritualist church that Cletus mentions?
9. Why is Cletus the perfect consoler?
10. Why doesn't Ob want to go find another psychic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ob wants Cletus help him get in touch with May. Discuss what Ob wants Cletus to do, and the reasons why Cletus may or may not be able to do the job.
Essay Topic 2
Summer comments that she and Ob are not strong now that May is gone. Discuss how Summer and Ob deal with May's death.
Essay Topic 3
Ob persuades the Underwoods to allow Cletus to go on the trip to the spiritualist church. Discuss how Ob persuades the Underwoods to allow Cletus to go on the trip and whether Ob stretches the truth.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)