|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once things settle down with Two Down, who is Ray left alone to talk to?
2. Why do Concorde and Ray's father lose the first round?
3. What does Dannie do with her free time after The Bet is over?
4. Before she leaves, what does Madeline give to Ray?
5. How does Madeline react when she finds out about Ray's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Thud come up with to help Two Down instead of kidnapping?
2. What does Ray do that he hopes will convince Two Down to drop the kidnapping plan?
3. How do things end for Ray and Dannie?
4. Describe the atmosphere at Ponky after the match is over as related in the Epilogue.
5. Why does Madeline get angry and leave Madeline's apartment?
6. When Thud comes back with photos of Concorde's affair, what do the Chops realize about the "mistress," and what do they decide to do about the information?
7. What does Dannie tell Ray that is critical when the two are discussing Dannie's relationship with Browning? Why is this significant?
8. What is the challenge that gets Two Down in trouble, and how does it end at the golf course?
9. After Ray's father continues to invite him to play golf, what does Ray's father express an interest in buying? What does Ray realize are his father's motives for wanting to play golf together?
10. What change does the reader see in Hoover when he distracts Ray's father with talk about seeing his own shadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the topic of this book? What is the theme? Where in the book is the theme most clear? How does the author support the development of the theme throughout the book? List specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What narration in the latter part of the novel indicates that Ray has reached a new level of introspection and is going beyond simple storytelling? What analysis does Ray do in this chapter of himself? Of his father? How does his introspection affect the plot and Ray's decision to end the match in a tie?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses dialogue throughout the text to develop each character. What is revealed specifically through dialogue about the following characters: Ray, Two Down, Ray's father, and Dannie.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)