|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mood is Crowbar in when he approaches Two Down in Chapter 21?
2. Where will the golf match planned in Chapter 19 take place?
3. What do the Numerals and the Chops do once they are all together?
4. What determines who will win The Bet?
5. What does Dannie do with her free time after The Bet is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dannie tell Ray that is critical when the two are discussing Dannie's relationship with Browning? Why is this significant?
2. When Thud comes back with photos of Concorde's affair, what do the Chops realize about the "mistress," and what do they decide to do about the information?
3. What plan does Thud come up with to help Two Down instead of kidnapping?
4. When Two Down tells Ray of the "double or nothing" golf match against Concorde to get himself out of trouble, Ray initially refuses to be Two Down's partner. What makes Ray change his mind?
5. What does Ray do that he hopes will convince Two Down to drop the kidnapping plan?
6. Describe what happens when Dannie arrives at The Mayflower Club with Browning.
7. What is the one solution Ray proposes for Two Down's problem that Two Down takes seriously?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 24, what does Ray's father offer him? What does Ray do?
9. What does Ray learn about Madeline from her letter.
10. Who serves as Ray's father's caddy during the first half of the match at Ponky, and what surprises Ray about his father's caddy during the second half?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authors sometimes use a first person narrator to provide bias that wouldn't be possible through a third person omniscient narrator. Describe Ray's bias in relation to the past events he recalls throughout the book and how that bias might represent the author's attitude toward the topic and theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses dialogue throughout the text to develop each character. What is revealed specifically through dialogue about the following characters: Ray, Two Down, Ray's father, and Dannie.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 8, how motivated does Ray seem to be to win The Bet? Given his failure at the end of the chapter, how motivated do you think he really was? Do the conflict and the flashback help move Ray closer to winning The Bet? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)