|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray also remembers his Uncle Joe, who had been Ray's most ardent supporter, and a special golf club that Uncle Joe had given him. The club had once been used by ____________.
2. In a game between Hoover and Two Down in Chapter 2, what distracts Hoover and causes him to lose his bet?
3. What is Dannie's background?
4. Whom does Ray see from a distance one day at The Mayflower Club?
5. Ponky is described as "possibly the ___________ golf course in America."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dannie's second plan to win The Bet, and what happens when she attempts it?
2. Briefly describe Ray's family history.
3. What does Ray remember as one of the most elaborate pranks he and Two Down played in high school?
4. What did Ray do to try to get back into professional golf the season after his uncle's and brother's deaths? Did it work?
5. What is Ray's second plan to win The Bet, described in Chapter 9?
6. What is ironic about the location of Ponky and The Mayflower Club?
7. What is the dynamic between Ray and Madeline by the end of Chapter 12?
8. What are some of the similarities seen in Chapter 3 between each golf course and its respective members?
9. Briefly describe Two Down's plan to win The Bet described in Chapter 7 and why it fails.
10. Briefly describe the details of Dannie's first plan to win The Bet and why it fails.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the locket represent? In what ways is it more effective to include the locket as a symbol rather than explicitly state its meaning? What importance does it have in the novel? Why did the author choose that symbol?
Essay Topic 2
Ray and his father are contrasted throughout the novel, but there are certain similarities between them. Compare and contrast the two characters in terms of motivation,character traits, and character interaction.
Essay Topic 3
The mood of the text varies from chapter to chapter, but there are overall consistencies that are established by the settings and events. How do the events and settings of the novel affect the mood of the text overall?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)