|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the terms of The Bet established in Chapter 2?
2. In a game between Hoover and Two Down in Chapter 2, what distracts Hoover and causes him to lose his bet?
3. The Bet was agreed upon by ______________.
4. Who spends the most time looking at The Mayflower Club?
5. What happens between Ray and Madeline during Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Ray is on his way to apply for the caddy job, how does he describe his golf background and his Uncle Joe's role in his life?
2. What effect does The Bet have on the atmosphere at Ponky?
3. Briefly describe Two Down's second plan to win The Bet, described in Chapter 13.
4. Describe Two Down's attitude toward betting.
5. What happens in Chapter 14 when Two Down attempts to play as Bingsley Colchester?
6. What term do the Chops use for members of The Mayflower Club and why?
7. What happens with the flirting between Ray and Madeline in Chapter 13?
8. What does Ray remember as one of the most elaborate pranks he and Two Down played in high school?
9. Briefly describe the details of Dannie's first plan to win The Bet and why it fails.
10. Among the Chops, who is more of a leader at Ponky in the first two chapters, Ray or Two Down? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses dialogue throughout the text to develop each character. What is revealed specifically through dialogue about the following characters: Ray, Two Down, Ray's father, and Dannie.
Essay Topic 2
Ray and his father are contrasted throughout the novel, but there are certain similarities between them. Compare and contrast the two characters in terms of motivation,character traits, and character interaction.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author create suspense to keep the reader interested? What are the events that contribute to a feeling of suspense? What effect do they have on the reader? Is the reader's curiosity satisfied by the end of the novel?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)