|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ray remembers back to his start in golfing, he describes giving up admission to Harvard to pursue golf at which university?
2. When Ray reveals that he hasn't been completely honest with Madeline, this is an example of _________.
3. Who came up with the idea for The Bet?
4. Who surprises Ray when Ray sees him working at The Mayflower Club?
5. What does Two Down decide to do in order to secure a match at The Mayflower Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Ray's family history.
2. Briefly describe Two Down's second plan to win The Bet, described in Chapter 13.
3. What term do the Chops use for members of The Mayflower Club and why?
4. What did Ray do to try to get back into professional golf the season after his uncle's and brother's deaths? Did it work?
5. Describe the two tragic events that took Ray away from professional golf.
6. Which character is the most obsessed with looking at The Mayflower Club and why?
7. What effect does The Bet have on the atmosphere at Ponky?
8. Why is Thud, an ex-con, chosen to hold the money for The bet?
9. To whom was Ray once married, and what happened to their marriage?
10. What is Ray's third plan to win The Bet, and what happens when he attempts it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the topic of this book? What is the theme? Where in the book is the theme most clear? How does the author support the development of the theme throughout the book? List specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What does the locket represent? In what ways is it more effective to include the locket as a symbol rather than explicitly state its meaning? What importance does it have in the novel? Why did the author choose that symbol?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses dialogue throughout the text to develop each character. What is revealed specifically through dialogue about the following characters: Ray, Two Down, Ray's father, and Dannie.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)