|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Ray and Madeline during Chapter 13?
2. What is the amount wagered for The Bet?
3. How did Ray's father respond to Travis' illness?
4. Why does Two Down's first plan fail?
5. Who is the owner of Ponky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the similarities seen in Chapter 3 between each golf course and its respective members?
2. To whom was Ray once married, and what happened to their marriage?
3. Why does Ray lose his job at The Mayflower Club?
4. Briefly describe Ray's family history.
5. What sort of abuse does Ray describe in Chapter 6 when discussing his father?
6. What is the dynamic between Ray and Madeline by the end of Chapter 12?
7. What does Ray remember as one of the most elaborate pranks he and Two Down played in high school?
8. Why is Thud, an ex-con, chosen to hold the money for The bet?
9. Describe the two tragic events that took Ray away from professional golf.
10. Who are the two people who catch Ray's attention most when he first starts working at The Mayflower Club, and what is each person doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What statement does the author make by including such blatant racism in the novel? What is his motivation for making this social commentary? What effect do you think he hopes to have on his audience? Write about your reaction to the social commentary made by the author. Support your opinions by including details from the text and examples from your own observation or experience.
Essay Topic 2
What is the topic of this book? What is the theme? Where in the book is the theme most clear? How does the author support the development of the theme throughout the book? List specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Ray and his father are contrasted throughout the novel, but there are certain similarities between them. Compare and contrast the two characters in terms of motivation,character traits, and character interaction.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)