|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thud re-establish order in Chapter 23?
(a) Brandishes a pistol.
(b) Literally throws people off the course.
(c) Makes verbal threats.
(d) Removes Two Down from the course.
2. What does Ray jokingly suggest as a solution for Two Down's trouble?
(a) Kidnapping Concorde.
(b) Catching Concorde at cheaing.
(c) Putting a horse's head in Concorde's bed.
(d) Killing Concorde.
3. Why does Chunkin' Charlie stop going to Ponky much anymore?
(a) He is mad at Ray.
(b) He is too ill.
(c) He confesses he never liked golf.
(d) He is too busy with work.
4. How does Ray respond to Madeline's reaction to his plan?
(a) He gets drunk and tries to make up with her.
(b) He ransacks her apartment.
(c) He leaves her.
(d) He also falls more in love with her.
5. Once things settle down with Two Down, who is Ray left alone to talk to?
(b) His father.
(d) Chunkin' Charlie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Concorde bring with him to Two Down's house in Chapter 19?
2. How does Ray convince Two Down that everything will be alright?
3. Two Down was threatened with getting fired, a recall on his home loan, and ________________.
4. How much does the winner of The Bet walk away with?
5. What is the idea in Chapter 19, which Two Down shares with Ray, to get himself out of trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madeline get angry and leave Madeline's apartment?
2. What does Ray do that he hopes will convince Two Down to drop the kidnapping plan?
3. When Crowbar arrives at the match, what does he reveal about Two Down?
4. When Two Down tells Ray of the "double or nothing" golf match against Concorde to get himself out of trouble, Ray initially refuses to be Two Down's partner. What makes Ray change his mind?
5. Describe what Ray learns from other Numerals and from Madeline with only one round left to play in the match.
6. What does Dannie tell Ray that is critical when the two are discussing Dannie's relationship with Browning? Why is this significant?
7. What might be Ray's motivation for intentionally committing a violation in the last round, forcing the match to end in a tie?
8. Describe what happens when Dannie arrives at The Mayflower Club with Browning.
9. What is the one solution Ray proposes for Two Down's problem that Two Down takes seriously?
10. What threat do Concorde and the Slavic man make against Two Down?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)