|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason Fletcher doesn't want to hire Ray?
(a) Fletcher and Ray do not get along well.
(b) Ray has a criminal background.
(c) Ray's father gave him a poor reference.
(d) Ray is white.
2. Which character is entrusted to hold The Bet participants' wagers?
(a) Chunkin' Charlie.
3. Which friendship/relationship goes bad first because of The Bet?
(a) Dannie and Hoover.
(b) Ray and Dannie.
(c) Ray and Two Down.
(d) Two Down and Dannie.
4. What sets Dannie apart from the other Chops?
(a) She doesn't want to set aside her honesty & integrity to win.
(b) She is creative with her strategies.
(c) She is the most scrupulous.
(d) She is willing to use people to win.
5. Where does Two Down work that gives him the ability to do research for The Bet?
(a) The police department.
(c) The local newspaper.
(d) The phone company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray refers to his father as a "part-time ________________."
2. To whom is Ray assigned at The Mayflower Club that he manages to escape working for?
3. What does Ray remember about his father?
4. Why do the other Chops not involved in The Bet become resentful toward The Bet?
5. Which character is battling cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray remember as one of the most elaborate pranks he and Two Down played in high school?
2. Briefly describe Ray's plan to win The Bet in Chapter 8 and why it fails.
3. Which character is the most obsessed with looking at The Mayflower Club and why?
4. Why is Thud, an ex-con, chosen to hold the money for The bet?
5. What are some of the similarities seen in Chapter 3 between each golf course and its respective members?
6. What is Dannie's second plan to win The Bet, and what happens when she attempts it?
7. What happens in Chapter 14 when Two Down attempts to play as Bingsley Colchester?
8. Why does Ray lose his job at The Mayflower Club?
9. What is ironic about the location of Ponky and The Mayflower Club?
10. What is the dynamic between Ray and Madeline by the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)