|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ray states that The Bet ruined his friendships, caused two women to leave him, and ____________.
(a) Ended the happiest time of his life.
(b) Started his downward spiral.
(c) Nearly killed him.
(d) Brought him to bankruptcy.
2. What realization prompts Ray's first attempt at winning The Bet?
(a) There are no security guards at The Mayflower Club.
(b) Ray can sneak into the club in his father's car.
(c) The time of day was not stipulated.
(d) Ray can ask his father for access.
3. What was Ray's father's solution for Travis' illness?
(a) Quit his job to care for Travis.
(b) Ignore it.
(c) Psychiatric hospital.
(d) Experimental new therapies.
4. Whom does Dannie try to con in her second attempt?
(a) Captain Consodine Roberts.
(b) William Davenport Hart.
(c) Browning Sumner.
(d) Stone Concorde.
5. Which person is integral to Dannie's first plan to win The Bet?
(a) Blue Chao.
(b) Captain Roberts.
(d) Dr. Dingsby.
6. What does Ray say his father believed was necessary for success?
(a) "Want to."
(d) Family support.
7. How does Hoover react to losing the bet with Two Down?
(a) Walks away.
(b) Hits the hedge and puts a hole in it.
(c) Throws his club into the lake.
(d) Hits Two Down.
8. What is the outcome of Ray's third attempt?
(a) Ray ditches Madeline.
(b) He is thrown out of The Mayflower Club.
(c) His father invites him to play.
(d) He gets arrested.
9. How did Travis die?
(b) He drowned.
(c) Jumping from the car.
(d) Jumping off a bridge.
10. What is Dannie's background?
(a) Child of traveling missionaries.
(b) Rich, Italian.
(c) Poor, Southern.
(d) Rich, Boston suburb.
11. What is the security guard doing while Ray and Hoover play a match?
(a) Playing golf.
(b) There is no security guard.
(c) Playing chess.
12. Ray tells Fletcher that his name is _____________.
(a) Ray Hart.
(b) Ray Palmer.
(c) Joe Nicklaus.
(d) Carl Spackler.
13. Who came up with the idea for The Bet?
(d) Two Down.
14. What does Hoover do for a living?
(c) Scientist at MIT.
(d) College Student.
15. What did Ray and Two Down steal in high school?
(a) The principal's car.
(b) Baby Jesus figures.
(c) Their high school's mascot.
(d) A dozen donuts from a bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for the incident Ray mentions between his father and mother?
2. What does Ray remember about his father?
3. Why does Dannie's plan fail?
4. What do Ray and Madeline notice they have in common?
5. What were the terms of The Bet established in Chapter 2?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)