|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
2. How old was Elain when she won the beauty contest?
3. Where does Elain's family live?
4. What caused Carnelle's aunt to die?
5. What is the name of the town that Carnelle lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
2. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
3. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
4. Why does Carnelle turn down Mac Sam's invitation?
5. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
6. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
7. Why do Delmount and Elain discuss the negative impact their mother had on their lives?
8. Why is Delmount in a good mood when he arrives at the pageant?
9. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
10. How does Carnelle show that she will not let others dictate her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the effects of each character's childhood, based on what you know about them? How does their childhood still affect their adult life?
Essay Topic 2
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
What causes Carnelle to suffer embarrassment? What effect does it have on her?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)