|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character retires to bed with a headache?
2. Which of the following does Delmount want to study?
3. What did Delmount once injure a man with?
4. What does Popeye see that causes her to fall in love with Delmount?
5. How many children did Carnelle's aunt have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Delmount.
2. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
3. What motivates Carnelle to win the contest after Delmount visits?
4. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
5. How does Carnelle show that she will not let others dictate her life?
6. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
7. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
8. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
9. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
10. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the effects of each character's childhood, based on what you know about them? How does their childhood still affect their adult life?
Essay Topic 3
What role does comic relief play in the story? What is the purpose of it?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)