|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is considered wealthy?
2. Which character has spent time in jail and a mental institution?
3. Which character attended a junior college?
4. What does Popeye see that causes her to fall in love with Delmount?
5. What is the one thing that gives Carnelle prestige?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carnelle turn down Mac Sam's invitation?
2. Which characters are on a quest for love?
3. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
4. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
5. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
6. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
7. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
8. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
9. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
10. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the play and analyze him or her. Consider actions, motivations, and the way the character relates with the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the secondary characters in the play? What role do the secondary characters play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does each of the main characters seek redemption? How do they achieve redemption, if they do?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)