|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Carnelle?
2. Where does Carnelle work?
3. Who tells Elain that Popeye loves Delmount?
4. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
5. What type of dialect is used in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carnelle's goal in the play? Why does she have this goal?
2. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
3. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
4. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
5. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
6. What does the pageant symbolize?
7. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
8. What are Elain's fears?
9. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
10. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the secondary characters in the play? What role do the secondary characters play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Carnelle experience a reversal of fortune? How does it change her outlook, or does it?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)