|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
2. What is the name of the beauty contest?
3. Which character shows the most irony in the play?
4. What is Popeye's last name?
5. How old is Carnelle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Delmount.
2. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
3. What is an example of irony in the play?
4. What does Elain warn Popeye about in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
6. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
7. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
8. Why does Elain attract Mac Sam's attention to Popeye instead of herself?
9. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
10. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Carnelle experience a reversal of fortune? How does it change her outlook, or does it?
Essay Topic 2
What are the effects of each character's childhood, based on what you know about them? How does their childhood still affect their adult life?
Essay Topic 3
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)