|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
2. What is Popeye's last name?
3. With whom does Delmount agree to split the income of his mother's house?
4. How old was Carnelle when her father left her?
5. What type of dialect is used in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
2. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
3. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
4. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
5. Why does Delmount decide to watch fireworks with Popeye?
6. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
7. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
8. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
9. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
10. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the play and analyze him or her. Consider actions, motivations, and the way the character relates with the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)