Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which of the following is Carnelle a victim?
2. Which character becomes distraught with unrequited feelings?
3. What is Popeye's occupation?
4. How old is Carnelle?
5. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
2. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
3. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
4. What does the pageant symbolize?
5. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
6. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
7. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
8. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
9. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
10. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
Essay Topic 1
What role does comic relief play in the story? What is the purpose of it?
Essay Topic 2
What are the effects of each character's childhood, based on what you know about them? How does their childhood still affect their adult life?
Essay Topic 3
How is defeat a theme in the story? Which characters feel defeated and which characters defeat their problems?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)