|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
2. Which character is on a conscious quest for romantic love?
3. When Delmount arrives in the first act, what does Popeye explain to him?
4. What is the name of the beauty contest?
5. Which of the following is a theme in the play's second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
2. Why is Delmount in a good mood when he arrives at the pageant?
3. What is Carnelle's goal in the play? Why does she have this goal?
4. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
5. What does the pageant symbolize?
6. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
7. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
8. How does Carnelle show that she will not let others dictate her life?
9. Describe how Carnelle's persistence is not helpful in her life.
10. What is an example of irony in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe each character's quest for love in the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attraction between Elain and Mac Sam. What attracts them to each other? What effect does the attraction have on each character?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)