|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Act 1, Scene 1, occur?
2. How old is Carnelle?
3. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
4. On what day does Act 1, Scene 2, occur?
5. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
2. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
3. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
4. What has stopped Carnelle from being a contestant in the pageant before?
5. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
6. Describe the climax of the play.
7. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
8. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
9. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
10. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe each character's quest for love in the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does Beth Henley use Southern dialect and culture in the play? What effect does it have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are content with their lives? In what ways is happiness a theme in the story?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)