|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character retires to bed with a headache?
2. What did Delmount once injure a man with?
3. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
4. What is Popeye's last name?
5. What is the one thing that gives Carnelle prestige?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
2. What has stopped Carnelle from being a contestant in the pageant before?
3. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
4. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
5. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
6. How does Carnelle fail in the beauty pageant?
7. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
8. What are Elain's fears?
9. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
10. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Beth Henley use Southern dialect and culture in the play? What effect does it have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 2
Describe each character's quest for love in the play.
Essay Topic 3
In what way does each of the main characters seek redemption? How do they achieve redemption, if they do?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)