|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
2. What does Elain warn Popeye about?
3. Which character attended a junior college?
4. What food does Carnelle serve to Popeye in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carnelle turn down Mac Sam's invitation?
2. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
3. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
4. How is hope a theme in the play?
5. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
6. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
7. Why does Delmount decide to watch fireworks with Popeye?
8. How does Carnelle fail in the beauty pageant?
9. How is comic relief used in the play?
10. Why does Carnelle lose the pageant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the play's climax. What is the significance of the climax?
Essay Topic 3
What causes Carnelle to suffer embarrassment? What effect does it have on her?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)