|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Carnelle serve to Popeye in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What has Carnelle been searching for most of her life?
3. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's advances?
4. With whom is Delmount angry for not getting him out of trouble?
5. Which character attended a junior college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
2. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
3. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
4. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
5. What does the pageant symbolize?
6. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
7. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
8. What has been the cause of Carnelle's problems for most of her life?
9. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
10. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Carnelle to suffer embarrassment? What effect does it have on her?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are content with their lives? In what ways is happiness a theme in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are seeking their self-identity? How do they seek to find it?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)