|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Popeye's body is injured?
2. How old was Carnelle when her father left her?
3. What has Carnelle been searching for most of her life?
4. When does the play take place?
5. What is Popeye's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
2. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
3. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
4. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
5. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
6. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
7. What does Elain warn Popeye about in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
9. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
10. Which characters are on a quest for love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does each of the main characters seek redemption? How do they achieve redemption, if they do?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the play and analyze him or her. Consider actions, motivations, and the way the character relates with the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)