|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carnelle's last name?
2. What did Delmount once injure a man with?
3. Which character brings Carnelle her costume for the pageant?
4. Which character becomes distraught with unrequited feelings?
5. Where does Carnelle work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
2. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
3. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
4. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
5. How is hope a theme in the play?
6. Why does Carnelle lose the pageant?
7. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
8. What is an example of irony in the play?
9. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
10. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attraction between Elain and Mac Sam. What attracts them to each other? What effect does the attraction have on each character?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)