|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Popeye's nickname?
2. With whom is Delmount angry for not getting him out of trouble?
3. Who consoles Popeye and Carnelle?
4. With whom does Delmount agree to split the income of his mother's house?
5. Which of the following does Delmount want to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elain attract Mac Sam's attention to Popeye instead of herself?
2. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
3. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
4. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
5. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
6. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
7. What is Delmount's redemption?
8. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
9. How is comic relief used in the play?
10. What are Elain's fears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Beth Henley use Southern dialect and culture in the play? What effect does it have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)