|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Popeye's occupation?
2. In what state does the play take place?
3. What has destroyed Carnelle's spirit?
4. What is the name of Elain's husband?
5. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carnelle's goal in the play? Why does she have this goal?
2. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
3. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
4. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
5. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
6. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
7. What is an example of irony in the play?
8. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
9. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
10. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the play's climax. What is the significance of the climax?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
Essay Topic 3
How is defeat a theme in the story? Which characters feel defeated and which characters defeat their problems?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)