|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carnelle waiting for in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who is Delmount's redemption foreshadowed to be?
3. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
4. Which character is considered wealthy?
5. What does Elain bring for Carnelle to wear in the first act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
2. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
3. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
4. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
5. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
6. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
7. How is hope a theme in the play?
8. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
9. What has been the cause of Carnelle's problems for most of her life?
10. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the secondary characters in the play? What role do the secondary characters play in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
Essay Topic 3
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)