|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
2. What does Carnelle hope to gain from the beauty contest?
3. When Delmount arrives in the first act, what does Popeye explain to him?
4. What type of dialect is used in the play?
5. How old was Elain when she won the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
2. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
3. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
4. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
5. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
6. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
7. What is an example of irony in the play?
8. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
9. How does Carnelle fail in the beauty pageant?
10. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of reputation does each character have in the play? How do they seek to change this? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the statement Mac Sam makes about women needing to feel beautiful. How does this relate to the rest of the play? How is this a theme?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)