|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character attended a junior college?
2. What culture is explored in the play?
3. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the name of Elain's husband?
5. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
2. Describe the climax of the play.
3. How is comic relief used in the play?
4. Why does Carnelle turn down Mac Sam's invitation?
5. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
6. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
7. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
8. What is an example of irony in the play?
9. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
10. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe each character's quest for love in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the secondary characters in the play? What role do the secondary characters play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does each of the main characters seek redemption? How do they achieve redemption, if they do?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)