|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character retires to bed with a headache?
2. Which of the following happens to Carnelle in the play's second act?
3. How does Delmount respond to Popeye's handicap?
4. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
5. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
2. What are Elain's fears?
3. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
4. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
5. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
6. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
7. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
8. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
9. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
10. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
Essay Topic 1
What role does comic relief play in the story? What is the purpose of it?
Essay Topic 2
Of what is the beauty pageant a symbol? What characters does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Carnelle experience a reversal of fortune? How does it change her outlook, or does it?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)