|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Carnelle?
2. What did Delmount once injure a man with?
3. Which character is considered wealthy?
4. For what did Popeye once make outfits to learn to sew?
5. Which character does Delmount not approve of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
2. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
3. What are Elain's fears?
4. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
5. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
6. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
7. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
8. Why doesn't Delmount approve of Franklin?
9. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
10. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Elain to decide to go back to her husband, Franklin?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the statement Mac Sam makes about women needing to feel beautiful. How does this relate to the rest of the play? How is this a theme?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)