|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Carnelle?
2. Which character is on a conscious quest for romantic love?
3. Who did Carnelle's aunt leave her house to when she died?
4. How does Elain's husband feel about her?
5. With whom is Delmount angry for not getting him out of trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
2. What has stopped Carnelle from being a contestant in the pageant before?
3. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
4. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
5. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
6. What does Elain warn Popeye about in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. What are Elain's fears?
8. Describe the climax of the play.
9. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
10. Why does Carnelle lose the pageant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is defeat a theme in the story? Which characters feel defeated and which characters defeat their problems?
Essay Topic 2
How does Beth Henley use Southern dialect and culture in the play? What effect does it have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attraction between Elain and Mac Sam. What attracts them to each other? What effect does the attraction have on each character?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)