|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time in the evening Act 1, Scene 2, take place?
2. What caused Popeye's nickname?
3. What culture is explored in the play?
4. Which of the following does Carnelle hope for in the play's second act?
5. What does Delmount like the most in a romantic partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is comic relief used in the play?
2. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
3. How does Carnelle fail in the beauty pageant?
4. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
5. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
6. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
7. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
8. What is Delmount's redemption?
9. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
10. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the secondary characters in the play? What role do the secondary characters play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)