|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
2. What does Elain bring for Carnelle to wear in the first act?
3. What is Carnelle wearing when Popeye shows up at her house?
4. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
5. How many children did Carnelle's aunt have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
2. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
3. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
4. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
5. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
6. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
7. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
8. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
9. Describe the climax of the play.
10. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Carnelle experience a reversal of fortune? How does it change her outlook, or does it?
Essay Topic 2
What causes Carnelle to suffer embarrassment? What effect does it have on her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attraction between Elain and Mac Sam. What attracts them to each other? What effect does the attraction have on each character?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)