|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's advances?
2. How old is Carnelle?
3. Which character is on a conscious quest for romantic love?
4. What does Delmount like the most in a romantic partner?
5. What does Carnelle hope to gain from the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
2. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
3. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
4. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
5. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
6. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
7. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
8. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
9. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
10. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What causes Carnelle to suffer embarrassment? What effect does it have on her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the play's climax. What is the significance of the climax?
Essay Topic 3
How does Carnelle experience a reversal of fortune? How does it change her outlook, or does it?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)