|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time in the evening Act 1, Scene 2, take place?
2. What is the name of the beauty contest?
3. When Delmount arrives in the first act, what does Popeye explain to him?
4. Which character retires to bed with a headache?
5. What has deterred Carnelle from being in the contest before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
2. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
3. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
4. How is hope a theme in the play?
5. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
6. What is Carnelle's goal in the play? Why does she have this goal?
7. How does Carnelle look for love in the wrong ways?
8. Describe the climax of the play.
9. Why does Elain decide to go back to her husband?
10. How is comic relief used in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are content with their lives? In what ways is happiness a theme in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attraction between Elain and Mac Sam. What attracts them to each other? What effect does the attraction have on each character?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)