Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which of the following is Carnelle a victim?
2. Which character becomes distraught with unrequited feelings?
3. What is Popeye's occupation?
4. How old is Carnelle?
5. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
2. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
3. What has happened to Popeye's eyes?
4. What does the pageant symbolize?
5. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
6. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
7. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
8. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
9. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
10. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the statement Mac Sam makes about women needing to feel beautiful. How does this relate to the rest of the play? How is this a theme?
Essay Topic 2
How does Beth Henley use Southern dialect and culture in the play? What effect does it have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are seeking their self-identity? How do they seek to find it?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)