|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Carnelle hope for in the play's second act?
2. Who did Carnelle's aunt leave her house to when she died?
3. Which character is considered wealthy?
4. Which character does Delmount believe doesn't follow through with actions?
5. What does Elain warn Popeye about?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
2. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
3. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
4. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
5. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
6. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
7. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
8. How is comic relief used in the play?
9. Why does Carnelle think that Elain has had the perfect life?
10. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
Essay Topic 1
How is Popeye an example of an ironic character? What is the purpose of this irony?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carnelle's overall goal in joining the beauty pageant? What does she hope to gain from it?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of reputation does each character have in the play? How do they seek to change this? Are they successful?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)