|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Carnelle's aunt to die?
2. Which of the following does the playwright embellish the importance of?
3. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
4. Which character does Delmount believe doesn't follow through with actions?
5. For what did Popeye once make outfits to learn to sew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of the story? How do you know?
2. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
3. Why does Elain bring Carnelle a Mardi Gras mask?
4. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
5. How is hope a theme in the play?
6. Why does Carnelle turn down Mac Sam's invitation?
7. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
8. Why does Elain attract Mac Sam's attention to Popeye instead of herself?
9. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
10. How does Carnelle show that she will not let others dictate her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the effects of each character's childhood, based on what you know about them? How does their childhood still affect their adult life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the statement Mac Sam makes about women needing to feel beautiful. How does this relate to the rest of the play? How is this a theme?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are seeking their self-identity? How do they seek to find it?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)