|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Carnelle's aunt leave her house to when she died?
(c) Her church.
2. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
3. How many children did Carnelle's aunt have?
4. What caused Carnelle's aunt to die?
(a) A gunshot.
5. What did Delmount once injure a man with?
(a) Large rock.
(c) Beer bottle.
(d) Butter knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does the play take place?
2. On what day does Act 1, Scene 2, occur?
3. What does Elain bring for Carnelle to wear in the first act?
4. Which character brings Carnelle her costume for the pageant?
5. What does Carnelle hope to gain from the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Carnelle to win the contest after Delmount visits?
2. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
3. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
4. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
5. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
6. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
7. How is comic relief used in the play?
8. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
9. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
10. Why does Carnelle lose the pageant?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)