|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Elain that Popeye loves Delmount?
(c) Mac Sam.
2. Where does Elain's family live?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) Baton Rouge.
3. Which character attended a junior college?
4. How old was Elain when she won the beauty contest?
5. In what state does the play take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carnelle volunteer?
2. What type of dialect is used in the play?
3. Where does Carnelle work?
4. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
5. What is the name of the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
2. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
3. Who is Mac Sam and why is he significant to the story?
4. What routine does Carnelle plan to perform in the beauty contest? Be descriptive.
5. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
6. Why does Elain attract Mac Sam's attention to Popeye instead of herself?
7. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
8. How is comic relief used in the play?
9. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
10. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)