|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carnelle's last name?
2. Which of the following happens to Carnelle in the play's second act?
(a) Reversal of fortune.
(b) She falls in love.
(c) An injury.
3. What caused Popeye's nickname?
(a) Her mother started it.
(b) Her job.
(c) A bad experience at school.
(d) A childhood prank.
4. Which of the following does Carnelle hope for in the play's second act?
(a) To ensure Delmount and Popeye end up together.
(b) To find a new house to move to.
(c) To win money.
(d) To win the pageant.
5. In the first act, what drink does Carnelle serve to Popeye?
(a) Iced tea.
(c) Diet Coke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What culture is explored in the play?
2. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
3. What has destroyed Carnelle's spirit?
4. With whom does Delmount agree to split the income of his mother's house?
5. What does Popeye see that causes her to fall in love with Delmount?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mac Sam's motivations in the story?
2. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
3. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
4. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
5. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
6. What does the pageant symbolize?
7. What does Elain warn Popeye about in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What motivates Carnelle to win the contest after Delmount visits?
9. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
10. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)