|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elain's husband feel about her?
(a) He is apathetic toward her.
(b) He adores her.
(c) He is using her.
(d) He hates her.
2. When does the play take place?
3. Which of the following words best describes Popeye's appearance?
(a) A hidden beauty.
4. What does Delmount like the most in a romantic partner?
(c) Sense of humor.
5. What color is the dress that Carnelle asks Elain to borrow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carnelle wearing when Popeye shows up at her house?
2. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
3. How old was Elain when she won the beauty contest?
4. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who did Carnelle's aunt leave her house to when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
2. How is self-identity a theme in the play?
3. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
4. What is an example of irony in the play?
5. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
6. Why does Delmount decide to watch fireworks with Popeye?
7. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
8. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
9. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
10. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)