|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who consoles Popeye and Carnelle?
(b) Mac Sam.
2. What does Popeye see that causes her to fall in love with Delmount?
(a) A drawing he did as a kid.
(b) A photo of his son.
(c) A letter he wrote to Carnelle.
(d) A photo of him.
3. Which character does Delmount believe doesn't follow through with actions?
4. What has deterred Carnelle from being in the contest before?
(a) Her hair color.
(b) Her wardrobe.
(c) Her reputation.
(d) Her weight.
5. How does Elain's husband feel about her?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He adores her.
(c) He is using her.
(d) He is apathetic toward her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress that Carnelle asks Elain to borrow?
2. What caused Popeye's nickname?
3. What part of Popeye's body is injured?
4. What is the name of Elain's husband?
5. In what state does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is hope a theme in the play?
2. What is Delmount's reaction to Tessy's invitation?
3. How have Delmount and Elain distanced themselves from their mother?
4. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
5. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
6. Why do Delmount and Elain discuss the negative impact their mother had on their lives?
7. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
8. What does Carnelle hope to obtain from winning the pageant? Are these hopes reasonable?
9. What does Elain warn Popeye about in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. Why is Delmount in a good mood when he arrives at the pageant?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)