|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Carnelle when her father left her?
2. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
3. What is Popeye's last name?
4. Which of the following words best describes Popeye's appearance?
(c) A hidden beauty.
5. Which character does Delmount not approve of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the beauty contest?
2. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. On what day does Act 1, Scene 2, occur?
4. How does Elain's husband feel about her?
5. What is Popeye's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carnelle's goal in the play? Why does she have this goal?
2. What does the pageant symbolize?
3. How is comic relief used in the play?
4. By the end of the play, do you consider Carnelle to be defeated or undefeated?
5. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
6. Who calls for Elain and why is she not happy to talk to him?
7. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
8. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
9. What is Carnelle's nickname and how did she get it?
10. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)