|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Popeye's body is injured?
2. What has deterred Carnelle from being in the contest before?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her hair color.
(c) Her wardrobe.
(d) Her weight.
3. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Her son.
4. In what month does Act 1, Scene 1, occur?
5. What food does Carnelle serve to Popeye in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Garlic baked potatoes.
(c) Chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Saltine crackers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elain that Popeye loves Delmount?
2. How does Elain's husband feel about her?
3. Which of the following does Delmount want to study?
4. Which character does Delmount believe doesn't follow through with actions?
5. Which character attended a junior college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
2. What is an example of irony in the play?
3. What is Delmount's redemption?
4. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
5. How does Carnelle's family attempt to save her from embarrassment?
6. What does the pageant symbolize?
7. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
8. What do you think Mac Sam means when he says that women need to feel beautiful?
9. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
10. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)