|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is Carnelle supposed to be notified that she is eligible to be in the pageant?
(a) 4 a.m.
(b) 8 a.m.
(c) 9 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
2. Who tells Elain that Popeye loves Delmount?
(d) Mac Sam.
3. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
4. In what month does Act 1, Scene 1, occur?
5. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
(d) Her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carnelle's last name?
2. What color is the dress that Carnelle asks Elain to borrow?
3. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
4. What is the one thing that gives Carnelle prestige?
5. With whom does Delmount agree to split the income of his mother's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example of irony in the play?
2. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
3. What are Elain's fears?
4. What doesn't Delmount understand about Carnelle's obsession with the beauty pageant?
5. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
6. Describe the situation with Elain and her family.
7. How is hope a theme in the play?
8. Why has Elain been asked to speak at the beauty pageant?
9. Why does Elain attract Mac Sam's attention to Popeye instead of herself?
10. Describe the character of Delmount.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)