|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carnelle hope to gain from the beauty contest?
(a) A trophy.
2. Which of the following does Carnelle hope for in the play's second act?
(a) To win money.
(b) To ensure Delmount and Popeye end up together.
(c) To find a new house to move to.
(d) To win the pageant.
3. What is the name of the town that Carnelle lives in?
4. What color is Carnelle's hair for the contest?
5. What is Carnelle wearing when Popeye shows up at her house?
(a) A tutu.
(b) A leotard.
(c) A Halloween costume.
(d) A dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Carnelle's aunt have?
2. What is the name of Carnelle's uncle?
3. Which character has spent time in jail and a mental institution?
4. What is the name of Elain's husband?
5. What is the name of the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
2. What is an example of irony in the play?
3. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
4. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
5. How does Carnelle's fortune reverse in the play's second scene?
6. What causes Popeye to become distraught in the play's second scene?
7. How is hope a theme in the play?
8. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
9. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
10. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)