|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Elain's husband?
2. Which character brings Carnelle her costume for the pageant?
3. When does the play take place?
4. Which character does Delmount not approve of?
5. What is the name of the beauty contest?
(a) Miss Sparkler.
(b) Miss Independence.
(c) Miss Firework.
(d) Miss Firecracker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elain that Popeye loves Delmount?
2. Which character retires to bed with a headache?
3. Which character is considered wealthy?
4. When Delmount arrives in the first act, what does Popeye explain to him?
5. Who is Delmount's redemption foreshadowed to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Delmount think about his sister, Elain?
2. How does Delmount protect Carnelle's honor?
3. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
4. Describe the climax of the play.
5. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
6. What is Tessy's motivation in the story?
7. What is an example of irony in the play?
8. Why does Delmount decide to watch fireworks with Popeye?
9. What is in the shoebox that Tessy brings to Carnelle and what does it represent?
10. What has happened to Carnelle's mother and father?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)