|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character shows the most irony in the play?
2. Which word best describes Popeye's eye injury story?
3. Which character is on a conscious quest for romantic love?
4. What is Carnelle waiting for in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Popeye to take her measurements.
(b) Elain to show up.
(c) A visit from Tessy.
(d) A phone call.
5. What does Elain warn Popeye about?
(a) Delmount is already involved with another woman.
(b) Delmount's instability.
(c) Carnelle is mentally unstable.
(d) Delmount has always been violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carnelle's last name?
2. What has destroyed Carnelle's spirit?
3. Who calls for Elain in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. With whom is Delmount angry for not getting him out of trouble?
5. How old was Elain when she won the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is unhappiness a theme in the play?
2. What has stopped Carnelle from being a contestant in the pageant before?
3. How does the play's southern culture play a role in the pageant events? How does the culture contrast with the way the community acts?
4. Why is Delmount avoiding Tessy?
5. Describe three ways Carnelle is attempting to better her reputation.
6. Describe Carnelle's experience walking in the parade.
7. Why doesn't Delmount respond to Popeye's romantic advances?
8. Describe how Carnelle's persistence is not helpful in her life.
9. Describe how Carnelle is coming to terms with life's unpredictability.
10. What elements of the story foreshadow that things will go wrong for Carnelle in the pageant?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)