Act 1, Scene 1
• The play is set in Mississippi in the 1980s, where Carnelle lives.
• Carnelle's goal is to win the local beauty contest.
• Popeye, Carnelle's friend, has arrived to take measurements for Carnelle's costume.
• Carnelle has been living in her aunt's home alone since her aunt died in December.
• Carnelle's aunt has raised her since she was 9 years old; both her parents have died at this point.
• Elain and Delmount show up at the house; both are Carnelle's cousins.
• Elain was once crowned Miss Firecracker.
• Popeye has fallen in love with Delmount and explains to him the eye injury she claims allows her to hear things through her eyes.
Act 1, Scene 2
• Carnelle is awaiting a call from the pageant coordinator about her acceptance into the pageant.
• Franklin calls to talk to Elain and wants her to come back home.
• Carnelle gets the call that she was accepted into...
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)