|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob say his grandfather sent Jacob to do?
2. Who does Jacob have to avoid after leaving Victor's room in Chapter 8?
3. Who decides s/he is best equipped to make a sneak attack in Chapter 10?
4. What is one question the other children ask Miss Peregrine in Chapter 6?
5. Who sends Emma a photograph of a child named Susie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob's father react when Jacob returns and how do they settle their disagreement in Chapter 6?
2. Why do Jacob and Emma run desperately down the steps of the lighthouse and what do they see when they get outside?
3. Who is murdered in Cairnholm in Chapter 10 and what does Jacob think happened?
4. Why is Miss Peregrine angry with Jacob when he returns to the Home in Chapter 8?
5. What would happen if the children left the loop in their own time period?
6. What news do Hugh and Fiona have for Jacob and Emma when the two return to the beach in Chapter 9?
7. What monster can enter loops? Who among the peculiars is killed in Chapter 9 and by what?
8. What does Jacob realize is true about his "peculiarity" in Chapter 9?
9. What is Emma's reaction when she finds Jacob looking over the letters between her and Abe, and how does this confrontation make Jacob leery of Emma's advances?
10. Who are several more of the children Jacob meets in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the elements of the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)