Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacob act to the sound of planes?
2. What does Miss Peregrine say she was unsure of concerning Jacob?
3. What does Jacob have to avoid after leaving Victor's room?
4. What do Jacob and his guide do when they go in the cairn?
5. What is Emma's talent?
One of the enduring myths of the human race is that of The Hero's Journey. Jacob leaves his home, embarks on a simultaneous outer and inner journey, and emerges transformed, with a new world view and perspective.
The reason this particular point in Jacob's story is such a good place to comment on its relationship to The Hero's Journey is that his emergence from darkness into light, his "rebirth" is an example of a motif or repeated image that very often, almost inescapably, appears in Hero's Journey narratives.
1. Discuss what you see is the outer journey that Jacob undertakes. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss Jacob's inner journey and how he was changed by it. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss why it might be true that a Hero's Journey always involves moving from darkness into light, in the form especially of self knowledge. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Who has died a physical death? Were their deaths necessary to the story? Who has died a metaphorical death? In what way was the metaphorical death occurring?
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)