|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Peregrine react to the news about the murder?
2. Who meets Jacob and Emma as they come back through the cairn?
3. Why is Miss Peregrine angry with Jacob?
4. Who takes Jacob back to the cairn?
5. Who else has arrived on the island that discourages Jacob's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news do Hugh and Fiona have for Jacob and Emma when the two return to the beach?
2. How does Jacob end up finding some letters from Abe to Jacob?
3. Describe a couple of the children who Miss Peregrine introduces to Jacob.
4. What does Jacob realize is true about his "peculiarity"?
5. What would happen if the children leave the loop in their own time period?
6. Why does Miss Avocet say she is there?
7. How does the emotions between Emma and Jacob intensify?
8. What is Jacob's dilemma?
9. Why can't Jacob's father or Miss Peregrine help Jacob solve his dilemma?
10. What strangeness does Jacob notice when he wakes the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jacob and his father. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Emma and Miss Peregrine. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)