|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen if the children leave the Home?
2. What does Emma say is Jacob's talent?
3. What room does Jacob inadvertently duck into when avoiding someone else?
4. Who is able to see the hollowgast?
5. Who takes Jacob back to the cairn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Avocet say she is there?
2. What is wrong with Victor and what does his sister want Enoch to do about it?
3. How does Jacob's father react when Jacob returns and how do they settle their disagreement?
4. What happens at dinner that causes Jacob sudden panic and how do the children react?
5. What is Jacob's dilemma?
6. How is it apparent that their may be a budding romance between Jacob and Emma?
7. Why is Miss Peregrine angry with Jacob?
8. How does the emotions between Emma and Jacob intensify?
9. Who is murdered in Cairnholm and what does Jacob think happened?
10. Why can't Jacob's father or Miss Peregrine help Jacob solve his dilemma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)