|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Peregrine react to the news about the murder?
2. What have Miss Peregrine and the children prepared for Jacob?
3. What has been killed while Jacob is gone this day?
4. What is the first thing Jacob notices when he wakes?
5. What does Jacob say about Abe's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are several more of the children Jacob meets?
2. Describe a couple of the children who Miss Peregrine introduces to Jacob.
3. How is it apparent that their may be a budding romance between Jacob and Emma?
4. What happens at dinner that causes Jacob sudden panic and how do the children react?
5. Who is murdered in Cairnholm and what does Jacob think happened?
6. How does Jacob end up finding some letters from Abe to Jacob?
7. Describe Jacob's second monster kill.
8. How does the emotions between Emma and Jacob intensify?
9. Describe the children's quest to reach the lighthouse island.
10. Why does Miss Avocet say she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jacob and his father. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Emma and Miss Peregrine. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)