Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacob act to the sound of planes?
2. What does Miss Peregrine say she was unsure of concerning Jacob?
3. What does Jacob have to avoid after leaving Victor's room?
4. What do Jacob and his guide do when they go in the cairn?
5. What is Emma's talent?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Who has died a physical death? Were their deaths necessary to the story? Who has died a metaphorical death? In what way was the metaphorical death occurring?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)