|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bronwyn stop Golan from shooting the birds?
2. What would happen if the children leave the Home?
3. Who takes Jacob back to the cairn?
4. According to Enoch, what doesn't Emma believe the children should do?
5. Who is Miss Avocet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Who has died a physical death? Were their deaths necessary to the story? Who has died a metaphorical death? In what way was the metaphorical death occurring?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Ransom Riggs.
2. What in Riggs's background may have helped him in writing Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 2,872 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)