|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob say he will do when his grandfather calls?
2. What is the cause of the recent change Jacob discusses?
3. Why does Jacob think people are staring at him?
4. What is Jacob's job in his family's business?
5. How does Jacob sleep the first night at the Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Jacob to run into the bog near the house?
2. How is the last leg of the journey to Cairnholm accomplished, and what do they see in the waters along the way?
3. How does Emma effect her and Jacob's escape from the village people?
4. What does Miss Peregrine say about ymbrynes?
5. How does Jacob's father explain Abe's stories?
6. Where do Ricky and Jacob find Abe and what does Abe tell Jacob?
7. Describe Jacob's conversation with Martin Pagett's uncle Oggie.
8. How do Jacob and the other two get to the home and how does Emma act towards Jacob?
9. Describe the "help" Jacob gets from Dylan and Worm in finding the site of the former children's home.
10. What does Jacob convince his parents that he should do to help him recover from Abe's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)