|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the trunk end up in the basement?
2. Where has Jacob seen the view he sees from one end of the tunnel?
3. What form can an ymbryne take?
4. How is Ricky described?
5. What is one photograph Abe shows Jacob?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob watch out of the window of the house?
2. What does Jacob find inside the old trunk?
3. What is different about the island when Jacob emerges from the tunnel?
4. What does Jacob say about his grandfather and a special school?
5. Where do Ricky and Jacob find Abe and what does Abe tell Jacob?
6. How do Jacob and the other two get to the home and how does Emma act towards Jacob?
7. How does Emma effect her and Jacob's escape from the village people?
8. What motivates Jacob to run into the bog near the house?
9. Where is Jacob when his grandfather calls him and what does the grandfather want?
10. What does Jacob tell his parents, the police and Ricky and what is their response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)