|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lillian afraid she will go to jail?
2. How does Julia react to the final disposition of the will?
3. Julia wonders if the doctor is interested in her ____________ or for her money.
4. Who becomes a couple by the end of the novel?
5. With whom does Brother Vern clash immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the item that Little Lloyd entrusted to Julia and how does she react to it?
2. Describe the comedic drive to the broadcast station in Spartanburg.
3. How do the women finally determine that Brother Vern is up to no good?
4. Describe the chaos in Julia's house with all the characters assembled with various agendas.
5. What is Pastor Ledbetter's diagnosis of Julia and what does he recommend?
6. How is Julia treated by Dr. Fowler as she shows him around the church?
7. Does Julia think that Sam would be able to keep her secret about the new will?
8. How does the visit from Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler foreshadow more trouble for Julia?
9. What shocks Julia, Lillian and Hazel as they watch Brother Vern's broadcast?
10. Why does Julia unbutton her dress and what is the reaction of the people gathered in her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Julia's life. Will Hazel and Little Lloyd still be present in her life? What kind of child is Little Lloyd? What role does Sam play in Julia's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)