|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Julia finds Little Lloyd in the pantry gathering up _____________.
2. What is the doctor's demeanor toward Julia?
3. Julia makes phone calls to all the _____________ she can.
4. How much money does Julia offer for Brother Vern's cause?
5. How does Hazel view the disposition of the new will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Julia think that Sam would be able to keep her secret about the new will?
2. How do Ledbetter and Fowler try to capitalize on the confusion in Julia's home to force their objective?
3. What is Pastor Ledbetter's diagnosis of Julia and what does he recommend?
4. What options does Julia consider regarding the new will?
5. To whom does Little Lloyd entrust the item that his father gave to him on the night that he died?
6. What is the nature of the visit of Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler?
7. What conclusion does Julia come to regarding Ledbetter and Fowler's intentions?
8. What does Little Lloyd say that Brother Vern is after?
9. What is the item that Little Lloyd entrusted to Julia and how does she react to it?
10. How does the visit from Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler foreshadow more trouble for Julia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Ross choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)