|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julia see when she runs her errand?
2. What does Lillian tell Julia about Little Lloyd when she sees his bag?
3. Why does Julia suspect that Hazel Puckett went to Raleigh?
4. What is Brother Vern's profession?
5. How does Wesley Lloyd Springer die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
2. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
3. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
4. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
5. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
6. What advice does Binkie Enloe give to Julia regarding any lawsuits filed?
7. Why does Julia feel she cannot talk to Pastor Ledbetter about all the problems that have cropped up in her life recently?
8. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
9. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
10. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Hazel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hazel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Ross choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)