|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lillian?
2. What item does the woman in #6 show to Julia?
3. What program is associated with Brother Vern?
4. What is one reason Julia would like to see Little Lloyd leave?
5. What does Julia tell Deputy Bates about Hazel's whereabouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
2. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
3. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
4. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
5. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
6. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
7. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
8. What do Julia, Detective Bates and Little Lloyd discover when they enter Hazel Puckett's house?
9. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
10. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Does Ross end the story on a note of hope for Julia or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with her dead husband, Wesley Lloyd? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is an important theme in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)