Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does the woman in #6 show to Julia?
2. What is in front of Julia's house when she returns home?
3. Who is Pastor Ledbetter's secretary?
4. Why does Lillian advise Julia not to notify authorities about the boy?
5. Who is the little boy's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
2. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
3. When does Julia realize that she did not know her husband at all?
4. What is Pastor Ledbetter's diagnosis of Julia and what does he recommend?
5. What does Little Lloyd say that Brother Vern is after?
6. Why does Julia feel she cannot talk to Pastor Ledbetter about all the problems that have cropped up in her life recently?
7. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
8. Describe the chaos in Julia's house with all the characters assembled with various agendas.
9. What are the plans that Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler have in mind for Julia?
10. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
Essay Topic 1
Does Ross end the story on a note of hope for Julia or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with her dead husband, Wesley Lloyd? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Julia's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Julia's life. Will Hazel and Little Lloyd still be present in her life? What kind of child is Little Lloyd? What role does Sam play in Julia's life? Explain.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)