|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lillian tell Julia about Little Lloyd when she sees his bag?
2. Who is Earl Frady?
3. What does Leonard Conover talk to Julia about?
4. What is Julia Springer's marital status?
5. Where had Brother Vern taken Hazel instead of taking her to Raleigh as planned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Binkie Enloe give to Julia regarding any lawsuits filed?
2. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
3. What is Lillian's perspective on why Little Lloyd left his bag of possessions at Julia's house?
4. In what way does Julia begin to speak her mind after church one Sunday?
5. What do Julia, Detective Bates and Little Lloyd discover when they enter Hazel Puckett's house?
6. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
7. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
8. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
9. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
10. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Julia's life. Will Hazel and Little Lloyd still be present in her life? What kind of child is Little Lloyd? What role does Sam play in Julia's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Wesley Lloyd. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Wesley Lloyd?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)