|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Julia been married to her husband?
2. What does Hazel think that Brother Vern is looking for?
3. Where does Julia take Little Lloyd the morning after the break-in?
4. How is Brother Vern related to Hazel Puckett?
5. Why does Julia spend a sleepless night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
2. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
3. What is Lillian's perspective on why Little Lloyd left his bag of possessions at Julia's house?
4. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
5. Who is Sam Murdoch and why does Julia place so much trust in him?
6. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
7. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
8. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
9. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
10. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is an important theme in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)