|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Julia grow up?
2. What type of haircut does Julia tell the barber to give Little Lloyd?
3. Pastor Ledbetter says that all Julia's troubles started when ___________________.
4. Binkie Enloe tells Julia that ______________ has filed a lawsuit against the estate.
5. Julia surmises that Hazel'a house was ransacked because the men were looking for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lillian's perspective on why Little Lloyd left his bag of possessions at Julia's house?
2. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
3. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
4. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
5. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
6. Why does Julia feel she cannot talk to Pastor Ledbetter about all the problems that have cropped up in her life recently?
7. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
8. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
9. In what way does Julia begin to speak her mind after church one Sunday?
10. How recently has Julia Springer been widowed and what is she doing as the novel begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Ross choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Brother Vern. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Vern?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)