|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Julia, Little Lloyd and Deputy Bates drive to the location in #53?
2. What person accompanies the person in #6?
3. Who does Julia see when she runs her errand?
4. How long has Julia lived in the town in #16?
5. What shocks Julia about her visit with Pastor Ledbetter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
2. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
3. How recently has Julia Springer been widowed and what is she doing as the novel begins?
4. What is Lillian's perspective on why Little Lloyd left his bag of possessions at Julia's house?
5. Who is Sam Murdoch and why does Julia place so much trust in him?
6. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
7. What does Sam advise Julia to do in order to check on Little Lloyd?
8. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
9. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
10. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Hazel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hazel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Ross choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)