|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Julia about her visit with Pastor Ledbetter?
2. Who has taken over Sam's law practice since his retirement?
3. What does Lillian tell Julia about her husband's affair?
4. Why does Julia suspect that Hazel Puckett went to Raleigh?
5. What does Deputy Bates tell Julia about his earlier discovery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julia unbutton her dress and what is the reaction of the people gathered in her home?
2. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
3. How does Julia try to find Brother Vern?
4. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
5. What is the nature of the visit of Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler?
6. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
7. What does Little Lloyd say that Brother Vern is after?
8. What is the item that Little Lloyd entrusted to Julia and how does she react to it?
9. What are the plans that Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler have in mind for Julia?
10. What is the purpose of Detective Peavey's visit to Julia's house?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
This section contains 1,767 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)