|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sam Murdoch's profession before he retired?
2. What topic does Julia later talk to Deputy Bates about?
3. Why has Hazel been beaten?
4. What is one reason Julia would like to see Little Lloyd leave?
5. Who comes to Julia's house with some shocking news?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
2. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
3. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
4. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
5. What does Sam advise Julia to do in order to check on Little Lloyd?
6. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
7. What is Julia's response when Lillian tells her about the rumors around town?
8. In what way does Julia begin to speak her mind after church one Sunday?
9. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
10. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Wesley Lloyd. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Wesley Lloyd?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)