|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Binkie Enloe?
2. Where had Brother Vern taken Hazel instead of taking her to Raleigh as planned?
3. What shocks Julia about her visit with Pastor Ledbetter?
4. What is Lillian able to do that Julia is not?
5. Who had beaten Hazel after Brother Vern took her back to her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
2. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
3. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
4. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
5. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
6. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
7. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
8. What do Julia, Detective Bates and Little Lloyd discover when they enter Hazel Puckett's house?
9. How recently has Julia Springer been widowed and what is she doing as the novel begins?
10. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Brother Vern. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Vern?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hazel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hazel?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)