|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brother Vern's full name?
2. What had Brother Vern repeatedly questioned Hazel about?
3. How long had Julia been married to her husband?
4. Why has Brother Vern come to Julia's house?
5. How old is Julia Springer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
2. Who is Sam Murdoch and why does Julia place so much trust in him?
3. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
4. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
5. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
6. What is Julia's first response after the boy is left at her house and why does she change her mind?
7. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
8. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
9. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
10. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Sam Murdoch. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Sam?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)