|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Julia's house with some shocking news?
2. Where does Sam want to take Julia to get her mind off of matters?
3. Who is Sam Murdoch?
4. What type of haircut does Julia tell the barber to give Little Lloyd?
5. What does Pastor Ledbetter want Julia to do about her husband's infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia plan to make her dead husband suffer by the way she manages this situation?
2. Why does Julia feel she cannot talk to Pastor Ledbetter about all the problems that have cropped up in her life recently?
3. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
4. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
5. Who is Sam Murdoch and why does Julia place so much trust in him?
6. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
7. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
8. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
9. In what way does Julia begin to speak her mind after church one Sunday?
10. What is Julia's response when Lillian tells her about the rumors around town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Does Ross end the story on a note of hope for Julia or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with her dead husband, Wesley Lloyd? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)