|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam Murdoch?
2. What program is associated with Brother Vern?
3. In what state did Julia grow up?
4. What does Deputy Bates tell Julia about his earlier discovery?
5. Why is Lillian not too happy with Julia when Lillian arrives for work the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
2. What do Julia, Detective Bates and Little Lloyd discover when they enter Hazel Puckett's house?
3. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
4. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
5. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
6. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
7. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
8. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
9. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
10. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Julia. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Julia?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)