|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lillian tell Julia about her husband's affair?
2. What is the little boy's name?
3. Who is Binkie Enloe?
4. What day is it when Chapter 14 begins?
5. What is Lillian able to do that Julia is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
2. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
3. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
4. How is Brother Vern's betrayal the final straw for Julia in terms of being taken for granted?
5. What does Julia learn about her husband's wealth and her inheritance?
6. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
7. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
8. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
9. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
10. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Julia. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Julia?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Julia's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)