|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what has Sam recently resigned?
2. What is the only factor in Julia's life that is different and could be related to the trouble?
3. Why does Julia suspect that Hazel Puckett went to Raleigh?
4. What are Julia's financial circumstances?
5. Why has Brother Vern come to Julia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam advise Julia to do in order to check on Little Lloyd?
2. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
3. What was the nature of the relationship between Julia and Wesley Lloyd and why did he choose her for his wife?
4. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
5. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
6. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
7. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
8. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
9. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
10. How recently has Julia Springer been widowed and what is she doing as the novel begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Julia. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Julia?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)