|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wayne Peavey?
2. Who had beaten Hazel after Brother Vern took her back to her house?
3. What are Julia's financial circumstances?
4. What does Lillian tell Julia about her husband's affair?
5. What is the little boy's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
2. What are the plans that Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler have in mind for Julia?
3. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
4. Why does Julia unbutton her dress and what is the reaction of the people gathered in her home?
5. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
6. What is the purpose of Detective Peavey's visit to Julia's house?
7. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
8. What does Sam advise Julia to do in order to check on Little Lloyd?
9. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
10. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)