Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does the woman in #6 show to Julia?
2. What is in front of Julia's house when she returns home?
3. Who is Pastor Ledbetter's secretary?
4. Why does Lillian advise Julia not to notify authorities about the boy?
5. Who is the little boy's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
2. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
3. When does Julia realize that she did not know her husband at all?
4. What is Pastor Ledbetter's diagnosis of Julia and what does he recommend?
5. What does Little Lloyd say that Brother Vern is after?
6. Why does Julia feel she cannot talk to Pastor Ledbetter about all the problems that have cropped up in her life recently?
7. What is Sam able to tell Julia about whether her husband planned on leaving his estate to the church?
8. Describe the chaos in Julia's house with all the characters assembled with various agendas.
9. What are the plans that Pastor Ledbetter and Dr. Fowler have in mind for Julia?
10. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Hazel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hazel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Wesley Lloyd and Pastor Ledbetter. Both men had and have influence over Julia but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)