|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason Julia would like to see Little Lloyd leave?
2. What is Brother Vern's profession?
3. Who is Sam Murdoch?
4. Who is Pastor Ledbetter's secretary?
5. What is the only factor in Julia's life that is different and could be related to the trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
2. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
3. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
4. What was the nature of the relationship between Julia and Wesley Lloyd and why did he choose her for his wife?
5. Why does Julia think that her house was ransacked?
6. How is Brother Vern's betrayal the final straw for Julia in terms of being taken for granted?
7. What startles Julia about the vehicle Brother Vern is driving and another one driving by her house?
8. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
9. What does Julia find at her home when she returns from Hazel's house?
10. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Hazel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hazel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family unit to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)