|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deputy Bates send Julia and Little Lloyd home after reaching their destination?
2. What person accompanies the person in #6?
3. What vehicle drives by Julia's house, startling her?
4. Who comes to Julia's house late one night?
5. What does Pastor Ledbetter want Julia to do about her husband's infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia plan to make her dead husband suffer by the way she manages this situation?
2. Why is Julia anxious to speak to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation and how does he disappoint her?
3. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
4. What element of foreshadowing does the author insert into the barbershop scene?
5. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
6. How is Julia selfless in the ways that she helps Hazel and Little Lloyd?
7. Who is Brother Vern and how does Julia encounter him?
8. What is Julia's response when Lillian tells her about the rumors around town?
9. Who is Sam Murdoch and why does Julia place so much trust in him?
10. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Wesley Lloyd. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Wesley Lloyd?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Julia and Pastor Ledbetter. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Julia learn about taking control of her life due to her experiences with Pastor Ledbetter?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Julia's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)