|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does the woman in #6 show to Julia?
2. Julia tells the person in #94 that she will be using her home __________________.
3. Who does Julia see when she runs her errand?
4. What does Brother Vern tell Little Lloyd to gather up before they go?
5. How long has Julia lived in the town in #16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lillian's perspective on why Little Lloyd left his bag of possessions at Julia's house?
2. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
3. What proof does Hazel have of her son's father and why does she leave him with Julia?
4. Why has Sam resigned as an elder at the church?
5. What does Julia learn about her husband's wealth and her inheritance?
6. What mixed feelings does Julia have when Brother Vern arrives to take Little Lloyd?
7. Why does Julia not know how to deal with any romantic overtures from Sam?
8. Describe the events that happened to Hazel after she and Brother Vern dropped Little Lloyd at Julia's house.
9. In what way does Julia begin to speak her mind after church one Sunday?
10. How does Julia know that the whole town will soon know her business after she has had a visit from LuAnne Conover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Ross choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Ross is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Wesley Lloyd and Pastor Ledbetter. Both men had and have influence over Julia but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)