|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Julia's house with some shocking news?
2. What news makes Hazel especially upset?
3. Why does Julia not feel that she can talk to Pastor Ledbetter about her situation?
4. Who had beaten Hazel after Brother Vern took her back to her house?
5. What is in front of Julia's house when she returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Little Lloyd coming into Julia's life?
2. What is the purpose of Detective Peavey's visit to Julia's house?
3. Who arrives at Julia's house to interrupt her morning?
4. How do Ledbetter and Fowler try to capitalize on the confusion in Julia's home to force their objective?
5. Why does Julia offer a reward at Brother Vern's request?
6. What is Pastor Ledbetter's diagnosis of Julia and what does he recommend?
7. What unnerves Julia when she goes out for a drive?
8. Who is Binkie Enloe and why does Sam encourage Julia to call her?
9. What do Sam and Binkie tell Julia about her competency status?
10. How does Julia plan to make her dead husband suffer by the way she manages this situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ross is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Julia's life. Will Hazel and Little Lloyd still be present in her life? What kind of child is Little Lloyd? What role does Sam play in Julia's life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ross end the story on a note of hope for Julia or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with her dead husband, Wesley Lloyd? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)