|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Brother Vern related to Hazel Puckett?
(a) He is her father.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her stepfather.
2. What is the nature of Pastor Ledbetter's sermon the next morning?
(a) Judge not lest ye be judged.
(b) The good samaritan.
(c) Women being the bedrock of the family.
(d) Turn the other cheek.
3. What is Lillian able to do that Julia is not?
(b) Voice her opinions.
(c) Sew clothing.
(d) Bake pies.
4. What vehicle drives by Julia's house, startling her?
(a) A white limousine.
(b) A green VW.
(c) A tractor.
(d) A black truck.
5. Where does Julia take Little Lloyd the morning after the break-in?
(a) Children's Services Agency.
(c) His grandmother's house.
(d) Foster care home.
6. What person accompanies the person in #6?
(a) A minister.
(b) A sheriff.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A little boy.
7. How long had Julia's husband had an affair?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 17 years.
(d) 3 years.
8. Who had beaten Hazel after Brother Vern took her back to her house?
(b) Mafia goons.
(c) Brother Vern.
(d) Her cousins.
9. What does Deputy Bates tell Julia about his earlier discovery?
(a) She should get new locks on her doors.
(b) He is going on vacation for two weeks.
(c) The blood in the Puckett garage is human.
(d) Someone has tapped her phone.
10. Julia surmises that Hazel'a house was ransacked because the men were looking for _______________.
(a) something to prove that Hazel was in Wesley Lloyd's will.
(b) Rare coins.
(c) A diamond ring.
11. What is the profession of the person in #9?
12. What does Hazel think that Brother Vern is looking for?
(a) Rare coins.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) Gold bullion.
13. What does Julia tell Deputy Bates about Hazel's whereabouts?
(a) She tells him nothing.
(b) She tells him she is in the city jail.
(c) She tells him she is back at her home.
(d) She tells him she has left the state.
14. Who is Julia's boarder?
(a) Ed Swenson.
(b) Jack Miller.
(c) Coleman Bates.
(d) Willie Robinson.
15. Why is Lillian not too happy with Julia when Lillian arrives for work the next day?
(a) She didn't tell Lillian about lunch guests coming.
(b) She left dirty dishes in the sink.
(c) Julia let the boy go off with Brother Vern.
(d) She didn't tell Lillian that the kitchen is being painted today.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Julia, Little Lloyd and Deputy Bates drive to?
2. What does Brother Vern tell Little Lloyd to gather up before they go?
3. Where does Julia take Little Lloyd after they leave the lawyer's office?
4. Why does Julia suspect that Hazel Puckett went to Raleigh?
5. What does Julia find in the bag that Little Lloyd carried?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)