|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lee get instead of a salary from Stillwater College?
(a) Money for a literary magazine.
(b) Immunity from sexual harassment complaints.
(c) Control over hiring and firing in the English department.
(d) A travel allowance.
2. Why does Peggy not want to go to a judge to get a divorce?
(a) Fear of losing custody.
(b) Shame for her childrearing.
(c) Fear of publicity.
(d) Fear of Lee’s temper.
3. How does Karen characterize Temple’s role in her life?
(b) Partner in crime.
(c) Bête noir.
(d) Best friend.
4. How does Lee pull out of the parking lot after he thinks he sees Mireille?
(b) At full speed.
(c) In reverse.
(d) At a miserable crawl.
5. Who is Lee’s bête noir on the Stillwater Review board?
(a) The phoenix.
(b) The geeky girl.
(c) The Amazon.
(d) The Maoist.
6. How does the narrator characterize the police’s response to Peggy’s disappearance?
(b) Feverish interest.
(c) Slow and sloppy investigation.
(d) Casual, professional curiosity.
7. How does Lee console himself after he finds that Byrdie’s perfections make him feel bad about himself?
(a) By riding a horse into the woods.
(b) By shopping.
(c) By getting ice cream.
(d) By swimming in the lake.
8. How much does Meg get for selling a dead raccoon to a bait shop?
9. What is Lomax Hunter’s racial background?
(a) Descendent of slaves.
(c) Mattaponi Indian.
(d) Mixed-race descendent of blacks, whites and Natives.
10. What color does Lee’s friend Cary say Lee’s aura is?
(d) Dark blue.
11. Why does the narrator say people came to visit Stillwater College from all over?
(a) The remarkable food.
(b) The beautiful vistas.
(c) The famous poet.
(d) The infamous parties.
12. What does Lee turn to when he feels washed up in poetry?
13. What kind of reading material has Peggy brought with her to the shack?
(a) Animal identification guides.
(c) Reference books.
14. What does Byrdie say he distinctly remembers about his mother?
(a) Badgering her for candy.
(b) Telling her to leave.
(c) Negotiating between her and Lee.
(d) Begging her to stay.
15. What does Lee do with Peggy’s things after she leaves?
(a) Throws them out.
(b) Donates them to the college.
(c) Saves them in storage.
(d) Sends them to her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mislaid set?
2. What is Meg’s requirement for her career?
3. What was the response to the missing person ad Lee ran?
4. What keeps the students at Stillwater College from swimming in the lake that borders the college?
5. Who was the first poet Lee invited to Stillwater College?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)